I totally hit the chupacabra of dream jobs when I was surfing the Web this weekend. If you love social media and sports, this job has your name written all over it: XFINITY Presents The Ultimate Sports Social Media Job Contest.
What it's all about
The company, XFINITY, is on the search for the next big name in social media and sports. The rules are simple: you have to be at least 18 years old and living in the United States (including District of Columbia).
If you can pass those two requirements, here's what's up next:
- Log into Facebook and "like" XFINITY (while you're there, you better "like" CollegeXpress!).
- Submit the online form along with a video between 30 seconds and two minutes in length that demonstrates "your sports knowledge, social media expertise, personality, and passion for XFINITY products and services."
- Your video will then be voted on by the public, so this is where you get everyone you've ever met to vote for you. This will catapult you into the semi-finals if you get enough votes.
- The five semi-finalists with the most votes head to the "Final Five."
- Judges will evaluate the finalists "on their ability to chronicle their experiences via Tweets, video uploads, and Facebook posts."
- The five finalists will be swept off their feet to a sporting event where they will be asked to "chronicle their experience via tweeting, posting videos, and posting short blog/Facebook posts."
Who should go for it
The bottom line with this is that it's a job. It's an amazing opportunity, but it's a job. Most of you playing sports are already in a full-time job with your practices, games, school, extracurriculars, etc. I would say that this is not the job for you; you just won't have enough time!
This is a great chance for those who stopped playing sports after high school or for whatever reason have some extra time on their hands. You have to have time to hang out on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube throughout the day, along with being able to be up on all of the sports games going on that you’ll be required to cover.
The experience is valuable enough, but the grand prize also comes with a one-year agreement to work behind the scenes for XFINITY sporting events, estimated at $40,000 (value may vary). I think this job is incredible—and talk about paying for some of that pricey tuition.
So what are you waiting for? Get your video camera out and start taping. Make sure to read all the fine print so you're following all the rules. Deadline is February 6, 2012, 11:59 PM, EST.
If you end up in the semis--or, you know, ultimately win--I want a shout out!