In the February 6 USA Today article "For parents, the search for summer camp is on," independent camp consultant Jill Tipograph pointed out two specialty summer camp sessions that are especially hot for camp seekers: cooking instruction and lacrosse.
We know our readers are nothing if not trendsetters, so we scoured our camp database to find the best culinary arts and lacrosse camps in the United States and abroad. Click on the camp names to view detailed program descriptions, age ranges, costs, and more.
Cooking and culinary arts camps
Your DVR is overflowing with episodes of Top Chef and Chopped, you spend hours slicing and dicing instead of microwaving canned soup, and you joined Twitter just to follow @chefsymon: Sounds like a cooking/culinary arts program could be the missing ingredient from your summer.
Summer camp cooking instruction ranges from basic dishes to sophisticated culinary techniques--one of the camps listed below actually teaches "advanced garnishing." Programs abroad often focus on preparing regional cuisine, and camps featuring baking and pastry arts courses will satisfy you Cake Boss wannabes.
- Abbey Road Summer Programs, Los Angeles, CA
- Camp Culinary Creations, San Diego, CA
- Grambling State University, Culinary Arts Camp, Grambling, LA
- EXPLO at Wellesley, Wellesley, MA
- North Dakota State College of Science, Culinary Intensive, Wahpeton, ND
- CampusNYC, CulinaryNYC, Brooklyn, NY
- Culinary Institute of America, Career Discovery for High School Students, Hyde Park, NY
- Maplebrook School Summer Program, Amenia, NY
- Passport NYC, Culinary Arts Camp, New York, NY
- Summer Discovery, UPenn Culinary Arts, Philadelphia, PA
- Johnson & Wales University, Career Explorations, Providence, RI
- Ferrum College Summer Enrichment Camp, Ferrum, VA
- The Experiment in International Living, Brattleboro, VT
- Summer Discovery, Florence, Italy
- Don Quijote Summer Camps, Madrid, Spain
- Summer Discovery, Barcelona, Spain
Can we really call baseball "America's pastime" when it borrows so much from the British sport of cricket? Football rules the TV ratings, but it turns out viciously smashing your head against other heads for a couple hours a week is not so great for your brain. Basketball has always discriminated against the vertically challenged. And we were watching a fight the other day when a hockey game broke out.
It's not hard to see why lacrosse--a sport with Native American roots that may trace its origin to as far back as the 12th century--is gaining popularity among America's top young athletes. Check out one of the camps below to learn from expert instructors and compete against top athletes from around the country.
- Camp Greylock, Becket, MA
- Kutsher's Sports Academy, Great Barrington, MA
- Camp Mah-Kee-Nac, Lenox, MA
- Camp Winadu, Pittsfield, MA
- Camp All-Star, Kents Hill, ME
- Camp Skylemar, Naples, ME
- Camp Winaukee, Moultonboro, NH
- Princeton University Sports Camps, Princeton, NJ
- Brant Lake Camp, Brant Lake, NY
- Forrestel Farm Camp, Medina, NY
- International Sports Training Camp, Stroudsburg, PA
- McCallie Lacrosse Camps, Chattanooga, TN
- McCallie SportsCamp, Chattanooga, TN
- Merestead Sports Camps, Richmond, VA
- Camp Chikopi, Magnetawan, Ontario, Canada
- Muskoka Woods Summer Camp, Rosseau, Ontario, Canada
- Olympia Sports Camp, Huntsville, Ontario, Canada