As Maine’s only Catholic college, Saint Joseph’s provides a values-centered education that serves the student—and the world. At its southern Maine setting, just minutes from Portland, a partnership among students, faculty, and administration sets a high standard of achievement and engagement. Whether it’s leading campus activities or joining intramural sports, campus ministry, or just hanging out with friends at The Chalet, campus life at Saint Joseph’s is all about choices.
When you step into a classroom at Saint Joseph’s College, you’re truly getting personal attention. Most classes have only 20–25 students, and our student-faculty ratio is 14:1. Professors offer not only their expertise but also a part of themselves. You’ll feel important at Saint Joseph’s, like your future actually matters to someone besides you and your parents.
Saint Joseph’s offers more than 40 majors and concentrations based on a strong liberal arts foundation. The College offers an honors program as well as a program that counsels students still determining their major. Study Away is offered through the International Student Exchange Program and Council on International Education Exchange.
Academics at Saint Joseph’s are complemented by a culture where values and service are important. Many students roll up their sleeves and make a difference in someone’s life through community service, where students integrate academic knowledge with hands-on community work.
Students acquire valuable real-world experience through faculty-sponsored field research or workplace internships, helping students develop professional contacts. Our Career Services Center works closely with students to find internships and learn about time management, study skills, and test-taking strategies. Graduating seniors receive one-on-one résumé and interview counseling.
Imagine spectacular views of Mount Washington from a lakeside beach. We offer the best of both worlds on 474 acres of possibilities near the southern Maine coast, just two hours from Boston, nestled in a four-season recreation area surrounded by lakes and foothills of the White Mountains. Prime skiing, hiking, and kayaking spots are nearby, and the culture and entertainment of cosmopolitan Portland are just 18 miles away. The town of Windham, with a range of shops to meet everyday needs, is just three miles from campus.
As a member of the Great Northeast Athletic Conference, with 19 Division III varsity teams and a host of club and intramural sports, students have plenty of options when it comes to competing and having fun. The Harold Alfond Center features a fitness and weight room, a rock-climbing wall, a suspended track, a six-lane pool, a 1,300-seat gym, an outdoor patio, a dance studio, and a student lounge overlooking Sebago Lake and the mountains.
We offer a valuable, affordable education, and we want to take the concern about finances out of decision making. Each year more than 90% of our students receive assistance. We award a number of generous merit-based scholarships, up to $19,000 (renewable annually), along with need-based grants. We also offer a $2,000 Alumni Scholarship and a $1,000 Visit Scholarship, both with a deadline of February 15, 2016.
SAINT JOSEPH’S COLLEGE AT A GLANCE
• Maine’s only Catholic college, founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1912
• Situated on 474 acres on the shore of Sebago Lake, 18 miles from Portland and two hours north of Boston
• Enrollment of more than 1,000 students, 86% of whom reside on campus
• Strong liberal arts core with more than 40 majors and programs
• Small classes (average 17 students) with a student-faculty ratio of 14:1
• More than 30 clubs and organizations
• Division III intercollegiate athletics with 19 men’s and women’s varsity teams
• Values-centered environment with many options for community-based learning and volunteering
• 10 residence halls, with choice of traditional, townhouse, or suite style
• More than 90% of students receiving financial assistance
• Accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
Areas of Study
• Business & Sports Management
• Human Resource Management
• International Business
Communications, Fine Art, English, Writing
• Business Communication
• Fine Art
• New Media
• Sports Communication
• Writing & Publishing
• Biology/Secondary Education
• Elementary Education
• English/Secondary Education
• History/Secondary Education
• Mathematics/Secondary Education
• Special Education
Exercise Science, Physical Education, Sports Management
• Exercise Science Fitness Leader
• Exercise Science Specialist
• Physical Education Teacher
• Sports Management
• Sports Management—Coaching
• Self-Designed Major
Natural, Physical & Health Sciences
• Biology, Medical
• Environmental Science
• Environmental Studies
• Health & Wellness Promotion
• Marine Science
Partnership Degree Programs
• Pre-physician Assistant
• Criminal Justice
• Political Science
• Sociology—Social Work