Grounded in tradition, focused on your future: Adelphi has focused on student success for the last 120 years.
At Adelphi we are committed to giving you the tools you need to succeed in a changing world. Since 1896, when we became one of New York State’s first co-ed schools, we’ve been training male and female students to reach their highest academic potential. We’re steeped in tradition, but not the kind that clings too closely to a bygone era. Our tradition is one of innovation and excellence.
We pride ourselves on our dedicated faculty and vibrant atmosphere, but exciting classes are only the beginning. Our students say that going to Adelphi is a transformative experience—from our scenic campus to our supportive community of students and scholars and proud network of 90,000 Panther alumni.
Big enough to give you choices, small enough to feel like home
With a diverse group of nearly 5,000 undergraduates, 2,500 graduate students, and a 10:1 student-faculty ratio, we’re just the right size for you to benefit from the close attention of a prestigious faculty.
Our safe, beautiful campus is a registered arboretum that is home to more than 60 species of flowers, plants, and trees and to our Adelphi bunnies, which are famous for crossing your path on your way to class. You’ll also find state-of-the-art classrooms, labs, and performance studios and plenty of scenic spots to kick back with your friends, all on a campus with 24/7 security.
The best of both worlds
We have New York City’s culture, diversity, and amazing restaurants. We have all of Long Island, with its farmers’ markets, lush, green campgrounds, and amazing parks and beaches.
With the Long Island Rail Road just a short walk or shuttle ride away, you can be in Manhattan or Brooklyn within 40 minutes.
Spend some time exploring Long Island. You’ll find a lot to love, from downtown Garden City’s shops and restaurants to spacious state parks, bustling shopping malls, and more than 50 miles of broad, sandy Atlantic beaches.
Small classes, big opportunities
At Adelphi we’re all about you. With an average class size of 20 students, Adelphi offers you the personal attention and support you need to reach your highest academic potential. In fact, U.S. News & World Report named Adelphi a Top 15 Overperformer in ensuring student success.
World-class thought leaders, researchers, and innovators
Our faculty members are Guggenheim Fellows and Fulbright Scholars. They win grants from the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Institutes of Health. They’re published authors and Pulitzer Prize winners. They are sought-after speakers at conferences from Cairo, Egypt, to Darwin, Australia, to New York City.
Our classes are interactive, with spirited discussions and lots of give and take. Instead of taking notes in a crowded lecture hall, you’ll enjoy a collaborative environment where your voice matters.
Our students work side by side with their professors to find cures for diseases and co-author papers for publication. They collaborate on off-Broadway shows and join archaeological digs in Crete and Alaska. They visit Cuba as reporters and videographers and get a taste of the global marketplace in London and Paris.
International support at Adelphi
Adelphi has a strong commitment to international education. The Office of International Student Services assists in meeting legal requirements for entry into the United States and maintaining legal status while studying at the University. The office provides advice regarding requirements of US Citizenship and Immigration Services, the US Social Security Administration, and the Internal Revenue Service. Information and advice are also offered concerning differences in government laws and regulations, language, customs, culture, and educational systems.
Adelphi University International
For some international students, the move from high school or university in your home country to a degree program in the United States can be challenging—a new language, new ways of learning, and a new home. The Undergraduate and Graduate Accelerator Programs ease this transition by combining credit-bearing courses with additional academic support, language instruction, and cultural experiences. Together these facets of the program combine to create a learning-centered environment that promotes academic success, active involvement in campus life, and community engagement.
• State-of-the-art classrooms with SMART boards
• More than 30 computer labs
• Computer, software, printing, 3-D printing, and tech support in Swirbul Library
• Educational technology that makes course work convenient and efficient
• Clicker student response systems that make lectures interactive
• Web access in every residence hall
Read it and reap
The University Libraries provide access to:
• 618,779 volumes
• 791,000 microforms
• 35,000 audiovisual materials
• 135,000 e-book titles
• 87,000 electronic journal titles
• 251 research databases
• Meeting space for group projects or tutoring
Located in Garden City, New York, Adelphi University is a nationally ranked, doctoral research university offering exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training with particular strength in its Core Four—AU Arts and Humanities, AU STEM and Social Sciences, AU Professions, and AU Health and Wellness.
Type of school: Independent comprehensive university comprising eight schools and colleges: College of Arts and Sciences, College of Nursing and Public Health, Gordon F. Derner Institute of Advanced Psychological Studies, Honors College, Robert B. Willumstad School of Business, Ruth S. Ammon School of Education, School of Social Work, and University College
Size of Campus: 75 acres in the suburban community of Garden City, New York
Number of Students: 4,852 undergraduates; 2,404 graduate and doctoral students; average undergraduate class size of 20 students
Number of Faculty: Student-faculty ratio of 10:1
Colleges, Programs, and Degrees:
COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
• Anthropology (Environmental Anthropology)
• Art and Design Education
• Art History
• Communications (Digital Production and Cinema Studies, Journalism and Public Relations, Media Studies)
• Computer and Management Information Systems (Game Development, Information Security)
• Computer Science (Game Development, Information Security)
• Criminal Justice
• English (Creative Writing, Literature)
• Environmental Studies
• Graphic Design
• Interdisciplinary Studies
• International Studies (Business, Political Science)
• Latin American Studies
• Music Education
• Music (Composition, Vocal Performance)
• Political Science
• Studio Art
• Theatre Arts (Acting, Design/Technology)
COLLEGE OF NURSING AND PUBLIC HEALTH
• Nursing (Accelerated, Part-Time, RN to BS)
GORDON F. DERNER INSTITUTE OF ADVANCED PSYCHOLOGICAL STUDIES
• Neuroscience (Cognitive Neuroscience, Molecular Neuroscience)
ROBERT B. WILLUMSTAD SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
• Management (Specializations in Finance, Human Resource Management, Management Information Systems, Marketing)
RUTH S. AMMON SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
• Communication Disorders
• Exercise Science
• Physical Education
• Physical and Health Education
• Sport Management
(See Five-Year Bachelor’s and Master’s Programs below for Childhood, Adolescent, and TESOL Education programs.)
SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK
• Social Work (Child and Family Studies)
• Emergency Services Administration
• Fine Arts
• Liberal Studies
• Natural Sciences
• Social Science (Psychology and Human Service Professions, Social Cultural Studies)
FIVE-YEAR BACHELOR’S AND MASTER’S PROGRAMS
• General Psychology
• Nursing Administration
• Scholar Teacher Education Program (Adolescent Education, Childhood Education, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
DUAL- AND JOINT-DEGREE PROGRAMS
- New York University College of Dentistry
- Columbia University
• Environmental Studies
- Columbia University
- Albany Law School
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- SUNY College of Optometry
• Physical Therapy
- New York Institute of Technology
- New York Medical College
- New York College of Podiatric Medicine
• Veterinary Medicine
- Ross University
Geographic Diversity: Nearly 7,500 students from 39 states and 51 countries
International Student Services: International student services and admission requirements can be found at admissions.adelphi.edu/international.
International Student Budget: $57,000/year
Financial Aid: Merit scholarships are available based on GPA and SAT/ACT scores.
Test Score Requirements:
• A completed international application form with appropriate fee
• Official transcripts from all high schools/secondary, postsecondary schools, and universities attended (with English translation)
• Official TOEFL iBT score of at least 80 or an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher
• Written statement of purpose/personal essay (in English)
• Résumé suggested
Application Deadlines and Fees:
Fall semester—March 1
Spring semester—November 1