A smaller college has its advantages: close working relationships with your professors, classmates who become more than faces in the crowd, and opportunities to make a difference on campus. All within a safe, warm community, where just about everyone says hello to one another. That’s Georgia Southern.
A big university offers a lot: thousands of course options and more than 120 majors, a constant buzz of activity, big-time sporting events and spirited intramurals, and lively study sessions and intense research opportunities. All within a campus of stately buildings, filled with history and tradition. That’s Georgia Southern too.
Close personal connections
You may have heard that once you get to college, you have to go it alone. That couldn’t be further from the truth at Georgia Southern. Across all disciplines—science, humanities, art, education, and technology—courses are taught by professors who know you by name and invest in your education with you. You benefit from a close personal connection with faculty again and again. By getting to know you well, your professors notice your strengths and understand your challenges. They look forward to conversations with you after class and to giving you one-on-one feedback on your most recent work during lunch. At Georgia Southern a dynamic professor who loves to teach can inspire students to change their majors, which in turn can change their lives.
With more than 120 degree programs, Georgia Southern gives you the opportunity to shape your academic experience according to your own interests and aspirations. However, university life should do more than offer degree choices—it should engage the imagination and encourage intellectual curiosity. Georgia Southern is a place where you examine ideas and discover new ways of thinking through hands-on experience. Try directing a theater production or becoming a peer health educator to promote wellness issues on campus. Or you can design, manufacture, and race a car with Eagle Motorsports. At Georgia Southern options for learning through doing are unlimited.
Wide open and close knit
At Georgia Southern you’ll live different sides of the same experience. On the one hand, you experience true small-town culture with friendly people and scenic places. Yet the students and professors who make up this growing Main Street community come from all over the world, enriching Georgia Southern with diverse experiences and perspectives.
“I fell in love.” That’s often what students say when they arrive on our 1,000-acre, park-like campus. Take a walk from Sweetheart Circle, the tree-filled heart of our century-old campus, and wind through the Botanic Garden’s woodland trails. Or explore the universe at the Planetarium. Even the Recreation Activity Center features indoor trees and panoramas of the wide-open sky, side-by-side with our climbing walls, racquetball courts, swimming pools, and elliptical machines.
Learn to lead
Back at the residence hall, start packing for an alternative spring break trip to the Bahamas or Central America, where you get to explore a new culture and broaden your horizons through servant leadership. Or warm up for showtime with one of the University’s many performing groups, from inspirational singing to show choir to hip-hop dance. Learn from a nationally known leader during the leadership lecture series. Every student has leadership potential—the ability to harness his or her unique abilities in order to change the world for the better. The Office of Leadership and Community Engagement’s diverse programs can help you learn to lead through service to others—a powerful benefit.
Making the transition
When you make the transition from the University to a career or postgraduate studies, you won’t have to get reacquainted with “real life.” Because you’re a Georgia Southern alumnus, you earned a real-world education. You immersed yourself not just in theory but in hands-on practice. You participated in a study abroad program your very first year. You took part in undergraduate research that helps educate the next generation of students. You may have only spent four years at Georgia Southern, but the connections you made and the growth you achieved stay with you for a lifetime.
Georgia Southern at a Glance
• 17,963 undergraduate students
• 2,496 graduate students
• 1112 average SAT, 24 average ACT, 3.29 average GPA for incoming freshmen
• Located in southeast Georgia in Statesboro, 45 minutes from Savannah
• 22:1 student-faculty ratio with average class size of 23
• Over 36% minority student enrollment
• Traditional residential campus with nearly 1,000 acres
• 49 states and 86 nations represented in the student body
• More than 290 student-run organizations
• 90% of students and parents report they would #ChooseSouthern all over again!
Students are proud to support the Eagle Nation by cheering on our NCAA Sunbelt Conference sport teams: men’s football, baseball, basketball, golf, soccer, and tennis, as well as women’s basketball, cross-country, golf, rifle, soccer, softball, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field, and volleyball. The Eagle Football team won its first bowl game in school history in the first year it was eligible to go to the postseason.
Points of Pride
• Georgia Southern University has been named a military-friendly school for the third year in a row by Military Advanced Education in its 2014 Guide to Military-Friendly Colleges and Universities and by G.I.Jobs in its 2015 Military Friendly Schools.
• For the fourth consecutive year, Georgia Southern was named one of the nation’s most environmentally responsible “green colleges” in The Princeton Review’s Guide to 353 Green Colleges.
• During the 2014–2015 school year, students logged more than 28,000 hours of service.
• The Georgia Southern University College of Business Administration was featured in Newsweek’s “Great Business Schools 2015” as one of the eight featured outstanding business programs from across the country and has been recognized as one of the top universities for professional sales education in the country by the Sales Education Foundation.
• The University’s Fashion Merchandising and Apparel Design program was named one of the top fashion design schools and one of the top fashion merchandising schools in the United States by fashion-schools.org. The University was also ranked ninth on the list of Top 15 Fashion Schools in the South.
Spotlight on Engineering
The Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Information Technology offers undergraduate programs for students who want to become innovators, focusing on real-world application and hands-on learning. With our degrees, instructed by industry leaders, you will build the foundational framework for engineering. Access world-class learning and opportunities with a rigorous mix of lectures, labs, and team projects. Choose Southern and discover your potential in engineering. Majors include Civil, Electrical, Manufacturing, and Mechanical Engineering; Construction Management; Computer Science; and Information Technology. Learn more at georgiasouthern.edu/engineering.