Ursuline College is located in suburban Pepper Pike, Ohio—about 15 minutes outside of Cleveland—on 100+ picturesque acres. Ursuline is the most affordable private college in the state of Ohio and has been named one of Washington Monthly’s top 100 “Bang for the Buck” colleges.
At Ursuline you’ll be surrounded by aspiring leaders and advocates for social justice, just like you. In classes of 14 or fewer, you’ll click instantly with award-winning,brilliant faculty mentors and a diverse group of passionate classmates.
The new, state-of-the-art Parker Hannifin Center for Creative and Healing Arts & Sciences is home to Ursuline’s storied Breen School of Nursing, the longest-running school of nursing in the region with a reputation as the leader in Northeast Ohio for nursing education. B.S.N. graduates of Breen enjoy a 100% job placement rate upon graduation and are most commonly hired into Cleveland’s leading hospital systems.
Health care in Cleveland
Cleveland is one of the top three health care markets in the United States, home to world-class hospital systems, including the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals Health System, and MetroHealth Medical Center. Practitioners from these systems helped develop Ursuline’s nursing curriculum, making it relevant and cutting edge. Extensive on-site clinical training in these and other hospitals includes a unique immersion practicum experience alongside a clinical practitioner in your area of interest.
Nursing at Ursuline
Nationally recognized faculty and practitioners choose to teach in the Breen School of Nursing for the exceptional educational environment on campus. The program is known nationally for research in geriatrics and its holistic approach to patient care and clinical skills. Ursuline is one of the only nursing programs in the United States to graduate students with an endorsement from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, documenting that students have developed the necessary skills to work successfully and collaboratively in health care teams. This certification, known as TeamSTEPPS, is generally administered to new nurses in the hospitals, putting Ursuline graduates a step ahead of their competition. The Breen School of Nursing offers the following degree programs: Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Master of Science in Nursing, and Doctor of Nursing Practice.
The B.S.N. and the innovative 3-year B.S.N.
• Applicants apply directly to the B.S.N. program as high school seniors and can select from the traditional B.S.N. or the accelerated, cohort-style, 3-year B.S.N. Both programs offer direct admission, guaranteeing admission to the Breen School of Nursing upon admission to Ursuline College. There are no waitlists.
• The 3-year B.S.N. program is year-round with two summer terms (your third and sixth semesters). Students in this program complete the same number of credits as traditional four-year students who take the summers off. Three-year students keep their scholarships through the summer terms.
• B.S.N. graduates have an annual starting salary of $57,000/year and a 100% job placement rate. Students in the 3-year program get their return on investment earlier, jump-starting their earnings and career.
• All B.S.N. students practice with high-fidelity patient simulators in our Nursing Learning Resource Center before interfacing with real patients.
• The Breen Scholars Program is an excellent résumé builder and gives you enhanced access for independent research.
• You’ll be paired with a nursing advisor who will guide you every step of the way, from clinical placements to NCLEX preparation. By the way, Ursuline’s NCLEX pass rates are consistently well above state and national averages each year.
Other health care programs
Ursuline’s biology, chemistry, and biochemistry programs have developed outstanding partnerships with other colleges, universities, and health care institutions, offering research internships, dual-degree programs, and articulation agreements for preferred entry to medical and pharmacy graduate programs. Ursuline also offers state and nationally recognized programs in art therapy, psychology, and social work. Field work in clinical settings is available, and many graduates select employment in hospitals, psychiatric and rehabilitation facilities, wellness centers, forensic institutions, and other health care settings.
Affiliation: Ursuline, Catholic
Student-Faculty Ratio: 9:1
Students: 1,300 students
Campus: 100+ acres in suburban Pepper Pike, Ohio; rated third-safest campus in the United States (safewise.com) and 15 minutes from downtown Cleveland’s thriving health care systems, arts, culture, and dining scenes
Varsity Athletics (NCAA D-II): Women’s basketball, bowling, cross-country/track, golf, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, and volleyball
Financial aid: Nearly 100% of students receive scholarships, grants, loans, and/or work-study. More than $24 million is awarded in aid to Ursuline students each year.
Known for: Developing women as leaders; 90% of Ursuline students are women in this empowering “women-focused” environment. Classes are taught in the ways women learn best, and women find their voice in this supportive environment.
Core values: Student focus, respect, spirituality, and collaboration are the tenets of an Ursuline education.
Campus life: Three residence halls, an active athletics program, intramurals, 20+ student clubs and organizations, First Year to Career internship program, service trips abroad, traditions such as Founders Day and Volunteer Day, and more
Health care majors and programs:
• Art Therapy
• Life Science
• Medical Technology
• Nursing (B.S.N. and accelerated 3-year B.S.N.)
• Pre-physical Therapy
• Social Work