Preparing the professionals of tomorrow.
You could go anywhere for a college degree. At Birmingham-Southern College, we’re committed to offering you the hands-on experiences you’ll need to succeed—no matter what field you choose. Our unique January term gives you four weeks of flexibility to pursue your dreams, and our top-notch academic programs will give you the skills to thrive. At BSC you’ll . . .
Explore the world and discover your passions
Take a class that inspires you or visit a country you’ve only seen on a map. Make friends that give you new perspectives on life, expand your horizons in a campus club, or test your limits on the field. You’ll find your own path, all while building the skills today’s employers want.
Experience learning hands-on
Tackle challenges you never imagined, then take what you learn beyond the classroom. Whatever you choose—an internship, research with a professor, a one-on-one mentorship, a service project, or your own invention—you’ll get the tools you need to achieve your professional goals.
Excel before graduation and beyond
Our students are among the very best, and our alumni exceed all expectations. Whether they’re a U.S. senator, museum director, prize-winning author, NASA scientist, attorney, entrepreneur, physician, or more, they credit BSC for their success. Not only that, but they’re dedicated to helping you meet your goals.
With more than 50 areas of study, including interdisciplinary majors and special programs in honors, leadership, study abroad, service learning, and more, we have countless routes to your future. Come see why the book Colleges That Change Lives lists BSC among just 40 schools honored, calling it “what college ought to be.”
Areas of Study
• Art History
• Asian Studies
• Business Administration
• Engineering (dual-degree program)
• Environmental Studies (dual-degree program)
• Gender and Women’s Studies
• Global and Comparative Studies
• Honors Program
• Human Rights and Conflict Studies
• Latin American Studies
• Leadership Studies
• Media and Film Studies
• Musical Theatre
• Nursing (dual-degree program)
• Political Science
• Spanish for the Workplace
• Theatre Arts
• Urban Environmental Studies
At Birmingham-Southern, you get the best of both worlds—a small college experience with all the advantages of the big city. Birmingham, Alabama, is called the “Magic City” for good reason. The metropolitan area has a population of nearly one million and is rich with recreational, athletic, cultural, and entertainment options, plus plenty of opportunities for internships for BSC students. Birmingham is home to a nationally ranked medical center, a symphony orchestra, a Triple-A baseball team, and the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, among many others. And we’re a short drive from the verdant Appalachian Mountains and the beautiful Gulf Coast beaches.
AT A GLANCE
• Type of college: Private liberal arts college
• Size of campus: 192 acres
• Number of students: Approximately 1,200
• Number of faculty: 103 full time
• Colleges, programs, and degrees: BSC offers a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Fine Arts, and Bachelor of Musical Arts. There are more than 50 majors, minors, and other areas of study, including interdisciplinary programs such as Asian Studies, Media and Film Studies, and Urban Environmental Studies, and pre-professional programs such as pre-law and pre-health. There are also special programs in honors, leadership, service learning, entrepreneurship, and research and teaching fellowships.
• Geographic diversity: Our students come from more than 38 states and 21 countries.
• Student budget: $48,510 (total cost of attendance, including tuition, fees, room, board, books, and other expenses)
• Financial aid: More than $30 million in federal, state, and institutional programs, including scholarships, loans, grants, and work-study
• Test score requirements: BSC uses a holistic approach and does not have minimum test score requirements.
• Application deadlines and fees: Early Action deadline is November 15 with a December 15 notification date. Regular Decision deadline is February 1 with a March 1 notification.