Knowledge for Service
While HLGU is affiliated with the Missouri Baptist Convention (Southern Baptist), every major denomination is represented on campus. Students who choose Hannibal-LaGrange recognize the added value of a Christian university. They seek a sense of community among fellow students who share similar ideals.
More than a motto
Knowledge for Service is more than our motto—it drives everything we do.
We believe in the importance of a well-rounded education, with training that equips you mentally, physically, spiritually, and socially. Knowledge is just half of the equation—service is what brings meaning and purpose to your life.
The professors at Hannibal-LaGrange University know you want to have a sense of purpose in life. At HLGU we want to help you determine, develop, and live out your purpose. That’s why the personal attention our professors give you is so important. Along with that personal attention are opportunities for service that equip you to make a difference.
Founded in 1858, Hannibal-LaGrange is a Christian university fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Currently we have students from 26 states and 27 countries. The campus of HLGU provides spacious facilities for its diverse student body, including a new, state-of-the-art science center, dedicated in 2015.
Just the right size
The student-faculty ratio is 14:1.
Honors and awards
Hannibal-LaGrange University has been ranked as one of “America’s Best Christian Colleges” for 14 consecutive years and consistently receives the honor of being recognized as a “Champions of Character Five-Star Institution.”
An affordable investment
HLGU is one of the most reasonably priced private universities in the Midwest. In addition, 93% of our students receive financial aid in the form of scholarships, loans, grants, and work-study.
Hannibal-LaGrange is located in “America’s Hometown,” Hannibal, Missouri. The community combines the charm and security of a Midwest setting with international appeal as people from all over the world visit Hannibal to relive Mark Twain’s childhood adventures. The campus is located just minutes from downtown Hannibal and within walking distance to shopping, restaurants, and fast food establishments. HLGU’s historic campus is just 100 miles north of St. Louis and is situated on 110 acres of scenic hills and woods on the bluffs above the Mississippi River.
For gifted and highly motivated students, HLGU offers an honors program that focuses on a rigorous course of study in literature, history, science, and Christianity. Honors classes encourage personal creativity and insight as students and professors interact in an atmosphere that promotes original thinking.
See for yourself
Tour the campus, meet the professors, and spend some time with HLGU students. Come get to know Hannibal-LaGrange—a university that equips students with Knowledge for Service.
Division of Business and Computer Information Systems
• Business Administration (Emphases in Finance, General Business, Management, and Marketing)
• Computer Information Systems
Division of Christian Studies
• Christian Studies (Concentrations in Bible and Christian Ministry)
Division of Exercise and Sport Science
• Exercise Science
• Sport and Recreation Management
Division of Teacher Education
• Bachelor of Science in Education (BSE)
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Education
- Secondary Education (Certifications in Art, Biology, English, Mathematics, Physical Education, Social Studies, Vocal, or Instrumental Music with K-12 Certification, Speech and Theatre—Grades 9-12, and Unified Science with Biology Add-On—Grades 9-12)
Division of Fine Arts
• Christian Theatre
• Music (Concentrations in Vocal, Instrumental, and Worship)
Division of Humanities
• Media Communication
• Public Relations
Division of Natural Science and Mathematics
• Life Sciences
Division of Social Science
• Criminal Justice
• Social Work
• RN to BSN (Online Program)
• LPN (Certificate)
• Master of Education in Administration (MEA)
• Master of Science in Education (MSE) with tracks in:
- Special Reading K-12
- Teaching and Learning
- Teaching and Learning with Initial Certification
• Master of Arts in Leadership
- Business Management
- Christian Ministries
GET INVOLVED AT HLGU
• Praise Song: Voice and instrumental ensemble performing a mix of traditional hymns, praise songs, and contemporary Christian music
• Chamber Choir: A team of men and women who present sacred a cappella music and songs with acoustic instruments as a worship ministry
• The New Edition: Traveling repertory theatre troupe specializing in Christian theatre
• GateKeepers: Mentoring program where HLGU students serve as positive role models for children in Hannibal and surrounding communities
• Local Service Projects (Jerusalem Projects): Mentoring program where HLGU students serve as positive role models for children in Hannibal and surrounding communities
• Mission Trips: State, regional, national, and international mission trips during fall, Christmas, spring, and summer breaks
NAIA Division I Athletic Programs
• Men’s: Baseball, basketball, cheerleading, cross-country, golf, shotgun sports, soccer, track & field, and wrestling
• Women’s: Basketball, cheerleading, cross-country, golf, soccer, shotgun sports, softball, track & field, and volleyball
PLUS, MORE THAN 35 CAMPUS ORGANIZATIONS!