Learn in the city. Lead in the world.
Student-Faculty Ratio: 16:1
Total Enrollment: 9,891; 57% female, 43% male
Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges
Top 10 Majors
1.Computer Science, MS
2.Educational Leadership, MA (School Leadership Concentration)
3.Literacy Education, MA
4.Special Education—LBS I, MA
6.Business Administration, MBA
7.Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, MA
8.Counseling, MA (Clinical Mental Health Counseling Concentration)
9.Counseling, MA (School Counseling Concentration)
10.Inner City Studies, MA
In-State Tuition and Fees:
$425 per credit hour*
Out-of-State Tuition and Fees:
$781 per credit hour*
* Graduate programs range 30-60 total credit hours
Campus Housing Costs: Starting at $4,050 per semester
Summer I—April 1
International student deadlines are one month prior for all semesters.
Graduate Degree Programs
Degree Programs in Arts and Sciences
• Biology, MS
• Chemistry, MS
• Communication, Media, and Theatre, MA
• Computer Science, MS
• Computer Science, MS, Management Information Systems Concentration
• English, MA, Composition Concentration
• English, MA, Literature Concentration
• Geography and Environmental Studies, MA
• Gerontology, MA
• History, MA
• Latin American Literatures and Cultures, MA
• Linguistics, MA
• Mathematics, MS, Applied Mathematics Concentration
• Mathematics, MS, Secondary Education Mathematics Concentration
• Music, MA, Applied Music Pedagogy Concentration
• Pedagogical Content Knowledge for Teaching Elementary and Middle School Mathematics, MA
• Political Science, MA
• Social Work, MSW
• Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), MA
Degree Programs with Teacher Licensure/Endorsement
• Biology, MS, with Teaching Licensure
• English, MA, with Teaching Licensure
• History, MA, with Teaching Licensure
• Latin American Literatures and Cultures, MA, with Teaching Licensure
• Mathematics, MS, with Teaching Licensure
• Music, MA, with Teaching Licensure
Degree Programs in Business and Management
• Accounting, MS
• Business Administration, MBA
Degree Programs in Education
• Community and Teacher Leaders, MA
• Counseling, MA, Clinical Mental Health Counseling Concentration
• Counseling, MA, Rehabilitation Counseling Concentration
• Counseling, MA, School Counseling Concentration
• Family Counseling, MA
• Early Childhood Education, MAT
• Education Leadership, MA, School Leadership Concentration
• Education Leadership, MA, Higher Education Leadership Concentration
• Exercise Science, MS
• Gifted Education, MA
• Human Resource Development, MA
• Inner City Studies, MA
• Instruction in Language Arts, MS, Secondary Education Concentration
• Language Arts, MAT, Elementary Education Concentration
• Literacy Education, MA
• Special Education, MA, LBS I
• Special Education, MS, LBS II, Behavior Intervention Specialist (BIS) Concentration
• Special Education, MS, LBS II, Curriculum Adaptation Specialist (CAS) Concentration
• Special Education, MS, LBS II, Combined CAS-BIS Concentration
• Teaching and Inquiry, MS
Certificate, Endorsement, and Licensure Programs
Certificate and Endorsement Programs in Arts and Sciences
• Geographic Information Systems Certificate
• Gerontology Certificate
• Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certificate
• Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) Endorsement
Licensure and Endorsement Programs in Education
• Bilingual Endorsement
• Early Childhood Education FOCUS Program
• Elementary Education FOCUS Program
• Reading Teacher Endorsement, Elementary Level
• Reading Teacher Endorsement, Secondary Level
• Secondary Education FOCUS Program
• Special Education, LBS I, FOCUS Program
• Special Education, LBS II, Behavior Intervention Specialist (BIS) Endorsement
• Special Education, LBS II, Curriculum Adaptation Specialist (CAS) Endorsement
• Special Education, LBS II, Combined CAS-BIS Endorsement
• Teacher Leader Endorsement
• Teacher Licensure Program, Elementary Education
• Teacher Licensure Program, Secondary Education, 6-12 (Biology, English, Health Education, History, Mathematics)
• Teacher Licensure Program, Secondary Education, K-12 (Art, Music, Physical Education, Spanish)
Graduate education is an investment of time and money that we take seriously.
In its “America’s Best Colleges” publication, Newsweek ranked Northeastern Illinois University as a top 10 “Best Investment” based on the affordability of our high-quality education and the salaries of our graduates.
We prepare students to become leaders in their fields, equipped with the skills and knowledge to respond to the changing needs of employers. We offer master’s degree programs in business, education, liberal and fine arts, and physical and social sciences, as well as post-baccalaureate certificates, endorsements, and licensures in a variety of disciplines.
Our small class sizes ensure personalized attention from faculty and the opportunity for in-depth, critical analysis of relevant topics and issues. In-class learning is applied outside the classroom through field work and research.
Named one of the most diverse universities in the Midwest by U.S. News & World Report, we are proud of the richness of our multicultural university community. We foster close cultural ties that represent more than 150 first languages spoken at Northeastern—a reflection of the urban environment of Chicago.
The global perspectives that permeate teaching and learning at Northeastern are reflected in our federal designation as a Hispanic-Serving Institution, our student exchange partnerships with 40 universities around the world, and the number of faculty awarded Fulbright Scholarships to teach and conduct research around the world.
Graduate classes are offered at times, venues, and in formats to accommodate the schedules of working professionals. Our classes are offered during the late afternoon, evenings, and weekends at various locations and in face-to-face, hybrid, and online formats.
We offer extremely competitive tuition rates, making your graduate education a worthwhile investment. Among Midwest regional universities, Northeastern students graduate with the least amount of student loan debt.
We extend in-state tuition rates to students from the neighboring states of Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Missouri, and Wisconsin as well as students on active military duty, veterans, and their spouses and dependents.
Northeastern Illinois University connects our students with opportunities for hands-on learning with the world-class institutions that share our Chicago location. In addition to our Main Campus in the North Park neighborhood, we also have locations in the Avondale and Bronzeville neighborhoods and in Grayslake, Illinois.
In fall 2016 we opened the doors to our brand-new residence hall on our Main Campus, which offers convenient and affordable housing options to our graduate students and easy parking and access to Chicago’s public transportation. Learn more at neiu.edu/housing.
Your next step
The best way to experience Northeastern is to visit. Explore our graduate programs by visiting neiu.edu/graduatestudies. Contact us with any questions and to arrange your visit.
Are you interested?Yes, connect me!
|Curriculum & Instruction|
|Early Childhood Education|
|Education of the Gifted|
|Geographic Information Systems|
|Latin American Studies|
|Reading & Literacy|
|Social Work - MSW|
|Teaching Foreign Language|
|Teaching Other Subjects|
Register now for our scholarship giveaway
*may vary by program