The School of Graduate Studies at Southern Connecticut State University is one of the largest graduate schools in New England. Our mission is to promote excellence in all aspects of graduate education.
Size of Campus: 168 acres
Number of Students: 10,680 undergraduate and graduate students; more than 2,600 students living on campus
Number of Faculty: 439 full-time faculty, 84% of whom hold the doctorate or appropriate terminal degree in their field, and 593 part-time faculty members, many of whom are practitioners in their fields
Colleges, Programs, and Degrees: The School of Graduate Studies works with Southern’s Schools of Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, and Health and Human Services to offer more than 55 graduate degree programs ranging from business to secondary education, biology to studio art, and communication disorders to history. Master’s degrees are awarded, as well as graduate certificates, sixth-year professional diplomas, and doctoral degrees in educational leadership and nursing education.
Geographic Diversity: 37 states represented: top five are Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts; 26 foreign countries represented, including Germany, China, South Korea, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Canada, Nigeria, and the United Kingdom
Graduate Student Budget:
• In-state tuition and fees per year: $10,704*
• In-state M.B.A. tuition per year: $11,816*
• Out-of-state tuition and fees per year: $22,916*
• Out-of-state M.B.A. tuition per year: $24,214*
• In/out-of-state accelerated M.B.A. program: $7,950 per semester*
• In-state Ed.D. Educational Leadership: $535 per credit plus fees*
• Out-of-state Ed.D. Educational Leadership: $545 per credit plus fees*
• In/out-of-state part-time Ed.D. Nursing Education: $716 per credit plus fees*
* Estimated expenses for the academic year, September through May 2015–2016; additional costs may be incurred, including housing, books, supplies, medical insurance, and personal expenses for students living year-round in the New Haven area.
• Degree from an institution accredited by a recognized regional accrediting agency in the United States; if you are pursuing a master’s degree, a bachelor’s degree is required. For a sixth-year certificate, a master’s degree is required.
• Appropriate academic background in or for the program in which graduate study will be done
• Recommendation of the graduate program coordinator; specific graduate programs may have higher admission standards and/or require scores on standardized examinations such as the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) or GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) as well as letters of recommendation. Read the program section of the graduate catalogue to determine additional graduate program admission requirements.
Application Deadlines and Fees: Application fee is $50. Although the School of Graduate Studies has a rolling admission process, a number of departments have established application deadlines. Applicants are urged to submit the completed application and credentials well in advance of the semester for which they seek admission.
• Accounting Graduate certificate
• Art Education CT teacher certification
• Bilingual Education/TESOL M.S.
• Biology M.S., CT teacher certification
• Business Administration M.B.A., Accelerated M.B.A.
• Chemistry M.S., CT teacher certification
• Communication Disorders M.S., CT teacher certification
• Computer Science M.S.
• Counseling M.S., S.Y.C., CT teacher certification
• Creative Writing M.F.A.
• Educational Coach S.Y.C.
• Educational Leadership S.Y.C., Ed.D., CT teacher certification
• Elementary Education M.S., CT teacher certification
• Elementary Education Classroom Specialist S.Y.C.
• English M.S., M.A., CT teacher certification
• Environmental Education M.S.
• Exercise Science M.S., CT teacher certification
• History M.S., M.A., CT teacher certification
• Information & Library Science CT teacher certification
• Marriage & Family Therapy M.F.T.
• Mathematics M.S., CT teacher certification
• Nursing M.S.N., Ed.D.
• Physics, Applied M.S.
• Political Science M.S.
• Psychology M.A.
• Public Health M.P.H.
• Reading M.S., S.Y.C., CT teacher certification
• Recreation & Leisure M.S.
• Romance Languages M.A., CT teacher certification
• School Counseling M.S., CT teacher certification
• School Psychology M.S., S.Y.C., CT teacher certification
• Science Education M.S., CT teacher certification
• Science Education (ISIS) S.Y.C.
• Social Work M.S.W.
• Sociology M.S.
• Special Education M.S., S.Y.C., CT teacher certification
• Sport & Entertainment Management M.S. (fully online)
• Women’s Studies M.A., certificate
Southern offers graduate programs in over 55 areas of study in the fields of education, library science and information technology, business, health and human services, and arts and sciences. We have approximately 3,000 students pursuing graduate studies, including more than 800 full-time graduate students.
A student-centered university
Southern understands the tremendous power of education and its ability to transform lives. Located in New Haven, Connecticut, the campus is a vibrant, culturally rich, and ethnically diverse environment. This public university offers unique research opportunities, access to fascinating internships, a vibrant campus, and a commitment to preparing strong leaders.
Many of our graduate programs are designed specifically for working professionals who are seeking to enhance their skills and grow while continuing to advance their careers. Our flexible full- and part-time programs, such as our Accelerated M.B.A. program with Saturday and online courses and our fully online M.S. in Sport and Entertainment Management, allow students to complete their graduate studies without putting their careers on hold.
Southern continues its development as a thoroughly modern campus, with a new School of Business and an expanded library renovation. Southern’s ongoing expansion of its science programs has been greatly enhanced with the construction of a 103,608-sq. ft., four-level academic and laboratory science building. Situated adjacent to Jennings Hall, the current home for the sciences, the new building will enhance the ongoing expansion of Southern’s science programs and the University’s capacity to educate more students in the STEM disciplines—science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Our nationally renowned faculty challenge you to meet high standards of academic rigor and integrity. Southern’s graduate faculty represent a wide range of backgrounds, interests, and scholarly achievements. Many have achieved national and international recognition for their scholarship and contributions to their professional disciplines. Faculty lend special expertise to the social, economic, governmental, business, and educational issues that impact businesses here in Connecticut and the region. Southern students are inspired by the research, scholarship, and creative activity of our professors.
The Department of Residence Life offers several housing options for graduate students at Southern Connecticut State University. The Townhouses, as part of the North Campus Residence complex, offer comfort and convenience for graduate students. Located on Pine Rock Avenue, the townhouses are fully carpeted, air-conditioned two-bedroom apartments, located close to the main academic buildings of the campus. Additionally, these apartments offer two phone lines, cable, a full kitchen with microwave oven, and two full bathrooms.
Graduate students also have the option of living in the North Campus Mid-Rise, which offers the same level of comfort as the Townhouses within the University’s six-story apartment complex. All students in the Townhouses or the North Campus Mid-Rise receive a $250 declining balance card, which is good at all food service outlets on campus.
Make New Haven your own
New Haven is a coastal, multicultural city of more than 130,000 people, just 90 minutes from New York City and less than three hours from Boston, with quick and convenient public transportation available for travel to both metropolitan centers. The city of New Haven is a vibrant center for arts, culture, history, and entertainment. The city is home to five colleges and universities, so wherever you go, you’ll find yourself immersed in a dynamic college experience.
Are you interested?Yes, connect me!
|Applied Behavior Analysis|
|BSN to MSN Programs|
|Early Childhood Education|
|Modern & Romance Languages|
|Psychology - General|
|Reading & Literacy|
|Social Work - MSW|
|Teaching Foreign Language|
|Teaching Other Subjects|
|Weekend MBA Programs|
Register now for our scholarship giveaway
*may vary by program