- Learn what factors are important to your son’s or daughter’s college search.
- Read anything you can get about those colleges and universities that are high on the list.
- Make use of every technology available to facilitate the college search: phone, fax, e-mail, the Web.
- It’s never too early—or too late—to begin financial planning to meet college costs.
- Use your child’s college counselor wisely. Counselors can provide a wealth of good advice and information.
- Use the resources and assistance of the United States government provided by overseas Educational Advising Centers.
- Know who to contact: get the phone numbers and e-mail addresses of international admission staff members where your son or daughter has applied.
- Make use of alumni who support the admission process of their alma maters. They can provide valuable first-hand information.
- If possible, arrange for your son or daughter to make a campus visit.
- Remember, this is the admission process of your son or daughter—support, but don’t lead.
Checklist for Parents of International Students
Note: Did you know you could win a $10,000 scholarship for college or grad school just by registering on CollegeXpress? This is one of the quickest, easiest scholarships you’ll ever apply for. Register Now »