First day of junior year. You walk into your high school. The sounds in the hallways hit your ears, familiar but still just a little too loud. You have a minor heart attack when you forget where you’re supposed to be, but you remember you’re starting your day with Algebra II. (Ugh.) You make your way through the halls. And before you know it, summer vacation is just a distant, sunscreen-scented memory…and your college search is closer than ever before.
Even if you’re not quite ready to start your college search (but, really, what have you got to lose?), it’s good to get prepared for the year to come. Because things aren’t going to slow down between now and April, you know?
Read these short blog posts to get a sense of the junior year college search timeline, getting your college search started, tips for dealing with stress, and more.
Surviving junior year
- Getting Ready for Junior Year: Where to Begin?: Junior year is a lot like a treasure hunt: it will be a lot easier if you have some sort of map or guide to help you along the way. Lucky for you, we have one right here!
- How to Survive Junior Year: Junior year is often called the hardest year of high school. So you know what to expect and to make things a little easier, here are some tips on how to balance everything out.
- 12 Ways to Reduce Junior and Senior Year Stress: Six things you can do right now to ease your stress, plus six habits you can (and should) develop to keep your stress levels in check for a long time to come
- High School Juniors, Remember This: Listen up, juniors. This one's all about you—and the hard but rewarding work in your future.
Test prep tips
- Standardized Test Timeline for High School Students: What to Take and When?: From the SAT and SAT Subject Tests to the ACT and AP tests, you can encounter a lot of exams throughout high school.
- All of the Tests! How to Prepare for the ACT, SAT, and More: This standardized test guide covers prepping for the ACT, SAT, SAT Subject Tests, AP tests, and more.
- College Admission Tests: Everything You Need to Know: Get ready to have your mind blown by acronyms. This is everything you need to know about standardized tests related to college admission.
- My Standardized Test Prep: Top Tips From Real Students: High school students share their real-life experiences taking standardized tests, the tools they used, and their top tips for success.
- Find tons more test-taking and study tips in our Test Prep section!
College search advice
- The Ultimate Guide to the College Search: How to Find Your Perfect College Match: This is it. This is how you find the perfect college—or colleges—for you.
- How I Started My College Search: Here's how one junior narrowed down her list of possible colleges to the contenders.
- How to Prepare for Your College Search as a Junior: Junior year is tough, but preparing for your college search a year in advance will make it easier in the long run.
- Tips for High School Juniors Starting the College Search: For high school juniors, starting the college search is a big deal. Here are five tips for diving into the process...without going crazy.
- Hey, High School Juniors! Here's Your College Search Checklist: A fool-proof junior year getting-ready-for-college checklist!
- Athletic Recruitment: Junior Year: A step-by-step guide to college athletic recruitment your junior year of high school.
- College Prep for Each Year of High School: What to Do All 4 Years: Freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior year: no matter where you are in high school, there are certain things you can and should be doing to make your college search easier.
- College Prep Steps Every High School Student Should Know About: The best way to maintain your course toward college and not end up freaking out right before applications are due is to create a schedule and break it down over your four high school years.