Last Updated: Aug 19, 2015
Okay, so there are a few more than 20 . . . but my baby sister is going on her first college visit in about a week from the time I am writing this, and I am in full “mother hen” mode! That’s why I whipped out the 20(ish) most important questions she will need to ask during her visit. They are somewhat tailored to her unique experience, but these questions are still important to basically any campus visit.
- Why did you choose this school? What would you change about it?
- What is the distribution of scholarships like (based on academics, merit, department/major, portfolio assessment, etc.)?
- What are the study abroad opportunities like? How flexible are they, is financial aid included, and who handles planning the trips?
- Does this school have any formal mentoring programs? What do they entail, and who acts as the mentors?
- Where have students interned in the past? Does your school have connections to certain businesses in the area that offer internships? Can you get class credit for completing an internship? What are the steps to doing so?
- What is the alumni network like? Do alumnus have a strong relationship with the school?
- Can you create your own major? How would you go about doing that?
- How many students are residential and how many are commuters?
- What's the food like?
- What’s Greek life like on campus, and how do students feel about recruitment and rush?
- What services does the wellness center offer?
- What kinds of campus career, vendor, extracurricular, and networking fairs are held each year?
- What security measures are found on campus? What’s the emergency alert system like? Is there a late night transport service by campus security? Does the school have safety newsletters or information sessions?
- What do students do for fun, on campus and off?
- How do students get around, whether it’s across campus or town? Is transportation provided to local stores or internship locations? Are student transportation discounts available?
- What student discounts do local businesses offer?
- What are campus sports like? How involved are the students as players and fans? What intramural and club sport options are there?
- What on-campus employment opportunities are available? Is federal work-study offered or required? Where would you find on campus job listings?
- How much off-campus housing is available, and what is the price range? When do students typically move off campus?
- How does the surrounding community view the college? Do students participate in local events or service projects?
Bonus! Are there any campus myths, legends, or superstitions? This is always a fun one!