Regardless of where you end up going to college, the cost of tuition, room and board, and late-night junk food can add up quickly. Even if you’ve won loads of scholarships, college life can be expensive. But if there’s one silver lining, it’s that lots of companies offer great discounts for college students. So put down that case of ramen and check out this list of just a few of the discounts you can get in on with your student ID or .edu e-mail address:
Electronics and software
- Apple Save up to $200 on a new Mac and up to $30 on a new iPad.
- Best Buy Sign up to receive coupons on things like laptops, software, and dorm room essentials like microwaves and furniture.
- Amazon Get Amazon Prime free for six months and 50% thereafter with a valid .edu e-mail address.
- Microsoft Get great discounts on software and other products (discounts vary by college).
- Amtrak Save 10% on the best available adult rail fare on most Amtrak trains with a Student Advantage Card.
- Rail Europe Discounted rates are available for travelers between 16 and 25 years of age.
- STA Travel Offers discounted flights and lodging for students. Plus, you can purchase their International Student Identity Card for just $25 and receive thousands of discounts all over the world.
- J. Crew Receive 15% off your purchase with a valid college ID.
- Banana Republic Receive 15% off your purchase with a valid student ID.
- The Limited Students, educators, and military personnel receive 15% off all purchases with a valid ID.
- Burger King Offers a 10% student discount at many locations.
- McDonald’s Offers a 10% student discount at many locations.
- Dominos Pizza Offers many discounts for students, though they vary by college location.
- Qdoba Many Qdoba locations offer $5 student burrito meals.
- Waffle House Get 10% off at many locations with your student ID.
Entertainment and other fun stuff
- The New York Times College students receive 50% off both print and digital subscriptions—so you can impress your poli sci professor with your knowledge of current events.
- AMC Theaters Receive lower ticket prices on Thursdays with a valid student ID.
- Gold’s Gym Offers discounted memberships to those with a valid student ID.
- Sam’s Club Offers discounted “Collegiate” memberships—and you’ll get a $15 gift card when you sign up.
- T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T These cell phone service providers offer various discounts in conjunction with many colleges and universities. Check with your school to find out if they've negotiated any special rates for students.
There are also many discounts that are specific to certain colleges and universities—such as special rates for public transportation or free admission to local museums and theaters—so be sure to explore what's available so you can get in on the savings.