Cooking is a fun way to pass the time and learn new skills at home during social distancing. These breakfast bars are quick and easy to make when you want something different—plus, they’re delish!
In this episode of College Cooking, Tyler shows us how to make chocolatey oatmeal bars in the microwave. All you need are a few ingredients and a little extra space in the fridge. You can make these bars the night before for a quick, delicious treat the next morning. Learn how in the video below!
What you’ll need
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 cups of oats
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- ¼ cup of canola oil
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- 1 microwave-safe dish
- Melt the stick of butter in the microwave (about a minute), then set aside.
- Mix together oats and brown sugar with a fork, being sure to break apart any clumps of brown sugar to be sure it is evenly distributed.
- Add the canola oil and melted butter to the oat mixture; continue to mix until it becomes a solid clump of oaty dough.
- Put dough into microwave-safe dish, patting it down so it’s nice and even.
- Microwave for three minutes.
- Add chocolate chips on top of the microwaved mix.
- Microwave at 30% for four minutes; make sure it’s set to 30% to avoid burning the chocolate and setting off the fire alarms! (“Don’t make people mad,” as Tyler says.)
- Spread the melted chocolate evenly across the top of the oats.
- Put the dish in the fridge to cool. Wait at least 20 minutes or leave overnight.
- Cut up and enjoy!