Worried about getting bored this summer? So were these guys. These celebrities and world shapers may be wildly different people, but they all went to summer camp. So take a look at where these famous people spent their summers. And if you’re looking for even more famous summer campers, you’ll find 25 here.
- Josh Gad, the voice of Olaf from the smash hit Frozen and LeFou in the live-action remake of Beauty and the Beast, went to Blue Ridge Camp in Georgia.
- Before Denzel Washington became the acting legend he is today, he went to YMCA Camp Sloan in Connecticut in 1977. Okay, technically he worked there as a counselor—but he was still there and even performed in a talent show!
- The Girl on Fire herself, Jennifer Lawrence, attended Kentucky’s Camp Loucon and Camp HiHo before going on to star in innumerable roles and win an Academy Award.
- J.D. Salinger not only wrote one of the most celebrated—and controversial—American novels of all time (The Catcher in the Rye), he also went to Camp Wigwam in Maine.
- Leonard Nimoy, Star Trek’s most beloved Vulcan, once went to the West End House Camp in Maine.
- Seinfeld creator Larry David was at the All-American Camp in New York when he was 13 years old.
- The namesake for the famous Richard Rogers Theater, home of Broadway’s hit show Hamilton, was an American composer who went to Paradox Camp in New York.
- Singer-songwriter and everyone’s favorite fictional mother of triplets on This is Us Mandy Moore and the Iron Man himself, Robert Downey, Jr., both attended Stagedoor Manor in New York.
- Folk singer-songwriter and music legend Paul Simon is an alumnus of Camp Starlight in Pennsylvania.
- Actress and producer Reese Witherspoon at one time went to Camp Monterey in Tennessee.
- Former president George W. Bush was a camper at Camp Longhorn in Texas.
- New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees attended Camp Champion in Texas.
- Actor Harrison Ford, most famous for his roles as Han Solo in Star Wars and Indiana Jones in Indiana Jones, spent time in Camp Napowan in Wisconsin.
- A few of the many, many notable alumni of the selective and government-centered American Legion Boys State camp include the first man to walk on the moon, Neil Armstrong; 42nd President of the United States of America, Bill Clinton; actor Mark Walberg; and musician Jon Bon Jovi.
- A few notable alumnae of the American Legion Girls State camp include Ann Richards, who grew up to become governor of Texas, and Michelle D. Johnson, who became the first female lead of a U.S. Defense Academy.
- Actor Chevy Chase is perhaps best known for his performance in the National Lampoon Vacation film series. He is slightly less well known for the fact that he went to Camp Tamakwa in Ontario!
- Steve Martin is a world-famous American actor and comedian who went to Camp Osceola in California.
Now, obviously, going to summer camp will not put you in line to become president, a famous singer, a renowned actor, or a classic author who will be read for decades to come. On the other hand…it just might. And at the very least, summer camp can be super fun.
Summer can be a time to grow and explore your interests, and summer camps are a great way to do that. Have fun out there!
Did you know these famous people went to summer camp? Got any celebrity camp alumni we should add? Leave a comment and let us know.