TRANSFORM YOUR WORLD!
Discover a big world on a small campus! At NDMU, you won’t get less of the world—you’ll be ready for more of it. With students from many different backgrounds, ethnicities, countries, and beliefs, NDMU will enrich and expand your world-view. Gain confidence, challenge yourself, and become a leader in your life and the lives of others.
The Women’s College Advantage
Studies show that students attending women’s colleges are...
• more engaged in academics than their female counterparts at co-ed institutions;
• more likely to complete a degree in the sciences; and
• more likely to assume leadership positions during their careers.
The NDMU Advantage
Notre Dame of Maryland University, the distinguished—and only—women’s university in Maryland, provides a vibrant learning and cultural environment in which young women thrive.
• Notre Dame has prepared women for leadership since its establishment in 1895 by the School Sisters of Notre Dame.
• Notre Dame women live by our Honor Code, which guides decisions and promotes a high standard of integrity— values that inform all aspects of students’ lives.
• The pursuit of truth is at the core of learning across the curriculum and is demonstrated by the University’s historic motto: Veritatem Prosequimur (We pursue truth).
• Notre Dame is a liberal arts university, distinguished as a leader in academic programs such as Education, Biology, Nursing, Business, Communication Arts, and Psychology. The University is distinctive in its commitment to educate women in the sciences.
LOCATION: Baltimore, Maryland; 58-acre wooded campus in a secure, residential area
CHARACTER: Independent, Catholic liberal arts university; established in 1895, Notre Dame of Maryland is in its second century of offering an education of quality and excellence. The Women’s College is a four-year undergraduate program for women. The College of Graduate Studies and College of Adult Undergraduate Studies provide educational experiences emphasizing professional and personal development for adult student populations of women and men.
ENROLLMENT: Almost 500 full-time students in the Women’s College at Notre Dame; additionally, more than 2,000 full- and part-time students attend the College of Graduate Studies and College of Adult Undergraduate Studies.
STUDENT-FACULTY RATIO: 7:1 undergraduate student-faculty ratio; 105 full-time faculty; 84% hold terminal degrees in their fields.
MAJORS AND AREAS OF EMPHASIS:
- Art History
- Pre-museum Studies
- Studio Art
• Behavioral Neuroscience
• Classical Studies
• Communication Arts
• Computer Information Systems
• Digital Media Arts
- Graphic Design
- Early Childhood
- Special Education
• Engineering (five-year dual-degree program)
- Creative Writing
• Environmental Sustainability
- Pre-museum Studies
• International Business
• International Studies
• Liberal Arts
• Marketing Communications
• Modern Foreign Languages
• Political Science
- International Relations
- Law and Civic Engagement
- Public Service
• Radiological Sciences
• Religious Studies
• Writing (as a second major)
PRE-PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMS: Dentistry, Law, Medicine, Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine
CURRICULUM PARTNERSHIPS: Students may cross-register for courses at six nearby colleges and universities, including Johns Hopkins University and Loyola University in Maryland.
INTERNSHIPS: Notre Dame students have impressive résumés even before they graduate, thanks to a strong internship program. Students have interned at such sites as the Space Telescope Science Institute, National Institutes of Health, Discovery Channel, Under Armour, the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, law firms, and radio and TV stations. More than 90% of students take part in experiential learning, including internships and study abroad. Through workshops, mentoring, and networking events, the First Impressions program prepares students to find and land that first job after college.
SPECIAL FACILITIES: Academic building houses state-of-the-art labs for nursing, an award-winning library, a computer center open seven days per week, graphics and fine arts studios, two exhibition art galleries, television and radio production studios, a student-run radio station, a planetarium, the Marion Burk Knott Sports and Activities Complex, and the Sister Kathleen Feeley International Center, which houses the English Language Institute and the Office of International Programs.
TUITION/ROOM AND BOARD (2018–2019): $35,600 tuition; $11,850 room and board; $1,300 consolidated fees; several tuition payment options are available.
FINANCIAL AID AND SCHOLARSHIPS: Notre Dame of Maryland University has a long-standing commitment to making a Notre Dame education possible for every student who applies. Financial aid packages typically consist of loans, scholarships, grants, and on-campus employment.
SPORTS AND FITNESS: Our 44,000-sq. ft. sports and activities complex is headquarters for eight NCAA Division III varsity teams: basketball, cross-country, field hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, tennis, and volleyball. It also houses racquetball courts, a dance studio, training and group fitness classes, an indoor walking track, and a brand-new, fully equipped fitness center.
A university dedicated to liberal arts in the Catholic tradition, Notre Dame was founded in 1895 by the School Sisters of Notre Dame and was the first Catholic women’s college to award bachelor’s degrees. Our diverse community shares the values embedded in our mission: personal and academic excellence, an inclusive community, and service and social responsibility.
As a Notre Dame Women’s College student, you’ll benefit from small classes, devoted faculty members who care about your success, and the University’s commitment to educating young women to be leaders. This rich and supportive environment will challenge you to excel and transform the world. Notre Dame offers:
• 27 majors, three five-year programs, and 28 minors that address and anticipate marketplace needs
• The ability to double-major or design your own course of study
• 4+1 BA/MAT program in Education
• 4+1 BA in Business/MA in Leadership and Management
• 3+4 Chemistry/PharmD program, in which you complete an accelerated degree in Chemistry before entering Notre Dame’s renowned School of Pharmacy
Whatever major or career you decide, Notre Dame will help you excel.
Our student body includes 500 women of different races and religions from across the United States and around the world. In addition to a variety of clubs and organizations, Notre Dame has a number of traditions more than 100 years in the making, including:
• Tree Trim
• 100 Nights
• Honors Convocation
• Notre Dame Day
• Christmas Dinner, served by faculty and staff
• And more!
Student-athletes participate in eight NCAA Division III sports:
• Field hockey
Plus, we offer the unique opportunity to participate in multiple sports—soccer in the fall, lacrosse in the spring, for instance.
Our community doesn’t end at the edges of our beautiful 58-acre wooded campus. As a member of the Baltimore Collegetown Network, we’re connected to more than 120,000 students at 14 other institutions. Off campus, Baltimore’s museums, cultural sites, shopping, restaurants, nightlife, and sporting events always provide something to do or see. Our location also provides great internship opportunities. Notre Dame’s Guaranteed Internship Program matches qualified students with possible employers such as:
• T. Rowe Price
• Discovery Communications
• Central Intelligence Agency
• Stanley Black & Decker
• Under Armour
• And many more!
A top education
Recognized nationally for excellence, Notre Dame has been named:
• One of the “Top Regional Universities in the North” by U.S. News & World Report
• One of the “Best Catholic Colleges and Universities” in the country by College Choice
• #11 among “Best US Women’s Colleges” by College Choice
• #24 among “Northern Regional Universities” by College Choice
Transforming the world
Coming to Notre Dame will not only change your own life—it will also give you the opportunity to transform the lives of others. Notre Dame students have recently:
• Donated over 108,000 hours of service
• Worked with youth and the elderly at a community center in Peru
• Given physicals to people in Haiti
• Mentored youth in Baltimore
• Promoted clean water efforts in Pakistan
• Stood up for victims of domestic violence
• Just to name a few!
Join a legacy of leadership, community, and transformation. Become a Notre Dame woman.