AT A GLANCE
• Enrollment: With about 3,000 total students, a 12:1 student-faculty ratio, and an average class size of fewer than 20 students, Alvernia is the perfect size for you to develop and thrive.
• Faculty: Our professors are actively engaged in their fields of study through scholarly research and direct professional experience. Students will benefit from a breadth of opportunities that put classroom learning into action through real-world applications.
• Student Activities: More than 55 student groups—including intramural and intercollegiate sports, academic clubs, honor societies, student government, and service clubs—deliver an out-of-the-classroom approach to hands-on learning.
• Financial Aid: An Alvernia education is affordable, and 100% of undergraduates receive financial aid and/or scholarships.
Programs of Study
Majors & Minors
• Addictions & Mental Health Treatment*
• Athletic Training (five-year master’s degree)
• Biology—Medical Laboratory Science
• Business (optional five-year MBA)
- Healthcare Administration
- Human Resource Management
- Sport Management
- Film, Culture & Creative Arts
- Media Design & Production
- Public Relations & Advertising
- Strategic Communications
- Theatre Studies
• Computer Science
• Criminal Justice Administration*
• Digital Media Marketing
- Early Childhood (PreK-4)
- Early Childhood (PreK-4) & Special Education (PreK-8)
• Environmental Science*
• Forensic Science*
• General Science*
• Healthcare Science#
• Liberal Studies
• Occupational Therapy (five-year master’s degree)
• Physical Therapy (six-year doctoral degree)
• Political Science*
• Social Work (optional five-year master’s degree)
• Community & Environmental Sustainability
• Community Engagement
• Computer & Information Studies
• Cultural Studies
• Cyber Security
• Data Science
• Digital Media
• International Studies
• Leadership Studies
• Women’s & Gender Studies
• Pre-physician Assistant
* Minor available
# May be used to track toward application for Doctor of Physical Therapy graduate program
Golden Wolves Athletics
About 40% of Alvernia undergraduates are student-athletes. Continuing a proud athletic tradition, Alvernia is a member of the Commonwealth Conference of the Middle Atlantic States Collegiate Athletic Corporation (MAC), a highly competitive NCAA Division III conference.
• Ice Hockey*
• Spirit Team*
• Track & Field
• Field Hockey
• Ice Hockey
• Spirit Team*
• Track & Field
* Club sports
Education with a purpose
Alvernia offers a range of academic programs with a learning approach that is grounded in the real world. With more than 600 courses and 50 majors and minors in nearly every field—including pre-professional programs in Dentistry, Law, Medicine, Pharmacology, and Veterinary Medicine—an Alvernia education will prepare you for the career you want.
Study abroad, internships, domestic and international service projects, our unique Washington Center Experience, the Holleran Center for Community and Global Engagement, and the O’Pake Institute for Ethics, Leadership, and Public Service are just a few of the opportunities at Alvernia that make classroom learning come alive. Through these hands-on experiences, students are exposed to real-world lessons that help develop successful professionals and engaged global citizens.
Here you’ll get a personal learning experience to discover, grow, and develop your own strengths in a secure setting. With about 3,000 students, a 12:1 student-faculty ratio, and an average class size of fewer than 20 students, Alvernia is the perfect size for students to develop and thrive.
Alvernia offers a rich campus life that provides hands-on experiences with more than 55 clubs and organizations, including intramural sports, student government, academic societies, and much more. While students are here, they’ll build their self-confidence as they learn to solve problems, make important decisions, and develop critical-thinking and leadership skills. Whatever your extracurricular interests, Alvernia will help you live your whole life—mind, body, and spirit.
A charming campus
Our beautiful 121-acre campus in historic Berks County is three miles from the heart of Reading, Pennsylvania, and just a short drive away from Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, and Washington, DC.
When it comes to on-campus living, Alvernia is second to none. Our student housing—which includes traditional halls, suite-style apartments, and townhouses—is well known for offering spacious and clean accommodations that make living on campus ideal. Our Village Apartments feature contemporary-style housing and offer the latest amenities, including gas fireplaces in the atriums and business centers for student use. Alvernia also offers special-interest housing options for like-minded students.
Alvernia is located in a quiet residential neighborhood just minutes from downtown Reading, Pennsylvania. Reading offers a mix of cultural and entertainment destinations, including:
• GoggleWorks Center for the Arts
• Reading Public Museum
• Outlet shopping
• Minor league sports (Reading Fightin Phils, Reading Royals, and Reading United)
• Concerts at the Santander Arena
You’ll also have plenty of opportunities for community involvement, internships, and fieldwork experience at many local agencies and organizations.
The beautiful Blue Marsh Lake is close to campus and offers biking, hiking, kayaking, swimming, and more. Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, French Creek State Park, Nolde Forest, the Schuylkill River Trail adjacent to Angelica Park, and plenty of great golf courses are also nearby.
A Franciscan heritage
Alvernia is one of only 24 Franciscan institutions in the United States. Our values-based learning philosophy is guided by the idea of “knowledge joined with love,” which shapes both our educational philosophy and strong campus community. Our emphasis on developing ethical leaders with moral courage is blended with a commitment to service in a campus environment that provides our students the ideal setting to grow and develop.
Alvernia measures success by graduates’ personal and professional satisfaction and by the many ways they contribute to the greater good in all areas of society. Graduates work in education, health care, social services, large and small businesses, the media, law firms, law enforcement, all levels of government, and in many other professions and fields. No matter what your aspirations and dreams, we’ll give you the tools and support to help you succeed.
“As an Alvernia professor, I am reassured that what we’re doing at this University matters.”
— Di You, PhD, Assistant Professor of Psychology