At Simpson College, our goal is your success. Whether it’s in the classroom, during your internship, with your clubs or teams, in serving others, or after you graduate, giving you the tools to have a successful and rewarding life is just one of the things that has set us apart since we were founded in 1860. You can see it in how our faculty and staff put you first, pushing you to think, create, innovate, and serve your local and global communities. Success is an attitude. A belief. A state of mind. It’s the Simpson Experience.
Programs of Study
• Actuarial Science
• Applied Philosophy
- Art History
- Graphic Design
- Studio Art
• Arts Management
• Clinical Health Science
• Computer Information Systems
• Computer Science
• Criminal Justice
• Economics and Finance
- Elementary Education
- Secondary Education
• Environmental Science—Biology
• Exercise Science
• Forensic Science/Biochemistry
• Global Management
• Health Services Leadership
• Human Resources Management
• Human Services
• Interactive Media
• Interdisciplinary Studies
• International Relations
• Latin American Studies
• Multimedia Communications
- Multimedia Journalism
- Public Relations
- Sports Communication
• Music Education
• Music Performance
• Physical Education
• Political Science
• Pre-athletic Training
• Pre-occupational Therapy
• Pre-physical Therapy
• Pre-veterinary Medicine
• Social Justice
• Sports Administration
• Theatre Arts
• Women’s and Gender Studies
“Every faculty and staff member wants nothing more than to help every student that walks through their door become the most successful version of themselves.”
— Jordan Ukena ’17, Biology
“Through Simpson, I have become a better person. Through the resources and opportunities provided for me, I landed a job before graduation.”
— Morgan Moline ’17Elementary Education and Liberal Studies
The academic experience
Simpson’s innovative learning environment is designed to give you the hands-on opportunities necessary to develop into the effective communicators, innovators, and problem solvers that employers and graduate schools are looking for. It’s why we encourage students to study around the world and participate in internships. It’s learning brought to life.
• Our professors are experienced in and dedicated to their fields of study, and they’re the ones teaching you, not graduate assistants. With a student-faculty ratio of 13:1, these acclaimed scholars will know you by name and provide you with opportunities that will broaden and enrich your experience both in and out of the classroom.
• Our distinctive May Term is a three-week intensive course at the end of each academic year. You can stay on campus and immerse yourself in a particular subject, or you can choose from one of many study abroad experiences that will take you around the world. Students have studied Biology in Madagascar, History in Rome, and Business in China. Other recent offerings have included trips to Australia, Costa Rica, Greece, Italy, Namibia, Spain, and the United Kingdom.
• Simpson’s internship program gives you a strategic advantage in a competitive job market or when pursuing graduate studies. You will benefit from the plentiful internship opportunities in the Des Moines metro area as well as the vast network of alumni willing to open doors to students from their alma mater.
Thriving student life and multicultural programs
With more than 75 student clubs and organizations, you will find multiple opportunities to sharpen your leadership skills, develop current interests, or discover new ones. Simpson takes pride in offering an array of residential student housing options, including traditional residence halls, suite-style residence halls, on-campus apartments, and Greek residences.
• From nationally ranked athletic teams to widely acclaimed music and theatre programs to an award-winning newspaper, the opportunities for involvement and leadership are numerous and diverse. Nearly 90% of students participate in intramurals, student government, athletics, performing arts, or one of the many student clubs and organizations.
• Simpson’s 19 varsity athletic programs compete for conference, regional, and NCAA Division III championships each year.
• Multicultural Student Alliance (MSA) schedules speakers and performers each year focusing on multicultural experiences.
• The Carver Cultural Center (named in honor of George Washington Carver, who attended Simpson) is a multicultural resource center and provides a unique living and learning environment for selected students. The Center is a comfortable gathering place for meetings and community projects as well as social events and open discussions about cultural experiences and interests.
• La Casa Cultural Center fosters the development of educational, cultural, sociopolitical, and social programs that lead to greater recruitment, advancement, and empowerment of Latino students.
Simpson College is steeped in tradition but not bound by it. The beauty of our buildings and facilities is matched by our commitment to providing the technology and amenities for 21st-century learning.
• The Kent Campus Center is the hub of campus and a popular destination for students. It features a café-bakery, Tyler’s Grille, and a coffee shop featuring Starbucks products.
• A multimillion-dollar expansion of Simpson’s athletic and fitness center provides a state-of-the-art fitness, wellness, and strength and conditioning facility.
• A renovation and expansion of Blank Performing Arts Center provides an exceptional fine arts facility that includes the 125-seat Barnum Studio Theatre and the 500-seat Pote Theatre. Pote Theatre is also home to the summer season of the internationally acclaimed Des Moines Metro Opera.
Our location is one of Simpson’s most important assets and offers you the best of both worlds: small-town security and charm while only minutes from the amenities of a major city.
• Indianola is a vibrant community of 15,000 residents 12 miles from Iowa’s capital and largest metropolitan city, Des Moines. Indianola is home to the National Balloon Classic, a major hot air ballooning event; hundreds of acres of parks and trails; and the Des Moines Metro Opera.
• Recognized nationally as one of the top cities for young professionals, Des Moines offers world-class theatre and music venues, several semi-professional sports teams, artisan shopping, and ethnic food districts.
Investing in your future
Your education is one of the most important investments you will ever make. When you choose a college, you want assurance that it will result in your future success. Our alumni offer that proof. Many of our most accomplished graduates credit their time at Simpson for putting them on the path toward success. Simpson’s efforts to keep quality high and cost affordable are among the distinctions for which we are most proud. Simpson’s outstanding scholarship program includes numerous academic, special-interest, and fine arts awards.
• One hundred percent of our students receive financial assistance, and Simpson offers a wide range of scholarship and grant programs, including the George Washington Carver Fellowship program for students who exhibit potential for leadership, evidence of service to the community, and outstanding academic achievement.
Invitation to visit
There’s no better way to truly get a feel for what Simpson has to offer than by spending time on campus. You will appreciate the beauty of the campus, the friendliness of the people, and the quality of our strong liberal arts education. If you live more than 250 miles from campus, you may be eligible for our fly-in program. Take the first step toward your success. Schedule your visit online at simpson.edu/visit.