Academic and research powerhouse. Stellar faculty. Engaged students.
Rutgers University–NEW BRUNSWICK is a premier American public research university located on the northeastern coast of the United States in the State of New Jersey. With a central location on the train line between New York City and Philadelphia, you will have easy access to hundreds of employers and thousands of internships. Five residential campuses offer a variety of environments from urban to suburban, with beaches and mountains about an hour away.
Type of SCHOOL: Public university
Size of Campus: 2,685 acres, 640 buildings
Number of Students: 36,000+ undergraduate students and 6,500+ international students
Number of Faculty: Approximately 4,000 full- and part-time faculty
Colleges, Programs, and Degrees: 17 schools and colleges offering associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees
Geographic Diversity: Students from all 50 states and 115 countries
International Student Services: The Rutgers Global—International Students & Scholars Office works toward developing a comprehensive, campus-wide set of international initiatives and services, initiating collaborative projects and strategic partnerships around the world and expanding students’ opportunities for international study and research.
International Student Budget:
Tuition $ 27,560
Fees $ 3,019
Housing and Food (per year) $ 12,452
Total $ 43,031
Costs vary slightly by school.
Professional school tuition can be as much as $1,445 more, depending on the school; international students will incur additional expenses for costs such as travel, books, and insurance.
• You must be a US citizen, US national, or US permanent resident to be eligible to apply for need-based financial aid.
• Merit-based scholarships up to $10,000 are available for select international students.
Test Score Requirements:
• SAT or ACT scores are required if you are currently enrolled in secondary school, or if you graduated from secondary school less than two years ago and will not have at least 12 college credits completed by the application due date.
• An English proficiency examination (i.e., TOEFL, IELTS) is required of all students whose secondary schooling has been in countries where English is not the principal language.
- TOEFL minimum 79
- IELTS minimum 6.5
Application Deadlines and fees:
Undergraduate application due dates:
- First-Year Early Action: November 1
- Regular Admission: December 1
- Transfer: February 1
- First-Year and transfer: October 1
• Application fee: $70
• The Rutgers School of Health Professions has a different application process than other Rutgers schools.
Whether it’s organizing local food drives, volunteering at health clinics abroad, or researching the causes of autism, Rutgers–New Brunswick provides real-world experiences to prepare you for life. Founded over 250 years ago, Rutgers–New Brunswick is the eighth-oldest institution of higher education in the United States and the flagship campus of the State University of New Jersey.
Points of pride
• Member of the Association of American Universities, a highly selective organization comprised of the leading 62 research universities in North America
• Top producer of Fulbright students for the eighth consecutive year—The Chronicle of Higher Education
• More than 100 majors, 4,000 courses, 175 research centers, and 500 student organizations
• A biomedical and health sciences division that includes two medical schools, a dental school, and all the clinical practices that make up a truly comprehensive research university
• #1 Public Undergraduate Engineering Program in NYC/NJ Metro Area — U.S. News & World Report
• #1 in the nation, “Best Colleges to Study Health Professions” — College Factual
• #2 Public Undergraduate Business Program in NYC/NJ Metro Area — U.S. News & World Report
• #14 in the nation, Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Molecular Biology — College Factual
• #25 Public National University — U.S. News & World Report
• #49 in the world — Center for World University Rankings
Find your career path
• More than 750 employers and graduate schools visit campus each year to recruit our students.
• Road to Wall Street and Road to Communication & Media programs allow you to connect with successful Rutgers alumni.
• Land your dream internship in New York City or Philadelphia.
• Our location places you at the center of the world’s largest employment hub. Johnson & Johnson, JPMorgan Chase & Co., Deloitte, Citi, Ernst & Young LLP, and Lockheed Martin are among the top employers of our recent graduates.
• 500+ student organizations; at least 40 dedicated to religious/cultural interests
• Our inclusive community is home to students of many faiths and traditions.
• 25+ recognized campus ministries
• An extensive athletics program, including 24 Division I Big Ten teams, 100+ club sports and intramural leagues, fitness and aquatics classes, and more