Colby College, one of the country’s premier independent liberal arts colleges, is a privateinstitution located in Waterville, Maine.
Facts About Colby
• 2,000 students, all undergraduates, come from more than 43 states and 70 countries.
• 58 majors and 35 minors
• 10:1 student-faculty ratio
• Three out of four classes have fewer than 20 students.
• 75% of Colby graduates go on to earn an advanced degree.
• More than 20% are domestic students of color, and more than 10% are non-US citizens.
Class of 2021 Student Profile
• 15.8% of 11,190 applicants were offered admission.
• Middle 50% SAT score: 1330–1510
• Middle 50% ACT score: 31–33
Colby’s focus on rigorous academics and student-faculty partnerships, undergraduate research opportunities, andunique connections—to the community, to a supportive alumni network,and to global experiential learning opportunities—enriches the student experience and prepares graduates for lifelong success.
Pedagogy grounded in research
Working in partnership with faculty scholars on cutting-edge academic andscientific work, students regularly present at national and international conferences and become authors, coauthors, and editors of articles, editions, and book-length publications. The establishment of the Buck Lab for the Environment and Climate Change provides students with unparalleled opportunities for environmental-focused research, internships, and global experiences. With funded support from the Buck Lab, students can work closely with faculty to understand complex environmental systems and make connections around the world. Every summer students engage in research alongside Colby faculty mentors, both on campus and beyond.
Education with a global reach
All students have access to global opportunities through Colby’s new DavisConnects program. Colby connects students to experiential opportunitiesaround the world. Many students intern and conduct research globally, andtwo-thirds of students study abroad with over 200 programs in 60 countries.
Unique partnerships and internships
• Colby College Museum of Art partnerships with the Art Institute of Chicago, the Smithsonian Institution, and the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston offer prestigious internship opportunities for students.
• Colby’s one-month academic term, Jan Plan, allows students to pursue focused course work on campus or off, independent studies, collaborative research, or internships during an intensive four-week term. For example, students intern at a Fortune 500 company or small nonprofit,study the anthropology of utopias, or travel to Bermuda for a field research course in geology.
• The College offers two Engineering dual-degree programs. Students can graduate with a Bachelor of Arts from Colby and obtain an Engineering degree from one of two Ivy League institutions: Dartmouth College or Columbia University.
• Colby’s location in Maine provides dynamic experiential learning opportunities through digital humanities labs; the exploration of voter participation, socioeconomics, and immigration; and environmental science and policy research on the Belgrade Lakes and beyond.
• Colby’s partnership with the Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences enables select juniors to work alongside research scientists studying marine ecosystems on the coast of Maine.
World-class visual and performing arts
• Connect to the arts and interdisciplinary research with the help of a transformative gift of more than$100 million to the Colby College Museum of Art, which will add nearly 1,150 works to the collection. The launch of the Lunder Institute for American Art establishes Colby as the only liberal arts college with a world-class art museum and a global research center for American art.
• The Colby Museum of Art is the finest college art museum in the country and serves as a living classroom to more than 100 courses in 25 academic departments.
• The Center for the Arts and Humanities offers students the opportunity to experience the arts and humanities through an annual campus-wide interdisciplinary theme, vibrant programming featuring renowned speakers from around the world, and humanities labs that provide experiential learning opportunities in a variety of disciplines.
Vibrant student life
• Colby students will soon have access to a brand-new, 350,000-sq. ft. athletic center that includes a 200-meter indoor track, an Olympic-size Myrthapool, and new spaces for both varsity athletic competitions and recreational use. The $200 million sustainably designed complex will beamong the best Division III athletic facilities in the United States.
• Ongoing developments in Colby’s hometown include the construction of a downtown residence hall, supporting civic engagement in the local community.
Committed to access
The Colby Commitment is an extraordinary effort to ensure the best students from every background have access to the best possible education. Colby promises to meet 100% of demonstrated financial need for all admittedstudents without including loans inits financial aid packages so that students can focus on their postgraduate goals, not repaying student loan debt.There are no fees or supplementary essays required to apply to Colby.