St. Thomas Aquinas College
Learn to teach, teach to learn
At St. Thomas Aquinas College, teaching and learning go hand in hand. Our renowned School of Education produces some of the nation’s most innovative and inspiring educators and leaders in public and private schools and in government and clinical settings.
Founded as a teacher education institution in 1952, St. Thomas Aquinas College is listed as a “Top-Tier Regional University (North)” by U.S. News & World Report. The School of Education has an excellent reputation for its nationally recognized teacher preparation programs and is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
You have options
The School of Education offers two paths to a career working with children and adolescents.
• Teacher certification programs: At the undergraduate level, the School of Education offers teacher preparation programs at all levels, from early childhood through adolescence. In addition to the undergraduate path toward certification, we offer integrated five-year dual-degree programs: a bachelor’s degree in Childhood Education or Adolescence certification, with a master’s degree in Special Education. These programs prepare students to obtain their teacher certification not only in New York but also in other states. The College also offers master’s and post-master’s programs in Autism, Special Education, and Literacy.
• Educational Studies: The Bachelor of Science in Educational Studies, an interdisciplinary program, is designed to provide students with a fundamental knowledge of educational theory and effective practices related to teaching and learning in a number of fields. Educational Studies supports students who may be interested in pursuing a graduate degree in Psychology or Social Work or their teacher certification at a later date.
As early as freshman year, the School of Education requires candidates to participate in off-campus classroom activities in area and regional school districts. These activities, commonly known as field experience, involve the direct observation of teaching, participation in teaching, or teaching itself that is related to the teacher education program in which the candidate is enrolled. All candidates in the School of Education participate in field-based activities prior to student teaching.
The mission of the St. Thomas Aquinas College School of Education is to prepare knowledgeable and caring educators who are passionate about teaching and learning. We strive to prepare our graduates to make informed decisions that will result in effective, inclusive learning opportunities for diverse learners; to prepare future educators to become effective communicators and collaborators who have a strong understanding of their disciplines and the assessment practices that drive their instruction; and to develop reflective, lifelong learners who will have a positive effect on student achievement and will become master teachers and instructional leaders.
Join the great tradition of excellence at St. Thomas Aquinas College. Be a teacher!
The College offers a variety of campus events throughout the year so you can get to know us better. Meet our Education faculty, staff, and students; tour our 60-acre suburban campus; and learn how we can make your college experience a memorable one that will lead to success after graduation. Visit stac.edu/visit for our schedule.
“Our outstanding faculty, experts in their field, are dedicated to preparing talented teachers ready to meet the needs of all students in today’s diverse classrooms.”
— Dr. Meenakshi Gajria, Dean for the School of Education
#119 in Regional Universities North | U.S. News & World Report, 2022
#161 in Top Perfomers on Social Mobility | U.S. News & World Report, 2022
Named a 2022-2023 College of Distinction
Our beautiful metropolitan campus gives you a safe, welcoming environment. Yet it’s just 15 miles north of New York City, giving you quick access to cultural and career opportunities in one of the world’s most exciting cities.
• Adolescence Education (7-12)
- Social Studies
• Art Education (K-12)
• Childhood & Special Education (1-6)
• Childhood Education (1-6)
• Early Childhood & Childhood Education (Birth-6)
• Educational Studies
• Middle Level Extension (5–9)
Five-Year Dual-Degree Programs
• Childhood & Special Education, Grades 1-6, BSEd—MSEd
• Mathematics & Special Education, Grades 7-12, BS—MSEd
• Social Studies & Special Education, Grades 7-12, BS—MSEd
• Spanish & Special Education, Grades 7-12, BA—MSEd
Visit us at stac.edu for a complete listing of graduate programs.
“The quality of STAC’s education program has opened amazing opportunities for my school and myself.”
"I know who I am now because of STAC.”
“STAC provides an in-depth learning experience and prepares you to be successful in an array of environments.”