Loyola University Maryland

Baltimore, MD

Loyola University Maryland

Baltimore, MD

Explore Loyola University Maryland's Featured Profiles:

Undergrad Science & Engineering Health & Medicine Transfer Catholic Business Education

Ready to build lasting relationships

At Loyola University Maryland, we do more than prepare teachers—we shape accomplished educators. Our commitment to education and social justice stems from a 450-year-old Jesuit tradition that values academic excellence, integrity, service, community, and discernment. We aim to educate the whole person in intellect, consciousness, and spirit so our students have the knowledge, compassion, and moral compass to lead the way for others. Our mission is to prepare educators who can bring about fundamental change for a student, a school, or a system. Our education programs develop highly effective and ethical leaders and change agents who share our convictions about—as well as our commitment to—achieving social justice by improving education for all children, especially those students who suffer most from an inadequate system.

Undergraduate Education programs
Loyola’s School of Education prides itself on outstanding teacher preparation based on the Jesuit traditions of academic excellence, diversity, promotion of justice, and leadership. You’ll benefit from learning in small class sizes from dedicated faculty who are experts in their educational specialties. You’ll gain acumen, exposure, and experience through service learning, field, and clinical experiences in Baltimore‑area public and parochial schools, student organizations, in‑class speakers, and special on‑campus events. This robust curriculum and a holistic learning environment prepare students for successful admission to graduate programs or to immediately launch their educational careers.

Loyola offers four pathways to teacher certification within the School of Education: The Elementary Education major, dual certification with the Elementary Education major with a Special Education minor, the independent Secondary Education minor, and a five-year BA/BS to Master of Arts in Teaching program.

ACCOLADES

 

Ranked #4 in the nation among the “Best Colleges in the North” | U.S. News & World Report

 

Ranked in the top 7% of US schools for mid-career salary potential of graduates | PayScale.com

 

Recognized as a “top school for value” by Kiplinger’s, Forbes, Moneymagazine, The Princeton Review, and Wall Street Journal

 

Ranked #4 nationally among the “Best Undergraduate Teaching Programs” for focus and commitment to excellence in teaching | U.S. News & World Report, 2021

 

Ranked #19 in the nation among master’s institutions with study abroad programs | Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange, 2019

Pathways to Teacher Certification
• Elementary Education (major)
• Secondary Education (minor)
• Five-year BA/BS to Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
• Elementary Education with Special Education minor (dual certification)

Minors Offered
• Special Education
• Urban Education

Teacher Certification
Our programs are approved by the Maryland State Department of Education. Graduates who complete program requirements and successfully pass licensure exams are eligible for teacher certification in Maryland and other states with reciprocity agreements. With a Loyola degree, 90% of students launch careers in teaching directly after graduating, while the remaining 10% enter graduate programs for education specialties or administrative degrees.

An Inside Look

What students are saying about us...

  • “Many of my professors at Loyola have been some of my biggest advocates and supporters, and I wouldn't trade them for the world.”

    • Grace ’21
      Elementary Education with a Special Education minor
  • “I loved the equity work many of my professors were involved with—and I knew I wanted to be part of something that was changing education and ensuring it was available and accessible to everyone.”

    • Maria ’19
      Master of Arts in Teaching
  • “Initially, I thought I wanted to become a high school choir director, but after my experiences in an elementary practicum course, I felt I had finally found my niche.”

    • Hannah ’21
      Master of Education in Kodály Music Education