While HLGU is affiliated withthe Missouri Baptist Convention (Southern Baptist), every major denomination is represented on campus. Students who choose Hannibal-LaGrange recognize the added value of a Christian university. They seek a sense of community among fellow students who share similar ideals.
More than a motto
Knowledge for Service is more than just our motto—it drives everything we do. We believe in the importance of a well-rounded education, with training that equips you mentally, physically, spiritually, and socially. Knowledgeis just half the equation—service is what brings meaning and purpose to your life.
The professors at Hannibal-LaGrange University know you want to have a sense of purpose in life. At HLGU, we want to help you determine, develop, and live out your purpose. That’s why the personal attention our professors give you is so important. Along with that personal attention are opportunities for service that equip you to make a difference.
Founded in 1858, Hannibal-LaGrange is a Christian university fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. We currently have students from 24 states and 16 countries. HLGU’s campus provides spacious facilities for its diverse student body, including a state-of-the-art science center and a newly renovated student center, home to The HLGU Loft. This new café is located on the top floor of the student center and has the best views of campus. The space offers students a place to hang out, enjoy concerts, play games, watch TV, and get a cup of coffee, a smoothie, or a snack.
Just the right size
The student-faculty ratio is 13:1.
Honors and awards
Hannibal-LaGrange University has been ranked as one of “America’s Best Christian Colleges” for 15 consecutive years and consistently receives the honor of being recognized as a Champions of Character® “Five-Star Institution.”
An affordable investment
HLGU is one of the most reasonably priced private universities in the Midwest—98% of our students receive financial aid in the form of scholarships, loans, grants, and work-study.
Hannibal-LaGrange is located in “America’s Hometown,” Hannibal, Missouri. The community combines the charm and security of a midwestern setting with international appeal as people from all over the world visit Hannibal to relive Mark Twain’s childhood adventures. The campus is located just minutes from downtown Hannibal and within walking distance of shopping, restaurants, and fast-food establishments. HLGU’s historic campus is just 100 miles north of St. Louis, situated on 110 acres of scenic hills and woods on the bluffs above the Mississippi River.
For gifted and highly motivated students, HLGU offers an honors program that focuses on a rigorous course of study in literature, history, science, and Christianity. Honors classes encourage personal creativity and insight as students and professors interact in an atmosphere that promotes original thinking.
See for yourself
Tour the campus, meet professors, and spend some time with HLGU students. Come and get to know Hannibal-LaGrange—a university that equips students with Knowledge for Service.
GET INVOLVED AT HLGU
• Praise Song: Voice and instrumental ensemble performing a mix of traditional hymns, praise songs, and contemporary Christian music
• Chamber Choir: A team of men and women who present sacred a cappella music and songs with acoustic instruments as a worship ministry
• The New Edition: Traveling repertory theatre troupe specializing in Christian theatre
• Local Service Projects (Jerusalem Projects): Volunteer projects performed by HLGU students for individuals and nonprofit agencies
• Mission Trips: State, regional, national, and international mission trips during fall, Christmas, spring, and summer breaks
NAIA Division I and NCCAA Athletic Programs
• Men’s: Baseball, basketball, cheerleading, cross-country, golf, shotgun sports, soccer, track & field, and wrestling
• Women’s: Basketball, cheerleading, cross-country, golf, shotgun sports, soccer, softball, track & field, and volleyball
PLUS, MORE THAN 35 CAMPUS ORGANIZATIONS!