Can you believe it’s the last month of 2021? It’s also a busy, busy time for students in all grade levels, with finals, college applications, winter break plans, and more! Get organized and ready for the holidays with our calendar of important dates in December. Happy planning (and almost Happy New Year!).
General monthly planning
- High school freshmen: Ninth graders are nearly through their first semester of high school—congrats! Make sure the second half of the school year is as successful as the first with Freshman Year of High School: Our Best Survival Advice.
- High school sophomores: Have your 10th graders started their scholarship search yet? Winter break is a great time to look for awards, even for younger students.
- High school juniors: Many high school juniors look for ways to improve their extracurricular résumés around this time for a better college application later. Winter break is the perfect time to look for volunteering opportunities!
- High school seniors: Most Early Action and Early Decision deadlines have passed, but there are some schools that extend their deadlines into December or have a secondary Early Decision deadline in January. Winter break is also a great time for seniors to revise and improve their college essays for Regular Decision admission deadlines.
Month-long observances and celebrations
- Advent: This is the extended observance most Christian denominations follow in preparation for Christmas, the commemoration of the birth of Jesus. Get your Advent calendars ready!
- National Handwashing Awareness Month: It’s more important than ever to follow simple health precautions like handwashing at home, school, work—everywhere!
- Learn a Foreign Language Month: Encourage your students to expand their horizons with these top tips for learning foreign languages.
- Procrastination Awareness Month: Procrastination may plague us every month, but being aware and learning to curb this bad habit is the theme of December.
Wednesday, December 1
World Aids Day
First observed in 1988, today is a day to educate yourself and others about HIV and AIDS and ways to prevent them.
Friday, December 3
Complete SAT scores released
Colleges should receive complete SAT scores for the November 6 test date by today.
Saturday, December 4
SAT test date
This SAT test date is available to all students around the country.
4 Awesome (and Free) SAT Prep Resources: If students need a little extra help getting ready for the test, they can check out these amazing free resources!
Monday, December 6
Last day of Hanukkah
We hope the Jewish community had a wonderful eight days of celebrating this year. Happy Hanukkah!
Wednesday, December 8
Free SAT Bootcamp
Students can sign up today for the first session of Kaplan’s monthly free SAT Bootcamp webinars. The class runs from 7:00–8:30 pm on Wednesday the 8th.
Thursday, December 9
Free college admission webinar
Moon Prep is offering students a free virtual webinar this month to help students with the college application process. Students can sign up for “Ask Me Anything—Get Advice From an Experienced College Counselor” on December 9 from 8:00–9:00 pm.
Ask the Experts: If your students would like more advice from experts who know what they’re talking about, they can check out our quick Ask the Experts posts, which answer questions posed by real students like them.
Friday, December 10
Human Rights Day
Designated by the UN in 1948, Human Rights Day promotes their cause with a yearly theme. This year’s theme is EQUALITY: Reducing inequalities, advancing human rights.
Nobel Prize Day
Today awards and honors those who are contributing to the progress and success of fields such as physics, literature, peace, medicine, and more. Encourage your students to reach for the stars and the greater good with these types of careers!
Saturday, December 11
ACT test date
This ACT test date is available for all students around the country.
Sunday, December 12
Free ACT prep class
Students can sign up today for the first session of Kaplan’s monthly free ACT prep classes. The course runs from 12:00–1:00 pm on Sunday the 12th.
Friday, December 17
SAT multiple-choice scores released
The multiple-choice test scores should be released today for the December 4 SAT test date.
Monday, December 20
Free ACT prep class
Students can sign up today for the second session of Kaplan’s monthly free ACT prep classes. This option runs from 7:00–8:00 pm on Monday the 20th.
Tuesday, December 21
ACT multiple-choice scores released
The multiple-choice test scores should be released today for the December 11 ACT test date.
Wednesday, December 22
Free SAT Bootcamp
Students can sign up today for the second session of Kaplan’s monthly free SAT Bootcamp webinars. This one runs from 2:00–3:30 pm on Wednesday the 22nd.
Saturday, December 25
Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate!
@dram via GIPHY
Sunday, December 26
Start of Kwanzaa
Joyous Kwanzaa to the African and African American community!
The Gift of Volunteering: 7 Opportunities for Winter Break: There’s no better time to give back than the holidays! Give the gift of your time and energy to those in need this season.
Friday, December 31
New Year’s Eve
It’s time to put 2021 to rest and hope that 2022 has better things in store for us in our lives with the pandemic!
Have your students joined the CollegeXpress community yet? Refer them here! They can also check out our Ultimate College Search Guide series on YouTube for quick college planning videos covering all four years of high school!