Master of Science, Library and Information Science (MS LIS)
Taught by our award-winning faculty, the MS LIS program focuses on the competencies needed in the marketplace to lead librarians, information specialists, and archivists into the future. Our locations in Boston and on the Mount Holyoke College campus, as well as our online programs, provide students with hands-on learning opportunities in some of the nation’s finest libraries, information organizations, and cultural heritage institutions. We are committed to our students’ ongoing success as leaders in the library, information science, and archives fields.
Building on 100-year-old traditions, the School of Library and Information Science (SLIS) has earned an internationally renowned reputation and a consistent national ranking as a top Library and Information program. SLIS alumni work in a variety of settings—including a range of academic libraries, Fortune 500 enterprises, cultural heritage institutions, public libraries, school libraries, start-ups, and information organizations—and are leaders in professional organizations. Employers actively recruit our graduates.
We prepare 21st-century librarians, information specialists, and archivists by:
• Aligning education with the professional competencies needed for a variety of roles today and in the future;
• Offering special dual degrees, accelerated graduate programs, and unique offerings to create distinctive learning opportunities;
• Promoting leadership, innovation, and community engagement;
• Raising public awareness about the contributions of librarians, information specialists, and archivists to increase cooperation in communities, enhance education, and provide services essential to sustaining our democracy; and
• Providing a continuing education program that offers career development support beyond the receipt of formal degrees.
Stay informed about upcoming developments by connecting with us on the Student Experience Blog, Facebook, and Twitter @SimmonsSLIS.