Regardless of whether the school you’re planning to attend has a religious affiliation, going off to college may be the greatest test of your faith you’ve ever experienced. You’ll be exposed to new people, ideas, and experiences, all of which can be both exciting and challenging as you strive to maintain your Christian values. If you’re looking for some meaningful summer reading, there are dozens of books out there that offer priceless advice on how to navigate college life as a Christian. Here’s a look at just a few of these fun and faith-affirming reads.
1. The College Adventure Handbook: The Ultimate Guide for Surviving College, Building a Strong Faith, and Getting a Hot Date Written with warmth and humor that will make you feel like you’re reading a letter from a good friend, this book offers practical advice alongside spiritual insights to help Christian students stay on the right path throughout college. Topics include dealing with roommates, steering clear of temptation, and passing your classes—all while making your faith a natural part of your college experience.
2. The Survival Guide for Christians on Campus: How to Be Students and Disciples at the Same Time This book will force you to think outside the box and question everything—in a good way. Authors Tony Campolo and Will Willimon believe that tough questions can bolster your Christian faith rather than threaten it. “Open this book and find the help and heart to walk into the jungle of campus life and walk out more than a conqueror.”
3. Everything You Need to Know Before College: A Student’s Survival Guide Loaded with practical tips and tricks, this book is a fun and breezy read that will help prepare you for all aspects of college life as a Christian. Laid-back but insightful, it covers such topics as healthy dating, managing your money, how to get involved on campus, what you should pack for dorm life, and much more.
4. How to Stay Christian in College Sharing your faith with others on campus may seem intimidating, but it shouldn’t. This book will help you learn how to be open about your faith in the face of potential ridicule. Filled with real-life stories from students who’ve been in your shoes, How to Stay Christian in College tackles the many worldviews and myths you may encounter on campus while giving you the encouragement you need to face the challenges that lie ahead.
5. The Outrageous Idea of Academic Faithfulness: A Guide for Students Many students may keep their Christian life separate from their academic life, but that doesn’t have to be the case. This book demonstrates how your faith and your studies can go hand in hand and uses biblical illustrations to show you how to circumvent the potholes that could trip up your faith.
Have you read any good books with advice for Christian college students? Share your favorites in the comments!