- Learn what factors are important to your son or daughter’s college search.
- Read anything you can get about those colleges and universities that are high on their list.
- Make use of every technology available to facilitate the college search: phone, fax, email, the internet.
- It’s never too early—or too late—to begin financial planning to meet college costs.
- Use your child’s college counselor wisely. Counselors can provide a wealth of good advice and information.
- Use the resources and assistance of the US government provided by overseas Educational Advising Centers.
- Know who to contact: get the phone numbers and email addresses of international admission staff members where your son or daughter has applied.
- Make use of alumni who support the admission process of their alma maters. They can provide valuable firsthand information.
- If possible, arrange for your son or daughter to make a campus visit.
- Remember, this is the admission process of your son or daughter—support, but don’t lead.
Checklist for Parents of International Students
Last Updated: May 8, 2019
Originally Posted: Oct 27, 2011
Like what you’re reading?
Join the CollegeXpress community! Create a free account and we’ll notify you about new articles, scholarship deadlines, and more.Join Now