Experience the Difference
A reputation for caring
Time and again, students and visitors to Slippery Rock agree they have never experienced a more caring and friendly university. For international students, support begins with the Office for Global Engagement, from the application and enrollment process to graduation and beyond. But it doesn’t stop there. From the clerks in the dining halls to our faculty and highest levels of administration, you’ll find that students are #1 at SRU.
A foundation for excellence
With more than 80 challenging academic programs to choose from, taught by our accomplished professors in small class sizes (20:1 student-faculty ratio), you’ll receive individualized academic and career advisement. SRU offers a comprehensive learning experience that purposefully combines academic instruction with hands-on learning, preparing you for not only your first job but also for lifelong career and personal success.
The Honors Program at SRU offers students an intensified academic experience with living and learning opportunities for intellectual growth at an advanced level in course work, signature research projects, and study abroad. Students build leadership skills every day, from vigorous classroom debate to peer mentoring. For more information about the program, criteria for admission, and scholarships, visit sru.edu/honorsprogram.
There are more than 160 student organizations available, focusing on culture, academics, performing arts, journalism, sororities/fraternities, governance, and more. If you can’t find an activity to match your interest, our student life staff can assist you in creating one to meet your needs.
SRU is an active campus, with 17 NCAA Division II men’s and women’s sport teams such as basketball, soccer, tennis, and track & field for our most competitive students. There are also more than 30 club and intramural sports programs such as badminton, ice hockey, martial arts, soccer, and volleyball, as well as adventure activities allowing you to explore the outdoors, including kayaking, canoeing, hiking, camping, caving, and skiing.
An affordable education
Did you know that you can study at SRU for less than half the price of most private universities? All new undergraduate international students qualify for a reduced tuition rate upon admission and will be considered for scholarships. Students can also apply for on-campus employment. Additional scholarship funding is available for subsequent years, including scholarships reserved specifically for international students. Additionally, you will find a lower cost of living in Slippery Rock than at larger universities and more urban environments.
Begin the journey
Admission to Slippery Rock University is a rolling process; you can expect personal and timely updates on admission decisions throughout the year. Consideration for admission is selective and based on your academic record, school leaving exams, and English language proficiency. For some majors an audition or portfolio may be required. For August enrollment you should apply early in the preceding academic year and no later than May 1. For January enrollment the deadline is October 1. SAT/ACT results, an essay, and letters of recommendation are not required but are always welcome.
Current students and alumni from around the world repeatedly recommend SRU to their friends and family. They cite the relationships with faculty as the most significant aspect of their studies, one which prepares them well for employment or graduate school. Get started now and Experience the Difference at the ROCK! There is no application fee, so apply online today!
Located in western Pennsylvania, Slippery Rock is a small, welcoming college town. SRU is located 60 miles north of Pittsburgh, the second-largest city in the state. Many popular destinations are within an easy day’s drive, including Niagara Falls, New York City, Philadelphia, Toronto, and Washington, D.C.
Type of University: Public, coeducational comprehensive university offering undergraduate and graduate studies
Size of Campus: 600+ acres with 65 buildings and facilities blending traditional and modern architecture in the rolling countryside of western Pennsylvania
Number of Students: 8,495 undergraduate and graduate students
Number of Faculty: 353 full-time and 60 part-time faculty; 20:1 student-faculty ratio
Colleges, Programs, and Degrees:
• College of Business: Accounting, Business, Communication, Economics, Digital Media Production, Finance, Health Care Administration & Management, Information Systems, Journalism, Management, Marketing, Public Relations, Resort Recreation Management/Tourism, Safety Management, Sport Management, Sustainable Management
• College of Health, Environment & Science: Actuarial Science, Athletic Training, Biology, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Cytotechnology, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Exercise Science, Geography, Geology, Histotechnology, Information Technology, Mathematics, Medical Technology, Park & Resource Management, Pre-engineering, Physics, Psychology, Public Health, Social Work, Recreational Therapy
• College of Liberal Arts: Art, Asian Studies, Criminology and Criminal Justice, Dance, English, European Studies, French, History, Latin American Studies, Leadership Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, Music, Music Education, Music Performance, Music Therapy, Non-profit Leadership, Philosophy, Political Science, Spanish, Sociology, Theatre, Gender Studies
• College of Education: Adapted Physical Activity, Early Childhood Education, Physical and Health Education, Secondary Education, Special Education
• College of Business, Information, and Social Sciences: Master in Business Administration (M.B.A.)
• College of Health, Environment, and Science: Adapted Physical Activity (M.S.), Doctor of Physical Therapy
• College of Education: Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Educational Leadership, Special Education (Ed.D.), Student Affairs in Higher Education with College Counseling (M.A.)
New programs are under development for 2015–2016. Please check sru.edu/academics.
Geographic Diversity: Students from 41 states and 37 countries call SRU home.
International Student Services: International admission, orientation program, international student advising including immigration, international alumni program, and study abroad programs. Of special note are the Global Ambassador program, host family program, Internations Week & International Dinner, Internations Club, and full-time services of an International Student Advisor.
International Student Budget: 2015–2016
Orientation Fee $90
Room & Meals $9,794
Health Insurance $1,900
Books & Supplies $800
Personal Expenses $1,700
Provost Scholarship $1,500
Financial Aid: Upon admission, international undergraduate students are awarded the reduced out-of-state tuition rate (non-need based financial aid) and the Provost Scholarship ($1,500). Students must maintain a 2.5 GPA to retain the special out-of-state tuition rate and a 3.0 GPA for the Provost scholarship after the first year; both are subject to annual review. International students that earn a 3.5 GPA or better will receive both the Provost Scholarship ($1,500) and the Presidential Award ($500).
Test Score Requirements: TOEFL minimum 500 paper-based, 61 Internet-based for undergraduate students. SAT’s are recommended but not required for international student admission.
Application Deadlines and Fees: No application fee! Fall admission deadline May 1; spring admission deadline October 1