Eastern Connecticut State University is Connecticut’s only public liberal arts university. Located in Willimantic, Connecticut, it is a vibrant liberal arts school where innovators, explorers, and scholars thrive.
Our students take courses in a variety of disciplines, developing the depth and breadth of knowledge that make our alumni competitive for a wide range of employment opportunities. Eastern students love the small classes, close-knit community, and abundant resources at Eastern that support their academic endeavors.
Inside the classroom
Want to get to know your professors? We pride ourselves on offering small class sizes and individualized attention, so your professors will be both teachers and mentors.
• 38 majors and 55 minors
• Our interdisciplinary teaching approach fosters critical thinking and focuses on lifelong learning.
• Modern campus: in the past 17 years we’ve built 22 new buildings, including our Science Building and the Fine Arts Instructional Center, which opens in January 2016.
• Average class size: 23.7
• 95% of classes have fewer than 40 students.
• No teaching assistants or graduate assistants teach courses.
Beyond typical classes
Ninety-five percent of Eastern students complete an internship or research experience outside their time in the classroom.
• Study abroad: recently students have studied in Spain, Australia, Italy, Bahamas, England, and France.
• Global field courses: travel the world with Eastern faculty and apply your classroom learning.
• National Student Exchange: domestic study abroad program
• Internships (Deloitte LLP, ESPN, NBC Connecticut, Trip Advisor, Yale-New Haven Hospital)
• 700 on-campus jobs are available for students.
Whether it’s involvement in clubs, intramural sports, or NCAA athletics, you’ll find Eastern’s diverse campus will effortlessly become your home away from home.
• Residential campus: about 90% of freshmen and 60% of all students live on campus.
• More than 80 clubs and organizations to choose from
• Campus-wide programming, including events and trips on nights and weekends
• 17 Division III NCAA athletic teams with nine national titles
• 25+ club and intramural sports
• Eastern is located in the middle of everywhere! It is about halfway between Boston and New York City; 30 minutes east of Hartford, Connecticut; and one hour from Providence, Rhode Island.
Ninety percent of recent Eastern Connecticut State University bachelor’s degree recipients are employed or enrolled in graduate school within six months of graduation.
• Employment: Eastern graduates are employed at Connecticut Public Schools, ESPN, Edward Jones, MetLife, Pratt & Whitney, and Yale Health Center.
• Graduate schools: whether at Eastern or the Ivy League, our graduates complete advanced degrees all around the world!
• The Center for Internships and Career Development offers lifelong services to link students and alumni with employers.
• Ranked the 27th top public university in the North by U.S.News & World Report
• Rated one of the best colleges in the Northeast by The Princeton Review
• Named one of the nation’s top “Green Colleges” six years in a row by the U.S. Green Building Council
• A member of President Obama’s Community Service Honor Roll
• Elementary education program ranked #1 in New England and #8 in the United States by the National Council on Teacher Quality
• Founded: 1889
• Location: Willimantic, Connecticut
• Enrollment: 4,300 undergraduates
• Average Class Size: 23.7
• Student-Faculty Ratio: 16:1
Admitted Student Profile for Fall 2015
• Average GPA: 3.1
• SAT: 930–1100 (Critical Reading and Math only)
• ACT: 19–24
• 32% of enrolled students in the top 25% of their classes
We are also test optional!
Visit easternct.edu/admissions/test-optional for more information