At Simpson College we’re not afraid to take the lead.
It’s just one of the things that has set us apart since we were founded in 1860. You can see it in how our people think, create, innovate, and serve their local and global communities. It’s an attitude. A belief. A state of mind. It’s the Simpson Experience.
The academic experience
Simpson’s innovative curriculum is designed to deliver the hands-on learning opportunities necessary to develop the effective communicators, innovators, and problem solvers employers and graduate schools are looking for. It’s why we encourage students to study around the world and participate in internships. It’s learning brought to life.
• Our professors are experienced in and dedicated to their fields of study and are equally dedicated to teaching. With a student-faculty ratio of 13:1, they are acclaimed scholars who choose to be at Simpson because of the intimate setting.
• Our distinctive May Term—a three-week intensive course at the end of each academic year—will take you around the world studying biology in Madagascar, history in Rome, business in China, or any number of areas. Recent offerings have included trips to Australia, Costa Rica, Greece, Italy, Namibia, Spain, and the United Kingdom. Students may also choose to travel more extensively through one of six semester-long study abroad programs.
• Simpson’s internship program gives students a strategic advantage in a competitive job market or when pursuing graduate studies. Simpson students benefit from the convenience of plentiful internship opportunities in the Des Moines metro area.
Thriving student life
With more than 75 student clubs and organizations, students at Simpson find multiple opportunities to sharpen their leadership skills, develop current interests, or discover new ones. Simpson takes pride in offering an array of residential student housing options, including traditional residence halls, suite-style residence halls, on-campus apartments, and Greek residences.
• From nationally ranked athletic teams to widely acclaimed music and theatre programs to an award-winning newspaper, the opportunities for involvement and leadership are numerous and diverse. Nearly 90% of students participate in intramurals, student government, athletics, performing arts, or one of many student clubs and organizations.
• Simpson’s 19 varsity athletic programs compete for conference, regional, and NCAA Division III championships each year.
• Multicultural and international organizations highlight and support many cultures and offer programs and events throughout the year.
• Simpson’s Campus Activity Board (CAB) brings national and local acts to campus and sponsors free entertainment.
Simpson College is steeped in tradition but not bound by it. The beauty of our buildings and facilities is matched by our commitment to providing the technology and amenities of today.
• Kent Campus Center (completed in 2012) is a popular destination for students and includes Au Bon Pain café bakery, Red Mango smoothies, Tyler’s Grille, and a coffee shop featuring Starbucks products.
• A multimillion-dollar expansion of the Simpson Athletic Complex (completed in January 2014) provides a state-of-the-art fitness, wellness, and strength and conditioning facility.
• A renovation and expansion of Blank Performing Arts Center provides an exceptional fine arts facility, which includes the 125-seat Barnum Studio Theatre and the 500-seat Pote Theatre. Pote Theatre is also home to the Des Moines Metro Opera’s summer season.
Our location is one of Simpson’s most important assets and offers the best of both worlds: small-town charm only minutes from a major city.
• Indianola is a vibrant community of 14,400 residents 12 miles from Iowa’s capital and largest metropolitan city, Des Moines. Indianola is home to the National Balloon Classic, a major hot air ballooning event, and is also home to the Des Moines Metro Opera, an internationally acclaimed opera company based on the Simpson campus each summer.
• Recognized nationally as one of the top cities for young professionals, Des Moines offers world-class theatre and music venues, several semi-professional sports teams, artisan shopping, and ethnic food districts.
Investing in your future
Your education is one of the most important investments you will ever make. When you choose a college, you want assurance that it will result in your future success. Our alumni offer that proof. Many of our most accomplished graduates credit their time at Simpson for putting them on the path toward success. Simpson’s efforts to keep quality high and cost affordable are among the distinctions for which we are most proud. Simpson’s outstanding scholarship program includes numerous academic, special-interest, and fine arts awards.
Invitation to visit
There’s no better way to truly get a feel for what Simpson has to offer than by spending time on campus. You will appreciate the beauty of the campus, the friendliness of the people, and the quality of our strong liberal arts education. Students living more than 300 miles from campus may be eligible for our fly-in program. Schedule your visit online at simpson.edu/visit.
• Actuarial Science
• Applied Philosophy
- Graphic Design
- Studio Art
• Clinical Health Science
• Computer Information Systems
• Computer Science
• Criminal Justice
• Economics and Finance
- Elementary Education
- Secondary Education
• Environmental Science—Biology
• Exercise Science
• Forensic Science/Biochemistry
• Global Management
• Health Services Leadership
• Human Resources Management
• Interdisciplinary Studies
• International Relations
• Latin American Studies
• Multimedia Communications
- Multimedia Journalism
- Public Relations
• Music Education
• Music Performance
• Physical Education
• Political Science
• Pre-physical Therapy
• Pre-veterinary Medicine
• Social Work
• Sports Administration
• Theatre Arts
• Women’s Studies