James Cook University is surrounded by the spectacular ecosystems of the rainforests of the Tropics, the dry savannahs of the Australian Outback, and the iconic Great Barrier Reef. JCU’s unique position enables students to study in a location like no other.
At A Glance
• JCU is ranked in the top 2% of world universities by the Academic Ranking of World Universities 2018.
• 20:1 student-faculty ratio (Good Universities Guide 2018)
• JCU’s campuses are near the Great Barrier Reef and the rainforests of tropical Australia.
• JCU is ranked in the top 50 universities under 50 years old by the Times Higher Education “World University Rankings 2018.”
• JCU is consistently recognised for high levels of graduate success.
• JCU is ranked first in the world for Marine and Freshwater Biology and second for Biodiversity Conservation (CWUR 2017).
James Cook University works closely with employers and industry leaders to ensure graduates meet the demands of the global workforce. Popular programs include:
• Bachelor of Arts
- Majors include: Anthropology, Archaeology, Design & Creative Arts, English, French, German, History, Human Geography, Human Services, Italian, Japanese, Multimedia Journalism & Writing, Politics & International Relations, Psychology Studies, Sociology
• Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- Majors include: Medicinal & Pharmaceutical Sciences, Microbiology & Immunology, Molecular & Cell Biology, Physiology & Pharmacology
• Bachelor of Business
- Majors include: Accounting, Business & Society, Business Intelligence & Information Systems, Business Law, Corporate Environmental Management, Economics, Financial Management, Governance, Human Resources Management, International Business, Management, Marketing, Sports & Events Management
• Bachelor of Dental Surgery
• Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Majors include: Chemical, Civil, Electrical & Electronic, Electronic Systems & Internet of Things, Mechanical
• Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Majors include: Biodiversity Assessment & Management, Corporate Environmental Management, Land & Water Management, Urban Environments & Landscape Design
• Bachelor of Exercise Physiology
• Bachelor of Geology
• Bachelor of Information Technology
• Bachelor of Marine Science
• Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
• Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery
• Bachelor of Pharmacy
• Bachelor of Physiotherapy
• Bachelor of Science (Standard or Advanced)
- Majors include: Aquaculture, Chemistry, Data Science, Earth Science, Marine Biology, Mathematics, Molecular & Cell Biology, Physics, Science & Technology, Zoology & Ecology
James Cook University (JCU) is Australia’s leading University for the Tropics, ranked #1 in the world for Marine and Freshwater Biology, #2 in the world for Biodiversity Conservation (Center for World University Rankings 2017), and ranked in the top 2% of universities worldwide (Academic Ranking of World Universities 2018) and the top 50 universities under 50 years old (Times Higher Education “World University Rankings 2018”).
Surrounded by three spectacular ecosystems—the rainforests of the Tropics, the savannahs of the Australian Outback, and the iconic Great Barrier Reef—JCU’s unique position enables students to study in a location unlike any other.
JCU is located in the tropical cities of Townsville and Cairns in the state of Queensland in northeastern Australia. North Queens-land provides an ideal base to experience the best Australia has to offer, including a safe and supportive community atmosphere, a lower cost of living compared to larger cities, and a relaxed lifestyle.
With approximately 12,200 students on campus in Townsville and 4,000 students on campus in Cairns, including an 11% international student enrolment at both campuses, JCU offers a vibrant community culture that provides students with a welcoming, supportive environment during their studies.
In Australia, students are able to specialise in their major from their first year. This often enables completion of a bachelor’s degree in three years. James Cook University offers a comprehensive range of world-class, career-relevant degrees at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Short-term study options are also available, and practical, hands-on experience is a distinctive feature of many programs.
A practical focus
A practical approach to learning is central to study at JCU, and for the past seven years in a row, JCU has been awarded five stars for job success from the Good Universities Guide.
Students gain hands-on experience through internships, placements, and projects with industry, business, and government organisations. The University’s tropical location also offers unparalleled opportunities to experience unique field work, research stations, and state-of-the-art facilities.
A supportive environment
James Cook University strives to create an educational environment where students are supported to take full advantage of their university experience. The accessible teaching staff, friendly campuses, and support services (including student mentor and study skills programs) all ensure students have the environment to succeed.
The dedicated International Student Support team provide a range of services, from social activities, referrals, and arrival services to academic and personal support. This ensures a smooth start to study and support throughout a student’s time at JCU.
With more than 60 clubs and student societies, JCU offers plenty of opportunities to make friends, stay active, and have fun on campus. Clubs and societies range from the JCU International Student Association to various sporting and special-interest clubs, including the Dive Club, Townsville Ultimate Disc, Rugby Union, and Water Polo Clubs.
For those who want to experience campus life to its fullest, there are extensive on-campus accommodation options, with and without meal plans included. While there may be some shared facilities, all rooms are single occupancy. Private rental options, such as share housing with easy access to campus, are affordable and readily available in both cities.
James Cook University is registered as a provider to certify and administer US federal aid loan applications for new and continuing students. The school code is G12206. JCU also has scholarships available for high-achieving students.