Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey—Newark
Where opportunity meets excellence
Rutgers University–Newark (RU-N), an anchor educational institution in New Jersey’s largest city, is a leader in research and scholarship, fostering excellence at the intersection of academic and civic engagement. With an enrollment of more than 13,000 students from 119 countries, our undergraduate, graduate, professional, and joint-degree programs span more than 100 areas of study. RU-N champions people from all walks of life to succeed and lead in our learning community. Our students benefit from small class sizes, funded research opportunities, and inspiring internships with local businesses and Fortune 500 companies.
With undergraduate majors offered across the liberal arts, business, criminal justice, public service, technology, health professions, life sciences, and media arts, students have ample choices to pursue their academic interests. Our students work side-by-side with our award-winning faculty, putting theories and ideas to the test. Our graduates are prepared to steer social and economic change on a local and global scale. Transfer to RU-N and transform your future.
Leverage and celebrate diversity every day
Diversity enhances an exchange of innovation, ideas, learning, teaching, and community engagement—an everyday occurrence at RU-N, which has long been recognized as one of America’s most diverse universities. Our students and faculty represent an inclusive cultural environment that inspires academic scholarship, fields of study, local and global social justice, advocacy, and community well-being.
We leverage diversity to ignite imaginations, generate opinions, encourage civic dialogue, and empower world changemakers. We challenge our RU-N community to intentionally build upon our legacy as a place of opportunity for everyone. RU-N is a place where difference has a human face found in the many personal paths, passions, and possibilities that converge here. We invite you to join us in this intellectually and socially stimulating community that values diversity for everyone—every day!
Our community welcomes you
You’ll feel right at home on our diverse and welcoming campus. Whether you live on campus or commute here, there are plenty of ways to get involved and have fun as a student at RU-N. Plus, New York City is just a 20-minute train ride away. As a RU-N student, you’re not only part of an active student community but part of one of America’s largest urban college towns.
Our community welcomes you
You’ll feel right at home on our diverse and welcoming campus. Whether you live on campus or commute here, there are plenty of ways to get involved and have fun as a student at RU-N. Plus, New York City is just a 20-minute train ride away. As an RU-N student, you’re part of not only an active student community but one of America’s largest urban college towns.
Rutgers University–Newark channels the global citizen in you to learn and make a difference through cultural exploration. RU-N’s commitment to academic excellence allows students to benefit from study abroad programs that support a variety of interests and provide key experiential and service learning opportunities. We understand students are active members of the global community and seek out ways to explore the world, make lasting memories, try new things, and have fun. Our RU-N faculty design an educational adventure students remember for the rest of their lives. We encourage aspiring CEOs, doctors, lawyers, artists, activists, scientists, educators, and all students to maximize their undergraduate experience and take us up on this once-in-a-lifetime educational journey.
Named the #1 "Most Diverse National University" for 20 years | U.S. News & World Report
Ranked #2 among schools with the "Most Diverse College Environment" | Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education College Rankings, 2022
Veteran Affairs program ranked #2 among "Best for Vets" schools in the United States
Rutgers University–Newark makes the transfer process easy with Transfer Instant Decision Days, ongoing advisory support, transcript evaluations, an easy registration process, scholarships and financial aid options, and career development support.
Transfer Student Resources
• Admissions Office
• NJ Transfer
• Free Application for Federal Student Aid
• Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
Transfer Student Application Requirements
• Online application at admissions.rutgers.edu/apply
• Non-refundable $70 application fee
• Official transcript from all previously attended colleges
• Successful completion of two college levels of English Composition
• Successful completion of one college level of Math
• Official final high school transcript if transferring with fewer than 24 college credits
• Official GED results (if applicable)
Test Score Requirements
Rutgers–Newark does not require the submission of SAT or ACT standardized test scores for students applying in 2022 and beyond. Please view the exceptions to this policy at admissions.rutgers.edu/testoptional-faqs.
Transfer Student Scholarships
• The Honors Living-Learning Community (HLLC) program is a hub for excellence in education to attract students with a passion and purpose for social justice, humanities, STEM, and much more. There are amazing academic benefits, mentorship, service learning, and a last-dollar scholarship support covering room and board for HLLC Scholars. Rutgers-Newark has also built a new HLLC residence hall on campus with many living and learning features for the program's student scholars.
• The RU-N to the TOP financial aid program solidifies our strategic plan and commitments to boundary-crossing scholarship, diverse talent cultivation, and engagement as an anchor institution. The RU-N to the TOP program enables us to build upon these commitments and attract first-year students who are residents of Newark and Greater Newark, and transfer students from all of New Jersey’s community colleges. With a program expansion in fall 2022, RU-N to the TOP will serve newly admitted undergraduate students from Orange, East Orange, and Irvington, New Jersey. The program provides a “last-dollar” financial aid award that covers the cost of in-state tuition and mandatory fees. The award is offered after all federal, state, institutional, internal/external scholarships and grants have been applied.
• The Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship was created for students who are attending a New Jersey community college and are members of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society. Visit ptk.org for more information.
• Rutgers University–Newark founded in 1908
• Named among America’s most diverse universities for the past 20 years
• 100,000+ RU-N alumni network
Undergraduate Colleges & Schools
• Rutgers Business School–Newark
• School of Arts & Sciences–Newark
• School of Criminal Justice
• School of Public Affairs & Administration
• University College–Newark
• Leadership: Chancellor Nancy Cantor
• Carnegie Classification: Research university
• Honors College and Living Learning Community
• 65+ undergraduate majors
• 50+ graduate programs (JD, MA, MBA, MFA, MPA, MS, PhD)
• 13:1 student-faculty ratio
• 585+ faculty holding a PhD
• 44+ research centers and institutes
• 160+ study abroad programs
• Recognized among colleges with best return on investment
• 36% first in family to attend college
• 100+ student clubs and organizations
• 14 NCAA Division III sports
• Selected as a Yellow Ribbon institution
• 6 campus dormitories
• 12+ learning communities and special-interest housing options
• Barnes & Noble Rutgers-Newark Bookstore
• Express Newark, new interdisciplinary learning space for students and the community
• Rutgers Day
• Cultural Events like Halsey Festival
• Community Engagement Week
• Research Week
• Marion Thomas Wright Series