Where opportunity meets excellence
Application Requirements for First-Year Students
• Online application: admissions.rutgers.edu/apply
• $70 application fee
• Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) for first-year students
• Official SAT or ACT scores
Financial Aid Resources
• Office of Financial Aid: financialaid.rutgers.edu
• Financial TV: rutgers.financialaidtv.com
• Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): fafsa.ed.gov
• Campus Virtual Tour: newark.rutgers.edu/virtual-tour
• Create an InfoPacket:infopacket.admissions.rutgers.edu
First-Year Student Checklist
• Visit us for a campus tour and attend our fall Open House.
• Apply for admission and submit required documents at admissions.rutgers.edu/apply.
• Apply for financial aid atfafsa.ed.gov.
• Upon admission, accept your offer and submit the enrollment fee at admissions.rutgers.edu/status.
• Collect all the green checks in your customized Enrollment Pathway at admissions.rutgers.edu/pathway.
• Submit your housing application at housing.newark.rutgers.edu/housing-applications.
• Attend New Student Orientation: become a part of the RU-N family!
• African-American and African Studies
• Applied Ethics
• Art: Fine Arts, Graphic Design, History
• Biology: Cell and Molecular, Ecology and Evolution, Neurobiology and Plant Science
• Computer Science
• Criminal Justice
• Earth and Environmental Science
• Finance: Financial Management
• Finance: Financial Planning
• Geoscience Engineering
• Information Systems
• Journalism and Media Studies
• Management Information Systems
• Mathematics, Applied
• Neuroscience and Behavior
• Physics, Applied
• Political Science
• Portuguese and Lusophone World Studies
• Public and Nonprofit Administration
• Social Work
• Supply Chain Management
• Theater: Performance and Technical
• Video Production
• Visual Arts: Fine Arts and Graphic Design
• Women and Gender Studies
• Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- Medical Lab Science
• Health Information Management
• Health Sciences
- Health Advocacy
• Medical Imaging Sciences
- Cardiac Sonography
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Nuclear Medicine
- Vascular Sonography
• Psychiatric Rehabilitation and Psychology
• Post-baccalaureate: Pre-health
• Rutgers University–Newark founded in 1908
• Among America’s most diverse universities for the past 20 years
• 100,000+ RU-N alumni network
Undergraduate Colleges and Schools
• Newark College of Arts and Sciences
• Rutgers Business School—Newark
• School of Criminal Justice
• School of Public Affairs and Administration
• University College—Newark
• Leadership: Chancellor Nancy Cantor
• Carnegie Classification: Research Universities
• Offers the Honors Living-Learning Community
• Offers the Honors College
• 13:1 student-faculty ratio
• 585+ faculty holding a PhD
• 65+ undergraduate majors
• 50+ graduate programs (JD, MA, MBA, MFA, MPA, MS, PhD)
• 14+ accelerated degree programs
• 43+ research centers and institutes
• 160+ study abroad programs
• Recognized among colleges with best return on investment
• Over 80% of RU-N students received financial aid in 2017.
• 100+ student clubs and organizations
• 16 NCAA Division III sports
• #2 “Best for Vets” in the US
• 12+ learning communities and special-interest housing options
The Honors Living-Learning Community (HLLC) is a transformative college access and success program that fosters the academic, social, and personal development of talented first-year and transfer students with a desire to make a difference in their communities and beyond. HLLC offers a residential scholarship that covers room and board.
To learn more, visit hllc.newark.rutgers.edu.
The Rutgers University–Newark Talent and Opportunity Pathways program (RU-N to the TOP) is a financial aid program that provides a “last-dollar” scholarship covering the cost of in-state tuition and mandatory school fees after all federal, state, and internal/external scholarships and grants have been applied. For more details and eligibility requirements, visit admissions.newark.rutgers.edu/paying-for-college/ru-n-top.
Rutgers University–Newark (RU-N), an anchor educational institution in and of New Jersey’s largest city, is a leader in research and scholarship, fostering excellence at the intersection of academic and civic engagement. With an enrollment of more than 12,800 students, its undergraduate, graduate, professional, and joint-degree programs span more than 100 areas of study within seven schools and colleges. RU-N encourages people from all walks of life to succeed and lead in our learning community. Our students benefit from small class sizes, funded research opportunities, and inspiring internships with local businesses and Fortune 500 companies.
With undergraduate majors offered across liberal arts, business, criminal justice, public service, technology, health professions, life sciences, and media arts, students have ample choice to pursue their academic interests. Our students work side by side with our award-winning faculty putting theories and ideas to the test. Our graduates are prepared to steer social and economic change on a local and global scale.
Leverage and celebrate diversity every day
Diversity enhances an exchange of ideas, innovation, learning, teaching, and community engagement—an everyday occurrence at RU-N, which has long been recognized as one of America’s most diverse universities. Our students and faculty represent an inclusive cultural environment that inspires academic scholarship, fields of study, local and global social justice, advocacy, and community well-being.
We leverage diversity to ignite imaginations, generate opinions, encourage civic dialogue, and empower world change makers. We challenge our RU-N community to intentionally build upon our legacy as a place of opportunity for everyone. RU-N is a place where difference has a human face found in the many personal paths, passions, and possibilities that converge here. We invite you to join us in this intellectually and socially stimulating community that values diversity for everyone—every day!
Our community welcomes you
You will feel right at home on our diverse campus in New Jersey’s largest city. Whether you live on campus or commute here, there are plenty of ways to get involved and have fun as a student at RU-N. Plus, New York City is just a 20-minute train ride away. As an RU-N student, you’re not only part of an active student community, but you’re also part of one of America’s largest urban college towns.