Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey—Newark
Where opportunity meets excellence
Rutgers University–Newark (RU-N), an anchor educational institution in and of New Jersey’s largest city, is a leader in research and scholarship, fostering excellence at the intersection of academics and civic engagement.
With an enrollment of more than 13,000+ students, its undergraduate, graduate, professional, and joint-degree programs span more than 100 areas of study within seven schools and colleges. RU-N encourages people from all walks of life to succeed and lead in our learning community. Our students benefit from small class sizes, funded research opportunities, and inspiring internships with local businesses and Fortune 500 companies.
Through undergraduate majors offered across liberal arts, business, criminal justice, public service, technology, health professions, life sciences, and media arts, students have ample choice to pursue their academic interests. Our students work side-by-side with our award-winning faculty putting theories and ideas to the test. Our graduates are prepared to steer social and economic change on a local and global scale.
Leverage and celebrate diversity every day
Diversity enhances an exchange of ideas, innovation, learning, teaching, and community engagement—an everyday occurrence at RU-N, which has long been recognized as one of America’s most diverse universities. Our students and faculty represent an inclusive cultural environment that inspires academic scholarship, fields of study, local and global social justice, advocacy, and community well-being.
We leverage diversity to ignite imaginations, generate opinions, encourage civic dialogue, and empower world changemakers. We challenge the RU-N community to intentionally build upon our legacy as a place of opportunity for everyone. RU-N is a place where difference has a human face found in the many personal paths, passions, and possibilities that converge here. We invite you to join us in this intellectually and socially stimulating community that values diversity for everyone—every day!
Our community welcomes you
You will feel right at home on our diverse campus in New Jersey’s largest city. Whether you live on campus or commute here, there are plenty of ways to get involved and have fun as a student at RU-N. Plus, New York City is just a 20-minute train ride away. As an RU-N student, you’re not only part of an active student community, but you’re also part of one of America’s largest urban college towns.
The Honors Living-Learning Community (HLLC) program is a hub for excellence in education to attract students with a passion and purpose in social justice, humanities, STEM and much more. There are amazing academic program benefits, mentorship, service learning, and a last dollar scholarship support covering room and board for HLLC Scholars. Rutgers-Newark has built a new HLLC residence hall on campus with many living and learning features for the program's student scholars.
The RU-N to the TOP financial aid program launched in fall 2016 for newly admitted undergraduate students from Newark, NJ. This program solidifies our strategic plan and commitments to boundary-crossing scholarship, diverse talent cultivation, and engagement as an anchor institution. The RU-N to the TOP program enables us to build upon these commitments and attract first-year students that are residents of Newark and Greater Newark, and transfer students from all of New Jersey’s community colleges. With a program expansion in fall 2022, RU-N to the TOP will serve newly admitted undergraduate students from Orange, East Orange, and Irvington, New Jersey towns.
The RU-N to the TOP program provides a “last-dollar” financial aid award that covers the cost of in-state tuition and mandatory fees. The award is offered after all federal, state, institutional, internal/external scholarships and grants have been applied. Students must meet the program’s eligibility requirements.
Named #1 Most Diverse National University for 20 years | U.S. News & World Report
#2 Most Diverse College Environment | Wall Street Journal College Rankings 2022 Best
#2 Best for Vets in the United States
Application Requirements for First-Year Students
• Online application: admissions.rutgers.edu/apply
• $70 application fee
• Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) for first-year students
• Official SAT or ACT scores
Financial Aid Resources
• Office of Financial Aid: financialaid.rutgers.edu
• Financial TV: rutgers.financialaidtv.com
• Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
• Campus Virtual Tour: youvisit.com/tour/rutgersnewark
• Rutgers University–Newark founded in 1908
• Among America’s most diverse universities for the past 20 years
• 100,000+ RU-N alumni network
Undergraduate Colleges and Schools
• Rutgers Business School—Newark
• School of Arts and Sciences—Newark
• School of Criminal Justice
• School of Public Affairs and Administration
• University College—Newark
• Leadership: Chancellor Nancy Cantor
• Carnegie classification: Research Universities
• Offers the Honors Living-Learning Community and Honors College
• 13:1 student-faculty ratio
• 585+ faculty holding a PhD
• 65+ undergraduate majors
• 50+ graduate programs (JD, MA, MBA, MFA, MPA, MS, PhD)
• 14+ accelerated degree programs
• 44+ research centers and institutes
• 160+ study abroad programs
• Recognized among colleges as a best return on investment
• Over 81% of RU-N students receiving financial aid in 2017
• 36% first in family to attend college
• 100+ student clubs and organizations
• 14 NCAA Division III sports
• 12+ learning communities and special-interest housing options
• Veteran Affairs program voted #2 “Best For Vets” in the US among four-year universities
• Selected as a Yellow Ribbon institution
• 6 Campus Dormitories
• Offers a variety of campus living learning communities and special interest housing
• Barnes & Noble Rutgers-Newark Bookstore
• Express Newark: New interdisciplinary learning space for students and the community