WP helps you turn "I want" into "I will."
At William Paterson University, we know our students come to us with inspiration, perseverance, and grit. We already know you’ve got Will. Power. That’s the little something extra that makes William Paterson students special. That’s why we match your determination with outstanding academic programs and the tools and support to help you reach your full potential.
A leading public University with nearly 10,000 students, William Paterson offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs through its four academic schools: College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Cotsakos College of Business; College of Education; and College of Science and Health.
The University offers a vast array of learning opportunities in our classrooms, laboratories, and studios as well as throughout campus and at various off-campus locations. William Paterson’s faculty members provide a valuable blend of accomplished scholarship and practical, applied experience. Among the University’s faculty are many Fulbright scholars and recipients of numerous other awards, grants, and fellowships. Students benefit from individualized attention from faculty mentors, small class sizes, and numerous research, internship, and clinical experiences. Our innovative Will. Power. 101 first-year experience program guides new students in transitioning to college life. We also offer a full range of academic and student support services to help you succeed. Together, we’ll do this.
Academic programs and degrees
William Paterson University offers nearly 150 bachelor's and master’s degrees as well as certificate programs in a wide range of disciplines. There are also pre-professional programs in law, medicine (dentistry, optometry, podiatry, and veterinary science), physical therapy, and physician assistant. The University partners with Mercer County Community College also offer several bachelor’s degrees for Mercer graduates on the college’s West Windsor campus. Through its WP Online platform, the University offers more than two dozen fully online undergraduate and graduate degree programs, as well as a wide array of certificate programs.
On William Paterson University’s scenic Wayne campus, you'll share an active college experience with students from every background and perspective. We have more than 100 clubs and organizations, 28 fraternities and sororities, 13 NCAA Division III athletic teams, and 31 club sports and intramural activities—so there's always something exciting going on. Our beautiful residence halls provide safe and comfortable environments for studying and participating in activities, making it easy to stay connected to everything happening on campus. You'll build professional connections and lifelong friendships with your fellow Pioneers.
William Paterson is the third most diverse public university in New Jersey, and 45% of our students are the first in their families to attend university. The University is designated as a Minority-Serving and Hispanic-Serving Institution. Nearly 30% of students claim Hispanic heritage.
William Paterson University’s state-of-the-art facilities are designed to support the institution’s focus on experiential learning and provide students with preparation for careers and graduate study. Examples include:
• University Hall, an 80,000-square-foot academic building partially funded with $30 million from the “Building Our Future” Bond Act, which provides general-use classrooms and dedicated laboratories and clinical spaces for programs in nursing, communication disorders, and public health
• Science Complex, an interactive learning environment with nearly 100 research labs and 50 teaching labs, many of which can be configured in multiple ways to enhance faculty and student collaboration
• HD-ready TV and radio broadcast studios; music recording and audio production facilities
• Film, animation, and graphic design labs; large-scale robot system for 3D sculpting
• Russ Berrie Professional Sales Laboratory, a unique computerized multimedia facility that simulates business office environments, and the Financial Learning Center, a simulated trading room