AT A GLANCE
History: Founded in 1913
Enrollment: More than 53,000 undergraduate and graduate students representing all 50 states and more than 150 countries
• More than 250 undergraduate and graduate degree programs in over 100 fields of study offered through 11 colleges and schools at the Atlanta campus
• More than 30 associate degree pathways offered at five metro Atlanta Perimeter College campuses
• More than 9,500 degrees conferred each year
Location: A 71-acre urban campus seamlessly integrated into the historic, cultural, and financial hub of downtown, plus five community campuses spread throughout the metropolitan region
• #1 public university for “Best Undergraduate Teaching” in the United States (U.S. News & World Report, 2020)
• #2 “Most Innovative University” in the nation (U.S. News & World Report, 2020)
• #5 best university for “First-Year Experiences” in the nation (U.S. News & World Report, 2020)
• #8 top performer for “Social Mobility” in the United States (U.S. News & World Report, 2020)
• #11 “Best Value Law School” in the country (National Jurist, 2019)
• $2.6 billion annual economic impact on metro Atlanta (Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia, 2019)
• 148% increase in research expenditures since 2010
Student-Faculty Ratio: 25:1
Study Abroad: 75 faculty-led study abroad programs and exchanges in 34 countries
• More than 400 student organizations covering a variety of interests and specialties, including leadership, activism, arts, politics, academics, religion, recreation, and more
• 31 sororities and fraternities
• 16 NCAA Division I varsity sports teams competing in the Sun Belt Conference
Freshman Profile (based on the middle 50% of the fall 2019 admitted class):
• 3.3–3.8 high school core GPA
• 1070–1260 SAT (combined)
• 21–28 ACT (composite)
Honors College Freshman Profile (based on the fall 2019 admitted class):
• 3.88 high school core GPA
• 1420 SAT (combined)
• 31 ACT (composite)
Tuition and Fees (for 15 credit hours per semester, based on 2019–2020 rates):
• $4,474 in-state tuition
• $13,993 out-of-state tuition
• $1,064 student fees
• $1,000 estimated books and supplies
Ranked as the #2 “Most Innovative University” in the country, Georgia State University is on the move and on the rise. Few institutions have come so far, so fast. We’ve proven that students from all backgrounds can succeed at the same level. We have one of the fastest-growing research profiles in the country. We are changing the way our students learn—helping them graduate faster, be more productive, and save millions on the way to their degrees. It’s no wonder the Washington Post called us a “hotbed of growth and innovation.” We’re doing it #thestateway.
Here’s how we set ourselves apart:
We’ve proven that students from all backgrounds can succeed at the same level. Over 15 years, we’ve increased our graduation rate by 23 percentage points, we’re graduating 3,000 more undergraduates annually than we did in 2010, and we’ve reduced the time to a degree by half a semester, saving students a total of $16 million a year. And we’ve eliminated achievement gaps based on race, ethnicity, or income.
Our faculty of scholars are changing the ways people see the world. We became an official research university in 1996. Just two decades later, the Carnegie Foundation listed us alongside the nation’s most elite and fastest-growing research institutions. Since 2010, our research expenditures have increased by 148%.
We’re a driver of growth and development in Atlanta and across the state. Our annual economic impact on the region tops $2.6 billion. We’ve built a modern campus through our adaptive reuse of vacated high-rises and office buildings, and our construction of new buildings is the foundation for the steep trajectory we find ourselves on today.
We’re using adaptive learning software to track how students are doing in real time. As students tackle new concepts in class, our software automatically recommends more activities or assignments if they fall behind. We know our students like to work collaboratively, so we have reshaped many of our classrooms into group learning and lab spaces.
Unique Programs at Georgia State
• Georgia State’s Creative Media Industries Institute (CMII) is training a workforce, fostering research, and incubating companies for Georgia’s growing $9.5 billion entertainment industry. Offering programs in Media Production, Graphic and Sound Design, Music Management, Digital Publishing, and more, CMII opened a new ultramodern facility in October 2017. It features advanced studios and production suites for animation, motion capture, 360-degree cameras, 3D rendering, virtual sets, virtual and augmented reality, and more. Designed to prepare students for careers that transcend traditional degree programs, CMII is reinventing the classroom. The institute doesn’t just teach students to be the best media producers—it directly connects students and faculty with Atlanta’s booming film, music, and video game industries and creates new avenues to untold possibilities, futures, and careers few other universities can offer.
• Georgia State is the largest institution to compete in the National Association of Collegiate Esports (NACE), the nation’s only association for varsity eSports programs at the college level. To make a Georgia State eSports team, student gamers must pass muster at tryouts and maintain a 3.0 or higher GPA. Those who succeed receive a $3,000 scholarship and are given opportunities to develop skills in broadcasting, media production, marketing, and management.
• A national leader for student success, Georgia State has pioneered the use of predictive analytics for academic performance and proactive advising interventions to:
- Raise graduation rates by 23 percentage points over 15 years—the most dramatic increase of any national university
- Reduce the time to a degree by almost half a semester
- Award more than 15,600 Panther Retention Grants, helping students with unmet financial need to stay enrolled
- Save students more than $16 million total per year in tuition and fees by helping them avoid unnecessary classes and graduate faster