University of Portland
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
A culture of kindness is more than opening doors for others—it’s opening your mind.
We see the University of Portland community as a place where diversity, equity, and inclusivity are paramount. That translates into continually striving to create an environment where everyone—in-state, out-of-state, international, BIPOC, first-generation, mixed-raced, LGBTQ2SIA+, and all historically underrepresented populations—is part of our fabric. You’ll be encouraged to have open and honest conversations. To talk through differences and commonalities. To listen. To question. And to reflect on your own actions and story.
At UP, being welcomed goes far beyond the first day. UP Connections is a great place for students to start connecting with others from a wide range of backgrounds. UP Bridge is a pre-orientation program that connects you with others from a wide range of backgrounds. Throughout the year, UP Bridge partners with First-Generation, International Student Services, Study Abroad, and other offices on campus to provide connections, resources, and tools for incoming students.
Make your voice heard by becoming a student coordinator for Diversity Dialogues, which helps bring an array of speakers and events to campus that represent different points of view and cultures. Or connect with our first-generation peer mentors in the Shepard Academic Resource Center, who can provide resources and recommendations. We believe inclusivity should be a way of life.
#1 College in Oregon for Value | Money Magazine
#1 in Regional Universities West | U.S. News & World Report
#8 in Best Value Schools | U.S. News & World Report
• Black Student Union
• Chinese Student Association
• Filipino American Student Association
• Gender & Sexuality Partnership
• Hawai'i Club
• International Club
• Japanese Student Association
• Jewish Student Union
• Korean Student Association
• La Mesa Redonda
• Latinx Student Union
• Mixed Student Union
• Multilingual Club of the University of Portland
• Native American Alliance
• Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers
• Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
• Society of Women Engineers
• South Asian Student Union
• Vietnamese Student Association
• Women of Color
• 3,565 undergraduate population
• 46.9% of undergraduates self-identifying as historically underrepresented based on race and ethnicity and 24% as first-generation
• 11:1 student-faculty ratio
• Over 99% of full-time undergraduates receiving some type of aid
"UP is a great place to pursue anything you’re interested in. Whatever you’re passionate about, there are people around and tons of resources to help you pursue it."