Our dynamic and diverse community of scholars and students work together on hands-on, real-world projects that merge experience and academia. As one of the nation’s top-ranked Tier 1 research institutions, CU Boulder offers more than 190 graduate programs across seven colleges and schools.
• 50+ years of collaboration with local federal research labs and industry partners
• Top 15 public university for Entrepreneurship (U.S. News & World Report, 2019)
• One of only 34 public research universities in the Association of American Universities
• 4,200+ academic and research faculty
College of Arts and Sciences
The College of Arts and Sciences thrives as the intellectual core of the University, conducting research, scholarship, creative work, and education in more than 45 graduate-level academic fields spanning the natural sciences, social sciences, and arts and humanities. Our goal is to enable all our students to use their independent minds to have a collective impact.
• Five Nobel Laureates
• 25 members in the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
• Nine MacArthur Genius Grant winners
• Four National Medal of Science winners
College of Engineering and Applied Science
The students and faculty in our highly ranked College of Engineering and Applied Science advance the field of engineering by developing solutions that drive the economy, security, and quality of life of our state and nation. With a strong emphasis on innovation and entrepreneurship, our College prepares students to take leadership positions, start businesses, and design solutions to global problems. Our cutting-edge programs ensure space for graduate students to develop a healthy work-life balance, enjoying all that Boulder has to offer.
• Top 20 public university for Engineering (U.S. News & World Report, 2019)
• 15+ local federal labs in partnership with CU Boulder
• 20 National Academy of Engineering members
• $97 million in research awards for the 2018 fiscal year
College of Media, Communication, and Information
CMCI offers forward-thinking programs that equip students with the knowledge, skills, and experience necessary to impact the ways we communicate and to do so as dynamic and innovative communicators. Our programs explore how to communicate and tell stories through data, words, strategy, and evolving forms of media. Each degree prepares students to be leaders in our ever-changing information society.
• Six master’s degrees, seven doctoral degrees, and two graduate certificates
• Largest collection of functioning media from the early 20th century through the 21st century in North America
College of Music
We’re dedicated to inspiring the highest levels of artistic pursuit and scholarly discovery in the academic landscape through the power of music. Be part of a community that’s building a brighter future for music in the coming century while ensuring students achieve musical success. We’re more than just Music; programs include Music and Composition, Performance, Technology, and Entrepreneurship.
• 30+ faculty and alumni with Grammy nominations
• 400+ musical events presented to the public each year
• 100% job placement for Music Education graduates
• Home to the first-ever university-level US music entrepreneurship center
Our supportive and diverse scholarly community inspires the pursuit of ideas, critical analysis, contemplation, and civic engagement. Join a top-tier law school that provides a comprehensive education, unique opportunities for hands-on learning, a strong public service tradition, compelling opportunities for specialization and global interdisciplinary engagement, and an outstanding and dedicated faculty.
• #5 Environmental Law grad program (U.S. News & World Report, 2019)
• Over 94% of students working summer legal jobs in 2018
• 8,253 hours of public service work volunteered by the Class of 2018
• 40+ annual conferences, roundtables, and events
Leeds School of Business
Join our community of innovative, principled business leaders and gain the analytical skills needed to succeed in a globally competitive marketplace. Leeds is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International), representing the highest standard of accreditation for business schools worldwide.
• Top 25 public graduate business school (U.S. News & World Report, 2019)
• Top 10 business school for Entrepreneurship in the United States (Bloomberg Businessweek, 2018)
• #14 public university for Entrepreneurship (U.S. News & World Report, 2019)
• Top 30 public full-time MBA program in the United States (Bloomberg Businessweek, 2018)
School of Education
Transform communities and lives through leadership. At the School of Education, we are devoted to creating a community of thought leaders and engaged educators, researchers, and policymakers who make a positive impact on education and our surrounding communities. Be part of a community that values democracy, diversity, equity, and justice.
• Top 30 education school for graduate students (U.S. News & World Report, 2018)
• Top 15 US graduate school in Education Policy (U.S. News & World Report, 2020)
• #1 graduate Education program inColorado (U.S. News & World Report, 2020)
Research and creative work
Research at CU Boulder encompasses thousands of scholarly, scientific, and creative endeavors at any given time, resulting in new knowledge, technologies, and creative work that advance the economy, culture, and health of Colorado, the nation, and the world.
• #1 public university recipient of NASA research
• 650 faculty and students involved in interdisciplinary bioscience research
• Top 3% worldwide for scholarly research citations
• 12 research institutes and 75 research centers
Located at the very base of the Rocky Mountains, Boulder is a leading force in research, technology, and innovation. CU Boulder is in the heart of the city and produces some of the best and brightest in these fields. Our talented faculty, students, and alumni lead the way for the next generation by inspiring inventive, humanitarian, and social enterprises across Colorado and the United States and around the world.
• #1 smartest city in America (Bloomberg, 2017)
• Top 10 best places for tech opportunities (NerdWallet, 2017)
• #1 metro in the United States for female entrepreneurship (Version 2.0 Communications, 2017)
• 103 new companies founded based on technologies developed at CU Boulder since 1994