Founded and sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, Georgian Court University is located in Lakewood, New Jersey
Set on a magnificent 156-acre estate formerly belonging to financier George Jay Gould, the campus is situated 60 miles from both New York and Philadelphia and only 10 miles from the Jersey Shore. GCU’s campus is a National Historic Landmark with beautiful statuary, architecture, and gardens. After a long history as a women’s college with coeducational graduate and undergraduate evening programs, Georgian Court became fully coeducational in 2013.
Georgian Court provides a comprehensive liberal arts education in the Roman Catholic tradition while maintaining its special, historic focus on the education of women. The University offers a curriculum that’s broad enough to be truly liberal yet specialized enough to provide in-depth preparation for careers or further study.
Mercy core values
GCU is committed to the Mercy core values of respect, integrity, justice, compassion, and service.
• Respect: We hold reverence for the dignity of all persons and life as gifts of God and strive to promote community in our world.
• Integrity: We believe that fidelity to moral principles, honesty, and sincerity are the basis of trustworthiness in all encounters.
• Justice: We believe ordering of right relationships with all persons and creation is fundamental to our advocacy for structures that protect the vulnerable.
• Compassion: We embrace the joys and sorrows of others to whom and with whom we minister and are moved to action in solidarity with the human community.
• Service: We joyfully extend our energy and resources on behalf of the poor, sick, and uneducated, working to relieve misery and address its causes where possible.
These values are the roots from which Georgian Court University activities, decisions, and behaviors flow.
Open to students of all faiths
The Georgian Court atmosphere is one of small-college ambiance in an esteemed university setting. The University offers a nurturing campus environment with individualized attention and guidance centered around our mission and the Mercy core values. GCU is keenly focused on students—inside and beyond the classroom—and seeks to deliver an exceptional education in more than 35 undergraduate degree, 10 graduate degree, and a variety of certificate and certification programs.
GCU faculty are experts in their industries—97% of full-time faculty hold doctoral or terminal degrees in their field—and are committed to teaching and individual mentoring. Ultimately, GCU graduates draw on their degrees and unique experiences to create a more just and compassionate world.
The Office of Campus Ministry supports the spiritual growth of all members of the GCU community. Campus Ministry offers a wide range of programs and events to nurture spirituality, deepen a sense of vocation, and embody mercy. The office works hard to identify and address the needs of the campus community as well as those of Lakewood and beyond by partnering with organizations like Providence House, Interfaith Hospitality, and Catholic Charities.
Popular campus events include the Blessing of the Animals—where in the spirit of the Feast Day of St. Francis of Assisi, the campus community and friends of the University bring their furry, scaled, and feathered friends to campus to be blessed by the chaplain—and the Christmas Tree Lighting and Blessing, in which the Georgian Court community comes together to bless our Christmas tree during a celebration with entertainment, prayer, and carols.