With a 160-year tradition of excellence in higher education, Kean University recognizes how important credit transfer is to student success, and our faculty advisors are dedicated to ensuring your transition to Kean is as easy as possible. Kean offers more than 50 undergraduate degrees and 70+ graduate study options. The University’s wide range of academic programs allows transfer students many options as they find their path in life.
Student and campus life
Transfer students fit right in at Kean, where almost four out of every 10 students are transfers. Life is a vibrant mix of academic, social, and cultural activities—students get involved on and off campus with access to résumé-building internships regionally and in Manhattan. With more than 160 cultural clubs, student organizations, and honor societies, Kean offers transfer students a wealth of opportunities to get involved.
The University has three conveniently located campuses throughout New Jersey and offers several degree options 100% online, making it easier than ever to earn a four-year degree. Kean is also the only American public university to operate a fully English-speaking campus in China, allowing students the opportunity to have a global education by studying abroad.
• Kean’s main campus: Located in Union, New Jersey, our main campus is just 30 minutes from New York City and has a long history of offering a quality, affordable, comprehensive, hands-on education that sets graduates up for success in a global market.
• Kean Ocean: Located on the campus of Ocean County College in Toms River Kean Ocean provides seamless transfer and degree completion options for community college students with 60 credits or more.
• Kean Skylands: Our new location in Jefferson Township is a degree completion campus designed with transfer students in mind. Kean’s world-class faculty are committed to helping community college graduates make a smooth transition to earning their bachelor’s degree in Biology, Criminal Justice, Management, or Psychology. At this remote campus, we encourage interdisciplinary learning among all programs, using nature as a uniting element. Many classes are held outdoors, giving Biology students endless opportunities to conduct research in nature’s laboratory.
• Kean Online: Our online program was designed so students can earn a four-year degree anytime, anywhere. The same credentialed faculty teach Kean’s online courses, and instructors are available to meet with students should the need or desire arise. Programs are offered 100% online for undergraduate transfer students in Accounting, Biology, Criminal Justice, Management, Nursing, and Psychology.
For the last five years, Kean University has been recognized on Phi Theta Kappa’s Transfer Honor Roll as one of the most transfer-friendly universities in the nation! It‘s our mission to create a seamless transfer experience. Kean partners with community colleges statewide to ease the credit transfer process and ensure student success. Articulation agreements allow students to begin their coursework at the community-college level while—at the same time—being provisionally accepted with full junior status to Kean.
Financing your education
Earning a college degree is an investment in your future. Kean is the most affordable comprehensive university in the state, and students graduate with less debt than the national average. With Kean’s transfer-exclusive scholarships and aid programs, students can achieve their academic goals with less of a financial burden using a wide variety of University, federal, and state financial assistance, including merit-based scholarships, grants, and loans.
We encourage interested transfer students to visit Kean to learn more about the University and its many opportunities and to experience our world-class facilities. Visit kean.edu/visit to learn how you can streamline the application process. Find your path to climb higher!
Ranked in the Top 50 for Social Mobility | U.S. News & World Report
Named to the 2022 Phi Theta Kappa Transfer Honor Roll
Named a Best College in 2022 | Money magazine
Ranked in the Top 20 in the North for Most Innovative | U.S. News & World Report
• Founded in 1855 exclusively as a teacher education college
• Most affordable comprehensive university in New Jersey
• Federally designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution
• 16,000+ students
• 35% of students transferred to Kean
• Average age of transfer students: 20–24
• 50+ undergraduate degree programs
• Most popular transfer programs (in order):
- Business Management & Marketing
- Natural Sciences
- Early Childhood Education
- Accounting & Finance
• 17:1 student-faculty ratio
• Average class size of 20 students
• 30 minutes from New York City, with a train station adjacent to campus
• 11 eateries on campus, including two Starbucks, Smashburger, Jersey Mike’s Subs, Auntie Anne’s, and Barnes & Noble Café
• Three convenient campus locations throughout New Jersey