Grab your most forgiving pair of pants and bust out your college apps. This is gonna be a Thanksgiving to remember.
Thanksgiving is almost here! Take advantage of the extra-long weekend to make a serious dent in your college application and scholarship search processes. Because those Regular Decision deadlines will be here before you know it!
- In the morning when they’re just putting the turkey in, use the quiet time and your well-rested brain to work on your application essays, whether you’re writing them or polishing them up.
- Enjoy the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with all their fun musical numbers, floats, and costumes. Let it get you excited about joining all sorts of campus activities in the fall. Which organizations do you most want to join—or start?!
- Talk to your parents and extended family about your scholarship search while you peel potatoes. Ask if they know about any special scholarships, like awards offered by their employers.
- As you play a friendly game of touch football with your cousins before dinner, think about all your high school extracurriculars and make sure they’re all represented well on your college apps.
- Escape any *ahem* heated family discussions at the dinner table by going to a quiet corner of the house to edit and proofread your college applications. Make sure they’re free of spelling and grammatical errors, or your application will look as ridiculous as homemade cranberry relish. (THAT’S RIGHT. WE’RE CANNED CRANBERRY SAUCE PEOPLE.) Or, if you’d rather stay at the table, use this as an opportunity to prepare for resolving conflicts with your future college roommate.
- When you’re cornered by your well-meaning but nosy Aunt Susie, getting bombarded by questions about where you’re going to college, what you’re going to major in, and what you want to do for the rest of your life, remember to brush her off with lots of smiles, politeness, and these helpful hints.
- Grab a piece of pie to munch on as you narrow down your college list to your top 10–20 choices. You don’t need to choose your #1 school yet—just like you don’t need to choose between apple and pumpkin pie. One slice of each, please.
- When you’re too full to move, lie down on the floor with your phone. Use the downtime to search for more scholarships online. It requires little movement, we promise.
- Last but not least, as you’re thinking about all the things you’re thankful for, remember to include your college search. Sure, the admission process is stressful, but if you’re in a position to even think about going to college, that means you’ve been pretty lucky in life! You’ve got a good education behind you and a bright future ahead. And that’s really something to be thankful for.