Supportive. Personalized. Career Focused.
As Maine’s only Catholic college, Saint Joseph’s College provides a values-centered education that serves students’ curiosity for knowledge, their spiritual well-being, and their desire to give back to the community.
At the southern Maine setting just outside of Portland, a partnership among students, faculty, and staff sets a high standard for achievement and engagement. Students speak of feeling “at home” and having the chance to participate and take on leadership roles. Whether it’s signing up for intramurals, finding volunteer opportunities through the Mercy Center, or joining a student club, campus life provides many opportunities.
• Maine’s only Catholic college, founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1912
• Situated on 474 acres on the shore of Sebago Lake, 18 miles from Portland, two hours north of Boston
• Enrollment of about 1,000 students, 86% of whom reside on campus
• Strong liberal arts core with more than 40 majors and programs
• Small classes (average 16 students) with a student-faculty ratio of 12:1
• Over 30 clubs and organizations
• Division III intercollegiate athletics with 19 men’s and women’s varsity teams
• Values-centered environment with many options for community-based learning and volunteering
• 10 residence halls with choice of traditional, townhouse, or suite style
• Over 90% of students receiving financial assistance
• Accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
Areas of Study
• Business & Sports Management
• Human Resource Management
• Information Technology Management
• International Business
Communications, Fine Art, English & Writing
• Art & Design
- Business Communication
- Sports Communication
• Fine Arts
• Writing & Publishing
• Biology/Secondary Education
• Chemistry/Secondary Education
• Elementary Education
• English/Secondary Education
• History/Secondary Education
• Mathematics/Secondary Education
• Special Education
Exercise Science, Physical Education & Sports Management
• Exercise Science
- Fitness Leader
- Pre-physical Therapy
- Sports Performance
• Health & Wellness/Pre-occupational Therapy
• Health & Wellness Promotion
• Physical Education Teacher
• Sports Management
• Sports Management—Athletic Administration
• Self-Designed Major
Natural, Physical & Health Sciences
• Environmental Science
• Environmental Studies
• Marine Science
• Medical Biology
• Pre-physician Assistant
Partnership Degree Programs
• Criminal Justice
• Political Science
• Social Work
* Fast Track to Master of Accountancy
When you step into a classroom at Saint Joseph’s College, you gain a personal education—from the first day on campus through graduation. Most classes have only 20 students, and our student-faculty ratio is 12:1. Professors offer you not only their scholarship but also their professional insight. Your success is important at Saint Joseph’s.
Saint Joseph’s College offers more than 40 majors and 30 minors and concentrations based on a strong liberal arts foundation, with an emphasis on career preparation and community engagement. Academics at Saint Joseph’s are complemented by a campus culture where values and service are important. Many students roll up their sleeves and make a difference in someone’s life thanks to the Community-Based Learning program, an important component to many classes. Students also acquire valuable real-world experience through faculty-sponsored field research and workplace internships, helping them develop professional contacts. Our Career Development Center works closely with students to find internships and master time management, study skills, and test-taking strategies.
• Up to $2,000 stipend given to juniors and seniors to cover the cost of internships, travel, and research projects
• College-sponsored “meet and greets” for students with experts in their area of study to help make internship and job connections
The College also runs an honors program, as well as a program that counsels students still determining their major. Study Away is offered through the Council on International Education Exchange.
Imagine spectacular views of Mount Washington from a lakeside beach. We offer the best of both worlds on 474 acres of possibilities near the southern Maine coast, just two hours from Boston, nestled in a four-season recreation area surrounded by lakes and the foothills of the White Mountains. Prime skiing, hiking, and kayaking spots are nearby, and the culture and entertainment of Portland—Maine’s largest city—are just 18 miles away. The town of Windham, with a range of shops to meet everyday needs, is only minutes from campus.
As a member of the Great Northeast Athletic Conference, with 19 Division III varsity teams and a host of club and intramural teams, Saint Joseph’s offers students plenty of choices when it comes to competing and having fun. The Harold Alfond Center showcases a fitness and weight room, rock-climbing wall, suspended track, six-lane pool, 1,300-seat gym, dance studio, and student lounges overlooking the lake and mountains.
We offer a valuable, affordable education, and we want to take the concern about finances out of decision making. Each year more than 90% of our students receive assistance. We award a number of generous merit-based scholarships, up to $19,000 (renewable annually), along with need-based grants. We also offer a visit scholarship for $1,500.