Saint John's University
Come to Succeed
Saint John’s University and the College of Saint Benedict share a one-of-a-kind partnership that began over 60 years ago and is stronger and more connected today than ever. When you enroll at Saint John’s or Saint Ben’s, you become part of a close-knit community that fosters friendships and connections for a lifetime. Together, we offer the opportunities, course selection and extensive curriculum of a large university while retaining the small classes and personal attention you’d expect from a top liberal arts college.
Learning with distinction
As two of the top 50 liberal arts college values in America (per Money magazine), Saint John’s and Saint Ben’s are both aspirational and affordable. Blending academic rigor with an all-encompassing sense of community, we’re prepared to challenge and support you. What does that mean? Our students embrace difference. They think deeply. They engage globally. They serve graciously. They live courageously.
Dig in and do
At Saint John’s and Saint Ben’s, every student engages in high impact, immersive learning experiences. For many that means an internship specific to their area of study (many made possible through connections in the Johnnie/Bennie alum network). Others will spend a summer on campus engaged in research opportunities. Some will find service projects or clinical work. We’re also consistently among the nation’s leaders in the number of our students who study abroad.
Live and learn
When it comes to learning and living together in community, Saint John’s and Saint Ben’s have an unfair advantage. Our school founders have been showing us how for over 1,500 years. Discover yourself in social justice work. Wrap yourself in the arts. Empower yourself in varsity, club or intramural athletics. Explore your faith, your interests and your affinities. There are nearly 100 clubs and organizations across both campuses for you to find your niche or stretch your comfort zone.
#1 and #2 Colleges in Minnesota for Getting a Job | Zippia
CSB was ranked #19 and SJU #54 among liberal arts schools | Washington Monthly 2022
CSB and SJU are consistently ranked among the top national liberal arts colleges, in 2023 rankings, CSB and SJU ranked #94 | U.S. News & World Report
SJU and CSB were ranked #10 and #13, out of 50 schools respectively, in the Best Colleges in the Midwest category | Money magazine
Catholic Benedictine Sponsorship: Benedictine men and women are actively involved on both campuses as professors, administrators, and role models; approximately 50% of students are Catholic; students of all faiths are welcome.
Faculty: 280 full-time and 54 part-time; 85% of full-time faculty members have the highest degree in their field; 100% of classes are taught by faculty members.
Academic Programs: Liberal arts curriculum; more than 60 areas of study, with 37 majors and 40 minor programs; semester schedule with a Summer Term focusing on internships, research, and international study; offering Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science in Nursing degrees; student-faculty ratio of 11:1; average class size of 19.
• CSB and SJU students come from 41 different states and Puerto Rico and 14 countries
• 17.2% of students are US students of color
• 3.4% of students are international
• 17 semester-long and 20 short-term international study programs are offered every year.
• 62% of students participate in a semester-long study abroad program.
• CSB/SJU are consistently ranked among the top undergraduate colleges sending students abroad
• 100% of rooms have an in-room sink & mirror, along with individual closets, desks and desk chairs
• 90-95% of students live on campus through our four-year residency program
• More than 25 fulltime residential life staff on campus for safety, resources and social activity planning (split between CSB and SJU).
• Through a four-year residency program, nearly all students live on campus
Graduation: 78% of CSB/SJU students complete their degree; 90% of those graduates finish within four years.
• NCAA Division III athletics programs
• 23 varsity sports teams
• 16 club sports and 15 intramural sports.
• 19 music and vocal ensembles
• 100+ clubs and organizations
Placement: About 80% of graduates have found career-related positions or entered service work within one year of graduation.