A friendly, welcoming campus
International students form an important part of the campus life at Missouri Southern State University. Students from approximately 40 nations attend the University, which takes the initiative in helping them make friends with other students and contribute to the larger community.
Missouri Southern stands out among its peers for its friendly atmosphere, welcoming attitude, and superior academic programs. MSSU offers you a full calendar of international events, including a special theme semester each fall dedicated to the history and culture of another country.
A great location in the heart of America
Missouri Southern is a public university located in a city of 50,000, but as a hub for the surrounding area, the metro area has a daytime population of over 250,000. Therefore, we enjoy the safe and welcoming environment of a smaller community but also have the conveniences and advantages of a much bigger city.
Joplin has a modern airport, commercial bus station, and citywide trolley and taxicab services. The crime rate is low compared to major urban areas. The cost of living is well below the national average.
Our University has the same qualities. With nearly 6,000 students, we are able to give personal attention to each student. This is because our average undergraduate student-faculty ratio is 18:1. And with an average class size of 19, MSSU is just the right size for getting to know your professors, advisors, and fellow students while being able to pursue the opportunities offered by a large university. MSSU offers over 140 programs of study.
Joplin serves as the arts, health care, entertainment, and shopping hub for southwest Missouri and nearby states of Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas.
You are among friends
MSSU welcomes students from around the world. If language training is a concern, the Intensive English Program (IEP) provides classes in the fall and spring semesters. Courses in reading, composition, grammar, and speaking and listening as well as classroom technology, American history, and culture are featured. Each international student will have a Friendship Family who will invite you into their home for dinner, events, and special occasions.
The International Club at MSSU coordinates weekend and holiday activities for both American students who want to learn more about other countries and international students in the IEP.
Living in the residence halls is not only economical; it’s also very convenient. The residence hall complex includes a dining hall and student activity center, and classes are just a short walk away. Residence halls also include laundry facilities, where students have free use of washers and dryers. Living off campus is also an affordable option.
In the fall of 2017, a medical school will open in Joplin. A special program at Missouri Southern will reserve spaces for students who meet requirements. Plans are in the works to establish a School of Dentistry in coming years. We have outstanding programs in Arts and Sciences, Health Sciences, Business, and Education.
Come enjoy our beautiful campus and great activities
Our beautiful 363-acre campus includes state-of-the-art facilities as well as lots of open grassy spaces where students can enjoy a relaxing walk. Our library, health center, exercise center, and recreation facilities are available to all students. There are also over 80 organizations for students to participate in, including an active International Club, with year-round activities such as camping trips, holiday parties, trips to larger cities, dances, and ice skating. Our International Admissions Office works year round to guide students through the application process, orient them to life in the US, and help them throughout their time at MSSU.
We’d love to have you join us at MSSU. If you’re looking for a clean, safe campus in a vibrant and growing community, Missouri Southern State University is the right place for you.
If you have any questions, please contact International Admissions at email@example.com.
Missouri Southern State University is located in Joplin, Missouri. Part of Missouri Southern’s special appeal springs from its location in the heart of the continental United States. Mountains, lakes, rivers, backpacking trails, caverns, and national forests surround the Joplin area.
Type of SCHOOL: Public university located in Joplin, Missouri
Size of Campus: 373 acres
Number of Students: Total enrollment: 6,231; undergraduate enrollment: 6,117; graduate enrollment: 114
Number of Faculty: Student-faculty ratio of 18:1
Colleges, programs, and degrees: 140 academic
• Robert W. Plaster School of Business
• School of Arts and Sciences
• School of Education
• School of Health Sciences
Graduate degrees offered:
• Master of Accountancy (MAcc)
• Master of Arts—Teaching
• Master of Science—Criminal Justice Administration
• Master of Science in Education—Curriculum and Instruction
• Master of Science in Educational Administration
• Master of Science in Management
• Master of Science—Nursing
Geographic Diversity: Students from 40 states and 37
International Student Services: The Office of International Student Services is in Hearnes Hall 106.
• Phone: +1-417-625-3126
• E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
International Student Budget:
Itemized Tuition and Fees (2016):
Tuition (30 Hours) $10,717
Residence Halls and Meals$6,184
Total With Residence Halls$19,087
Financial Aid: International students are eligible for Academic, Transfer, and Foundation Scholarships*
• Freshman Scholarships:
- Awarded directly to entering first-time freshmen by Missouri Southern on the basis of ACT or SAT composite score, high school GPA, and class rank
• Transfer Scholarships:
- Available to new transfer students
- Awarded upon transcript evaluation and verification of the
- Transfer Scholarship Application must be completed within the
first semester of attending MSSU
• Foundation Scholarships:
- All students eligible
- Foundation Scholarship Application must be completed by
*Students must have an I-20 on file with our office to be eligible for any scholarship.
Test Score Requirements:
• High school diploma or equivalent, 2.25 GPA
• 2.0 GPA
• To join regular academic courses at MSSU:
- TOEFL 68 with 25 Writing
- IELTS 6.0 with 5.5 Writing (and no subscore below 5.0)
- iTEP 4.0
- MEPT 85
• Transfer students with 24 or more credit hours from US institutions can use their transcripts as proof of English proficiency.
• Students who do not meet English proficiency requirements will be placed in the Intensive English Program (IEP). Upon graduation from the IEP, students will then be admitted as regular degree-seeking students.
• Students who do not provide proof of English proficiency will take an English placement test upon arrival at MSSU to determine their beginning level in the IEP.
Application Deadlines and Fees:
Recommended deadlines for international students:
• Fall semester: July 1
• Spring semester: December 1
• Summer semester: May 1
Application fee of $50