International students are an essential part of campus life at Missouri Southern State University. We have an average of 220 international students from approximately 40 different countries who attend MSSU.
Missouri Southern State University is located in Joplin, Missouri. Part of Missouri Southern’s special appeal springs from its location in the heart of the continental United States. Mountains, lakes, rivers, backpacking trails, caverns, and national forests surround the Joplin area.
Type of SCHOOL: Public university located in Joplin, Missouri
Size of Campus: 373 acres
Number of Students: Total enrollment: 6,174; undergraduate enrollment: 6,021; graduate enrollment: 153
Number of Faculty: Student-faculty ratio of 20:1
Colleges, programs, and degrees: 140 academic programs offered
• Robert W. Plaster School of Business
• School of Arts and Sciences
• School of Education
• School of Health Sciences
Graduate degrees offered:
• Master of Accountancy (MAcc)
• Master of Science—Criminal Justice Administration
• Master of Science in Education—Curriculum and Instruction
• Master of Science in Educational Administration
• Master of Science in English Language Learners
• Master of Science in Management
• Master of Science—Nursing
Geographic Diversity: Students from 40 states and 40 countries
International Student Services: The Office of International Student Services is in Hearnes Hall 106.
• Phone: +1-417-625-9372
• E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
International Student Budget: (Itemized tuition and fees 2017)
Tuition (30 Hours) $11,002
Activity Fees $666
Insurance Fees $1,200
Textbook Rental $420
Residence Halls and Meals $6,314
Total with Residence Halls $19,602
Financial Aid: International students are eligible for Academic, Transfer, and Foundation Scholarships.*
• Freshman Scholarships:
- Awarded directly to entering first-time freshmen by Missouri Southern on the basis of ACT or SAT composite score, high school GPA, and class rank
• Transfer Scholarships:
- Available to new transfer students
- Awarded upon transcript evaluation and verification of the
- Transfer Scholarship Application must be completed within the first semester of attending MSSU.
• Foundation Scholarships:
- All students eligible
- Foundation Scholarship Application must be completed by
* Students must have an I-20 on file with our office to be eligible for any scholarship.
Test Score Requirements:
• High school diploma or equivalent, 2.25 GPA
• 2.0 GPA
• To join regular academic courses at MSSU:
- TOEFL 68 with 25 Writing
- IELTS 6.0 with 5.5 Writing (and no subscore below 5.0)
- iTEP 4.0
- MEPT 85
- TOIEC 700
• Transfer students with 24 or more credit hours from US institutions can use their transcripts as proof of English proficiency.
• Students who do not meet English proficiency requirements will be placed in the Intensive English Program (IEP). Upon graduation from the IEP, students will then be admitted as regular degree-seeking students.
• Students who do not provide proof of English proficiency will take an English placement test upon arrival at MSSU to determine their beginning level in the IEP.
Application Deadlines and Fees:
Recommended deadlines for international students:
• Fall semester: July 1
• Spring semester: December 1
• Summer semester: May 1
Application fee of $50
A friendly and welcoming campus
Missouri Southern stands out among its peers for its friendly and safe atmosphere, welcoming attitude, and our superior academic programs. MSSU offers you a full calendar of international events, including special themed semesters each fall dedicated to the history and culture of different countries.
A great location in the heart of America
Missouri Southern is a public university located in a city of 50,000; a hub for the surrounding area, the metro area has a daytime population of over 250,000. We enjoy the safe and welcoming environment of a smaller community but also have the conveniences and advantages of a much larger city. Joplin has an airport, commercial bus station, citywide trolley, and taxicab services, as well as Uber and Lyft. The cost of living is well below the national average. Joplin, a crossroads of culture, lies tucked away in the Ozarks of Southwest Missouri. Our downtown blooms as artists, chefs, and entrepreneurs invent new ways of resurrecting century-old structures.
MSSU offers over 140 programs of study. We have outstanding programs in Arts and Sciences, Health Sciences, Business, and Education. In the fall of 2017, MSSU partnered with the Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences to open a top-notch medical school located in Joplin.
• Ranked #7 for Top Public Schools in the Midwest, according to U.S. News & World Report
• One of 31 nationally accredited Environmental Health Programs
• Respiratory Therapy graduates have a 100% pass rate on the CRT exam.
• Dental Hygiene graduates have a 100% pass rate on the Clinical Boards and a 98% pass rate on Written National Board.
• Our Business graduates have ranked in the top 20% nationally on their Major Field Test.
• Accounting majors can earn a bachelor’s and master’s degree in five years.
• 90% of Education graduates are currently teaching; 5% are continuing their education.
• On-campus Intensive English Program
You are among friends
MSSU welcomes students from around the world. Each international student will have a Friendship Family who will invite you into their home for dinner, events, and special occasions. There are also over 80 registered student organizations, including International Club. The InternationalClub at MSSU coordinates weekend and holiday activities for both American students who want to learn more about other countries and international students. These include year-round activities such as camping trips, holiday parties, trips to larger cities, International Prom, and ice skating.
Come enjoy our beautiful campus and great activities
Our beautiful 373-acre campus provides state-of-the-art facilities including the Spiva Library, a health center, an exercise center, and recreation facilities that are available to all students. Living in the residence halls is not only economical; it’s also very convenient. The residence hall complex includes a dining hall and student activity center with classes just a short walk away. There are also multiple apartment complexes located within walking distance to campus.
Our International Admissions Office works year round to guide students through the application process, orient them to life in the US, and help them throughout their time at MSSU. If you’re looking for a clean, safe campus in a vibrant and growing community, Missouri Southern State University is the right place for you. If you have any questions, please contact International Admissions at email@example.com.