Founded in 1833, Stephens College believes in providing bold, ambitious young women with the tools, knowledge, and experiences they need to chase down their dreams. Stephens has become a leader in the creative arts by providing students with experiential learning, career preparation, and leadership opportunities in a small-college setting that emphasizes the individual and challenges everyone to pursue their most ambitious goals.
• Stephens offers significant performance opportunities each year across all disciplines.
• Students have the opportunity to graduate in three years by enjoying opportunities to act, dance, choreograph, and produce performances with summer intensives.
• The Princeton Review ranks the Stephens Theatre program #9 in the country.
• Students in the performing arts experience a mentor-apprentice relationship with professional faculty and guest artists.
• Students learn the ins and outs of producing an entire show as part of the student-run Warehouse Theatre Company.
• Students explore all aspects of performance, including box office management, set design, and technical theatre.
• Okoboji Summer Theatre is Stephens College’s own professional summer theatre. Located in a resort town in northern Iowa, ’Boji has just finished its 62nd year of performances.
• Students work alongside nationally recognized guest artists and network with professional working alumnae.
Stephens students are also changing the world as writers and educators, while others are pursuing their goals in fields such as equestrian studies, marketing, and psychology as well as the health sciences.
No matter their major, all students at Stephens benefit from small class sizes, a 10:1 student-faculty ratio, and a culture of respect and leadership.
A great college town
While Stephens College is the second-oldest women’s college in the country, it’s located in a large coeducational college town. Ranked as one of the best college towns in America, Columbia, Missouri, is home to 36,000+ college students. The town offers big-time college sports; film, music, and arts festivals; abundant recreation; and a vibrant downtown with plenty of places to eat and shop.
Most students live on campus-, just steps away from friends, professors, classrooms, labs, dining, and free laundry facilities. Students also have access to facility crews when needed and around-the-clock security. Stephens offers traditional residence halls, special housing communities, and apartment-style suites and options—all with residential advisors and programming.
The College Office of Financial Aid is always available to help families understand their options and is committed to the Stephens Solution College Affordability Plan. And Stephens’ Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD) offers a full range of services to assist with career planning. The CCPD partners with faculty, advisors, alumnae, and employers on a wide range of student success initiatives.