Founded in 1833, Stephens College believes in providing bold, ambitious young women with the tools, knowledge, and experiences they need to chase down their dreams.
Awards and accolades
• Stephens College has been recognized among the Best Fashion Schools in the World by Business of Fashion, London.
• Stephens is one of only 20 schools nationwide—and the only women’s college—that is a participant in the Council of Fashion Designers of America’s highly selective Education and Professional Development Program.
• Stephens Life, a student-run magazine, has received national recognition, including first place and an honorable mention at the College Media Awards, as well as fifth place for Design of the Year from the Associated Collegiate Press.
Opportunity and excellence
• More than 70+ visiting professionals from across the globe come to Stephens each year to share their expertise in fashion, design, and film.
• Students majoring in Digital Filmmaking begin working with professional film equipment their first semester and continue writing, producing, and directing original films throughout their career at Stephens.
• Students serve as project leaders, designers, and directors at Creative Ink, the student-run, integrated marketing communications firm. Creative Ink provides quality marketing, public relations, advertising, and design services to professional clients.
• Minors and advanced coursework in visual arts, design arts, film and photography, and costume and set design strengthen the creative arts experience.
Scope and commitment
Stephens College is a leader in the creative arts and health sciences. Stephens students are also changing the world as writers and educators, while others are pursuing their goals in fields such as equestrian studies, marketing, and psychology as well as the health sciences. Graduate and online students are making their impact too, advancing their careers in counseling, television and screenwriting, and physician assistant studies.
No matter their major, all students at Stephens benefit from small class sizes, a 10:1 student-faculty ratio, and a culture of respect and leadership.
A great college town
While Stephens College is the second-oldest women’s college in the country, it’s located in a large coeducational college town. Ranked as one of the best college towns in America, Columbia, Missouri, is home to 36,000+ college students. The town offers big-time college sports; film, music, and arts festivals; abundant recreation; and a vibrant downtown with plenty of places to eat and shop.
Most students live on campus—steps away from friends, professors, classrooms, labs, dining, and free laundry facilities. Students also have access to facility crews when needed and around-the-clock security. Stephens offers traditional residence halls, special housing communities, apartment-style suites, and other options—all with residential advisors and programming.
The College Office of Financial Aid is always available to help families understand their options and is committed to the Stephens Solution College Affordability Plan.
Stephens College is the first women’s college in the country to start a varsity collegiate all-women’s eSports team. We have joined the National Association of Collegiate eSports (NACE), which includes 90% of varsity collegiate eSports in the country.
Finally, Stephens’s Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD) offers a full range of services to assist with career planning. The CCPD partners with faculty, advisors, alumnae, and employers on a wide range of student success initiatives.
For those who dream up in the visual arts, Stephens College has the programs, recognition, opportunities, campus culture, and never-quit attitude to help you achieve your biggest, boldest dreams. Explore now at stephens.edu.