• Professional school deans’ information sessions: Deans from medical and dental schools and representatives of allied health programs visit ACU annually.
• Student research opportunities: The science departments at ACU have vibrant research programs.
• Medical missions: Our medical and dental alumni host spring break and summer medical missions.
• Biomedical ethics: Students explore current bioethical issues in the health care field, evaluate each issue at the philosophical level, and learn to respond from a Christian worldview.
• Surgery observation: Students have the opportunity to observe surgeries the entire first semester of their junior year.
• Letters of recommendation for medical and dental schools: Body & Soul participants develop a mentoring relationship with the Pre-Health Advisory Committee.
• Mock interview program: Using the experience of alumni and advisors, the mock interview program allows juniors to develop and hone their ability to interview well.
• Vitae updates: The Body & Soul program provides the support students need to present their experiences and qualifications to professional schools.
What opportunities are available for obtaining firsthand experience?
There are two large hospitals in Abilene where students volunteer. Other students are paid for working as orderlies, phlebotomists, or pharmacy technicians. Body & Soul also provides job-shadowing opportunities with local physicians.