May 1 is National Decision Day, which is typically the last day for students to send in their deposits and declare their final college choice. However, hundreds of schools have pushed back their decision deadlines to June 1 this year, and don't forget about those offering rolling admission!
For students who need to make a decision soon: a lot of work has brought you to this point. You've searched for colleges, researched them meticulously, applied to the ones on your list, and now you’ve received perhaps multiple offers of admission. You’re almost there—the last step is just figuring out where you want to go in the fall. (Then the real fun begins!)
We know this is a big decision. You might be wondering just what you should do. But we’ve got your back, just like we did during every other step of your college search! This is our best advice on how to make your final college decision, all in one easy-to-access place.
How to make your final college choice
“Where do I even begin?!” you may think. Well, start with these tips, including steps to take and questions to ask.
- Making Your Final College Decision: Receiving multiple college admission offers is a wonderful thing...until you can't choose between them! Check out this advice from a real admission officer.
- How to Choose a College Once You're Accepted: Still weighing your options? This student writer's advice can help guide you toward your ultimate college decision.
- Narrow Down Your College Choices: Follow these steps to help you find the colleges best suited to your needs.
Factors you need to consider
What are your top college criteria—the things you want and need in your best-fit school? Here's what you should consider before making your choice.
- The Most Important Factors for Choosing a College: These are the things you have to consider before making your final choice.
- 5 Things to Research Again Before Choosing a College: You should look into these factors again before choosing a college to ultimately attend.
- 4 Things You Shouldn't Overlook When Choosing a College: Don't ignore these four underrated aspects!
When you’re really torn between colleges
You’re down to a few colleges. What you need to do now is compare and contrast.
- 5 Steps to Making Your Final College Decision: Things you can do if you’re mulling over multiple admission offers
- How to Choose Between 2 Similar Colleges: How to pick one college over another when they seem virtually the same
- An Admission Insider's Guide to Making the Final College Decision: More important factors to take into consideration before picking a school
Keeping financial aid in mind
An enticing financial aid package could be the deciding factor if you’re not sure which school to commit to.
- College Financial Aid Awards Are Now Easier to Understand: How to analyze your award letters to know exactly what a school is offering
- How to Compare Your College Financial Aid Awards: You understand your financial aid packages now. So, which school is the best deal?
- How to Appeal Your College Financial Aid Package: If your financial aid package isn't up to snuff, these eight tips will help you make your case for more aid.
Making the best decision for you
After all, you’re the one who’s going to spend the next four years at this school.
- What to Do When You and Your Parents Disagree About College: Why you need to communicate and how to avoid a huge argument
- Soul Searching: Finding the Right School for You: Because there's no one "right fit" when it comes to college.
- Video: Deciding on a College: Student Vlogger Toni has some advice to help you out.
All’s well that ends well
If you’re upset with a college’s decision or worried you made the wrong choice, keep these encouraging words in mind.
- What to Do When You Don’t Get Accepted to Your Top-Choice School: A helpful strategy if you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of being rejected from your first choice
- How to Be Supportive This College Decision Season: Consider how you can be supportive to your friends during this stressful time.
- Here’s What Happens When You Choose the Wrong College: Spoiler: it's not the end of the world!
Your final college decision is ultimately your choice. Here's to making a great one!
Still undecided? Explore more content on how to choose a college!