National Decision Day, aka May 1, is typically the last day for you to send in your deposit and declare your final college choice.
A lot of work has brought you to this point: you searched for colleges, researched them meticulously, applied to the ones on your list, and now you’ve received perhaps multiple offers of admission. You’re almost there—the last step is just figuring out where you want to go in the fall. (Then the real fun begins!)
We know this is a big decision. You might be wondering just what you should do. But we’ve got your back, just like we did during every other step of your college search! This is our best advice on how to make your final college decision, all in one easy-to-access place.
How to make your final college choice
“Where do I even begin?!” you may think. Well, start with these tips, including steps to take, factors to consider, and questions to ask.
- Your Checklist for Making the Final College Decision: Nine steps to help you narrow down the colleges on your radar
- The Top 7 Things to Consider When Choosing a College: Plus lists of questions you should ask yourself about them
- How to Use Virtual College Tours for Your College Search and Final Decision: If you’re unable to visit campus one last time before choosing
When you’re really torn between colleges
You’re down to a few colleges. What you need to do now is compare and contrast.
- 5 Steps to Making Your Final College Decision: Things you can do if you’re mulling over multiple admission offers
- How to Choose Between 2 Similar Colleges: How to pick one college over another when they seem virtually the same
- An Admission Insider's Guide to Making the Final College Decision: More stuff to take into consideration before picking a school
Keeping financial aid in mind
An enticing financial aid package could be the deciding factor if you’re not sure which school to commit to.
- College Financial Aid Awards Are Now Easier to Understand: How to analyze your award letters to know exactly what a school is offering
- How to Compare Your College Financial Aid Awards: You understand your financial aid packages now. So, which school is the best deal?
Making the best decision for you
After all, you’re the one who’s going to spend the next four years at this school.
- What to Do When You and Your Parents Disagree About College: Why you need to communicate and how to avoid a huge argument
- Choosing the Right College for You: The most common characteristics and categories students assess to determine which school is the right choice for them
All’s well that ends well
If you’re upset with a college’s decision or worried you made the wrong choice, keep these encouraging words in mind.
- What to Do When You Don’t Get Accepted to Your Top-Choice School: A helpful strategy if you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of being rejected from your first choice
- Here’s What Happens When You Choose the Wrong College: Spoiler: not a whole lot
And one last reminder:
Here's to making a great one!