May 1 is National Decision Day, which is typically the last day for students to send in their deposits and declare their final college choice. While maintaining an official decision day is waning in significance as more and more schools are allowing a flexible deadline, it's still a great day to acknowledge all the hard work you've done and the big decision you're soon to make. A lot of work has brought you to this point. You've searched for colleges, researched them meticulously, applied to the ones on your list, and now you’ve received perhaps multiple offers of admission. You’re almost there—the last step is just figuring out where you want to go in the fall. We know this is a huge decision. You might be wondering just what you should do. But we’ve got your back, just like we did during every other step of your college search! This is our best advice on how to make your final college decision, all in one easy-to-access place.
Making your final college choice
- Making Your Final College Decision: Receiving multiple college admission offers is a wonderful thing...until you can't choose between them! Don't stress. Check out our insider tips!
- How to Choose a College Once You're Accepted: Accepted but still weighing your options? Before you send in your deposit, here are a few steps to guide you toward your ultimate college decision.
- 5 Steps to Making Your Final College Decision: So you're down to the wire on choosing your college. Time to make some tough decisions! These five steps will help.
- How to Choose Between 2 Similar Colleges: You've cut your final college list down to two, but they're both so similar! Here's what you should consider if you're having a hard time deciding between schools.
- Stuck on Choosing a College? Consider These 5 Things: Decision time is right around the corner. If you're still not sure where you want to go to college in the fall, check out these tips before taking the leap!
- How to Make a Final College Decision During COVID–19: Deciding where to attend college is hard at the best of times, but the pandemic makes it worse. This advice from a real student can help you make your choice!
- Telling Other Schools About Your College Decision: So, the acceptance letters have started rolling in, and you've settled on the perfect school for you. But how do you tell the others you've made your decision?
Considering important college factors
- The Most Important Factors for Choosing a College: There are many factors to consider as you conduct your search for the right college. These are some of the most important!
- 5 Things to Research Again Before Choosing a College: To find out which college is right for you, you need to do consistent research. Here are five factors you should look into again before choosing a college.
- 4 Things Not to Overlook When Choosing a College: There are many factors to consider in making your final college decision, but these are four of the more underrated things students shouldn't forget about.
- 5 Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing a College: Choosing a college can be a difficult decision. Here are five things to remember when you're choosing what school to commit to.
- 4 Factors That Impacted My College Decision: A high school senior shares four factors she considered most important when choosing a college.
- How Important Is Location in My College Decision?: It's important to think about the place, the physical area, of where you want to go to college—but it shouldn't weigh too heavily on your decision.
Keeping financial aid in mind
- How to Compare Your College Financial Aid Award Packages: Colleges vary wildly in what they offer for financial aid packages. Here's how to properly compare the details to ensure you're getting the best deal.
- 5 Common Myths About Financial Aid Offers: Financial aid packages are a huge part of the college decision process. Here are five things to remember before signing the dotted line.
- Get More Money by Appealing Your Financial Aid Award: The financial aid package you're initially offered doesn't have to be set in stone. Here's what to do to appeal yours and receive more money for college.
- How to Appeal Your College Financial Aid Package: If your financial aid package isn't what you expected, don't panic. These eight tips will help you make a case and appeal for more aid money from your school.
- Should I Take on Extra Debt to Attend My Dream School?: Your financial future is important, but it's tempting to take on extra student loans or other debt to attend your dream college. Here's some expert advice.
Making the best decision for you
- What if You and Your Parents Disagree About Colleges?: College is, in theory, that magical point where parents start to let go. Of course, some parents will just hold on a little tighter...Learn why you need to communicate and how to avoid a huge argument.
- More Than One Good Fit: Top Tips for Finding the Best Colleges for You: There is no one "right fit" when it comes to college. Here's some expert advice on curating a full list of colleges that could be right for you!
- Video: Top Tips on Making Your Final College Decision: Making your final decision on a college is a big step, and it's certainly not an easy one to make. Student Vlogger Toni has some advice to help you out!
- How to Tell If a College Is Right for You: Making your final decision on a college is a big step, and it's certainly not an easy one to make. Student Vlogger Toni has some advice to help you out.
Dealing with the unexpected
- Some Tough Love Advice to Help You Get Over a College Rejection Letter: Getting a college rejection letter can feel like the end of the world when it comes to your dream college. So, what can you do about it? Find out here!
- 4 Questions to Ask if You Get a Rejection Letter: Getting rejected from a college you're excited about is difficult. Ask yourself these four questions to help get past the sting of receiving a rejection.
- How to Write a College Decision Appeal Letter: So you got the thin envelope. Fortunately, your case isn't always closed upon that first rejection letter. Here are a few ways you could change their minds.
- What Can I Do If I Was Deferred From My Top College?: So, you were deferred by your top-choice school. What can you do to increase your odds of admission? Read on for a few tips from our experts.
- How to Be Supportive This College Decision Season: You've waited months for your college admission decisions. As those letters roll in, consider how you can be supportive of your friends during this stressful time.
- Changing Your College Plans Amid COVID-19: What Are Your Best Options?: Deferral, gap year, community college, or simply staying the course...if you have to make a decision during the pandemic, which is the right choice for you? Get advice from our experts.
Remember, once you make your final college decision, you’ll have to let all the other colleges you were accepted to know that you won’t be enrolling. Learn best practices for Telling Other Schools About Your College Decision from an admission expert!