From the elusive freshman year internship to summer programs abroad to that senior year gig that just might lead to your first post-grad job, internships never go out of style—which explains why we’re always talking about them! We have more internship tips than we knew what to do with, so we compiled our top articles and best advice for finding and rocking that job, wherever it might be. We also put together our favorite internship resources outside of CollegeXpress. So take a look, then start applying (yourself)!
Where to find internships
- AfterCollege: Search for open internship and entry-level positions, get found by hiring companies, and connect with employers directly.
- One Day, One Job: A Cornell University grad created this blog to profile companies around the country that are hiring at internship and entry levels. You can search for internship and entry-level opportunities too.
- InternMatch: One of the biggest internship search sites. And they have a helpful blog too.
- Idealist: The internship search with a nonprofit bent, Idealist can connect you not just with internships but volunteer opportunities and action groups. And when it comes to gaining applicable experience, those can be just as good as (if not better than) a traditional “internship.”
- Indeed.com: Don’t discount good ol’ Indeed. This no-frills job search aggregator lists plenty of internships, is easy to use, and gets the job done.
- Internships.com: Really, it's right there in their name.
- Personal Branding Blog: Expert insights for students who want to learn about self-advocacy, both in the admission process and when looking for a job.
- The Muse: It’s hard to stop clicking through the personalized work tips, job postings, educational resources, and inspirational posts from these seriously savvy young professionals.
- WayUp: Just for college students and recent grads, this site can connect you with internships and entry-level jobs.
How to land an internship
- 7 Insider Tips for Finding a Great Internship: Before you can apply to an internship, you have to find the right one. Here are seven tips to help you figure out what internship will work for you.
- Internships: Your Dream Job Diving Board: This article outlines why you should get an internship (in case you weren't convinced already) and offers lots of handy tips for finding positions that fit you.
- Need a High School Internship? Here's Where to Look: You may have heard about students getting internships in high school, but do you know where to find one? Here are some of the best places to look!
- Summer Jobs, Internships, and Volunteering: From summer jobs and internships to volunteering down the street or around the world, you can do so much more with your vacation than play video games in your basement. It just might be the key to getting into your dream college.
- How to Find Internships for Business Majors: Internships are an important tool for gaining experience and learning about one's preferences and interests. If you're majoring or would like to study Business, this advice is for you.
- 10 Tips for Landing an Awesome College Internship: From when to start looking to nailing the interview, these 10 tips will help you rock your college internships.
- 8 Network and Etiquette Tips to Help You Find Internships: Mastering the art of networking and professionalism will only help you land internships and jobs. Here are eight great tips to follow to get the gigs you want.
- Q&A: Internship and Career Prep Advice for Students of Color: We teamed up with AiLun Ku from The Opportunity Network to share advice about internships and career planning for students of color. Read our interview here!
Work tips for interns
- Types of College Internships and What They're Really Like: Guess what: internships are not about being the office errand runner. Here's what you should actually expect.
- A Quick List of Important Internship Do's and Don'ts: Internships are an exciting time in your academic career, and it's within your power to ensure you have an amazing experience. Just follow these do's and don'ts to make sure you fully benefit from all of your hard work.
- Top 10 Tips for Your First Job: While there are plenty of differences between student positions (like internships and cooperative education) and full-fledged employment, there are certain pieces of advice that will help you standout (in a good way) and stay ahead.
- How to Prepare Your Social Media for the Job Search: These days having a robust presence on social media is expected. You want people to find you! And you want them to like what they see. So here's how to prep your social platforms for this purpose.
- How to Balance Homework and Internships in High School: You may be one of the lucky ones who's snagged an internship as early as high school. That's awesome! But be prepared to put in the work. Here's a guide to help you balance your school responsibilities with your new internship.
- How to Turn an Internship Into a Full-Time Job: One of the biggest tips you can take advantage of is remembering that your internship could become your career. Here's how to do it if you're internship is the job of your dreams.
Advice from an experienced intern
Student vlogger J'Nae has more advice on finding internships in high school. Watch her video below:
We've compiled our top-tier content for other topics too, like writing application essays and paying for college. Check them out using the tag "our best advice."