From the elusive freshman year internship to summer programs abroad to that senior year gig that just might lead to your first post-grad job, internships never go out of style—which explains why we’re always talking about them!
We have more internship tips than we knew what to do with, so we compiled our top articles and best advice for finding and rocking that job, wherever it might be. We also put together our favorite internship resources outside of CollegeXpress. So take a look, then start applying (yourself)!
Where to find internships
- AfterCollege: Search for open internship (and entry-level) positions, get found by hiring companies, and connect with employers directly.
- One Day, One Job: A Cornell University grad created this blog to profile companies around the country that are hiring at internship and entry levels. You can search for internship and entry-level opportunities too.
- Looksharp: Once upon a time known as “InternMatch.” One of the big internship search sites. And they have a helpful blog too.
- Idealist: The internship search with a nonprofit bent, Idealist can connect you not just with internships but volunteer opportunities and action groups. And when it comes to gaining applicable experience, those can be just as good as (if not better than) a traditional “internship.”
- Indeed.com: Don’t discount good ol’ Indeed. This no-frills job search aggregator lists plenty of internships, is easy to use, and gets the job done.
- Internships.com: Really, it's right there in their name.
- Personal Branding Blog: Expert insights for students who want to learn about self-advocacy, both in the admission process and when looking for a job.
- CareerSushi: Why “sushi”? Because you should be as selective in your internship choice as you would be with any raw fish you put in your mouth. Something like that. We get it. They host your spiffy digital profile and match you with positions and employers. A “freemium” service.
- The Muse: It’s hard to stop clicking through the personalized work tips, job postings, educational resources, and inspirational posts from these seriously savvy young professionals.
How to apply to internships
- Internships and Co–ops Q&A: Internships and co-ops are really more than jobs; they're learning experiences. One of the great things about them is that you win no matter what you do, because virtually any experience is good experience.
- Internships: Your Dream Job Diving Board: This article outlines why you should get an internship (in case you weren't convinced already) and offers lots of handy tips for finding positions that fit you.
- Summer Internships: More and more companies are offering internships specifically to high school students, so why wait?
- Internships: Set Yourself Apart: A college degree alone is no longer a job guarantee. Yet many students and their parents are overlooking an integral ingredient in the recipe for success—internships.
- Tips on Scoring High School Internships: More and more teens are looking to internships for a taste of real-world experience in their potential career, but one option students may overlook is working locally.
- Summer Jobs, Internships, and Volunteering: From summer jobs and internships to volunteering down the street or around the world, you can do so much more with your vacation than play videogames in your basement. Sound crazy? Maybe, but it just might be the key to getting into your dream college.
- Securing a Sports Internship: Breaking into the sports industry is tough, but it's not impossible. Here, an expert in the field offers his advice on how to increase your chances of landing a coveted sports internship.
- How to Get Work Experience as a Student: For anyone who is fresh out of college and looking for a job, the famously circular reasoning of the job search is one of the great sources of frustration. You cannot get a job without experience. You cannot get experience without a job. How do you break the cycle?
Work tips for interns
- 5 Ways to Work an Internship and Maintain Your Social Life (Without Losing Your Mind): It may seem like your internship is gobbling up your social life, but that doesn't have to be the case. An intern who's been there shares her advice for finding a good work-life balance.
- How to Rock at Your Summer Job or Internship: It's that time of year where high school and college students are either looking for or starting their summer jobs. No matter what type of job you land, there are a few key tips to keep in mind to make yourself stand out!
- Internship Do's and Don'ts: Internships are an exciting time in your academic career, and it's within your power to ensure you have an amazing experience. Just follow these do's and don'ts to make sure you fully benefit from all of your hard work.
- Top 10 Tips for Your First Job: While there are plenty of differences between student positions (like internships and cooperative education) and full-fledged employment, there are certain pieces of advice that will help you standout (in a good way) and stay ahead.
- How to Have a Professional Presence on Social Media: These days having a robust presence on social media is expected. You want people to find you! And you want them to like what they see.