At Saginaw Valley State University, we value the importance of STEM to push boundaries, improve lives, and advance us into tomorrow. Our hard-working students are leaders, problem-solvers, researchers, and innovators who question the obvious and embrace their curiosity.
AT A GLANCE
Location: Michigan’s Great Lakes Bay Region near the cities of Saginaw, Midland, and Bay City, Michigan
Type of School: Public university founded in 1963
Athletics: 19 NCAA Division II athletics teams
Students: 8,265 students; 17:1 student-faculty ratio
Points of Pride:
• SVSU offers more than 90 graduate and undergraduate programs.
• Ranked “Best Dorms” of any public university in the US
• 8,056 different employers hire through SVSU Career Services.
• 1,000+ private scholarships are available, in addition to academic university scholarships.
• 90% of students receive scholarships and/or financial assistance other than loans.
• Most affordable tuition in the state of Michigan (2019)
- In-state tuition and fees: $10,035
- Room and board: $10,411
• Average GPA: 3.46
• Average ACT score: 22.5
• Average SAT score: 1090
• Essay required: No
Top 10 Majors:
3. Elementary Education
4. Social Work
5. Computer Science
7. Criminal Justice
8. Exercise Science
• PRESIDENT’S SCHOLARSHIP: 100% tuition and mandatory fees. Criteria: 3.9+ GPA with 1270 SAT or 28+ ACT; 3.0+ GPA with 1350+ SAT or 30+ ACT; or ranked #1 or #2 in your class
The following scholarships are automatically awarded based on your academic achievement in high school:
• FOUNDER’S SCHOLARSHIP: $5,000 every year for four years; 3.6+ GPA with 1200+ SAT or 26+ ACT
• DEAN’S SCHOLARSHIP: $4,000 every year for four years; 3.0+ GPA with 1120+ SAT or 24+ ACT
• CARDINAL AWARD: $3,000 every year for four years; 3.0+ GPA with 1060+ SAT or 22+ ACT
• UNIVERSITY AWARD: $2,000 every year for four years; 3.7+ GPA and test optional, or 3.0+ GPA with 900+ SAT or 18+ ACT
We embrace challenges and are constantly discovering something new. With small class sizes, hands-on experience, and industry-connected professors, you will be engaged and supported in our outstanding programs:
• Actuarial Science
• Agricultural Studies
• Applied Mathematics
• Alternative Energy
• Computer Information Systems
• Computer Science
• Electrical Engineering
• Engineering Technology Management
• Mechanical Engineering
Students in our College of Science, Engineering & Technology compete—and win—against the world’s best. Engineering students in our Cardinal Formula Racing team twice have built the fastest college race car in the world at the Formula Society of Automotive Engineers competition. Computer science students have out-programmed others to place among the top 100 in the world.
We combine classroom instruction with hands-on experience, so we provide our students with plenty of practical knowledge. Our Honors Program and Undergraduate Research Program give students unique opportunities to engage in faculty-mentored research projects, as well as publish and present their original findings at national and international conferences. Also, our Saginaw Bay Environmental Science Institute provides students with exclusive research opportunities in the Saginaw Bay Watershed—one of the world’s best freshwater laboratories.
Our students and faculty have a passion for discovery, research, and ultimately answering the age old question, “Why?” We have opportunities for you to pursue this new passion with your own research; SVSU provides up to $5,000 per student project. At SVSU, we push limits and are driven to succeed. That is why we have:
• 97% overall job placement for graduates
• #1 exclusively undergraduate formula racing team in the world
• #2 best ranked computer programming degree in Michigan
• State-of-the-art lab equipment and 17 modern engineering laboratories
• A metal casting foundry
• $5 million in funding to support STEM student projects
Our engineering students work with community leaders to design ride-on toy cars for children with special needs and partner with regional businesses to develop real-world solutions for clients.
Our STEM programs are nationally accredited and prepare our students to soar in graduate school and their careers. Our Cardinals attend some of the best graduate schools in the country and earn internships at companies like Dow, DuPont, Ford, and General Motors—often leading to full-time positions.
Whether you are studying the waters of Michigan’s Great Lakes Bay Region, leading research in cyber behavior and biometrics, joining the biology club or chemistry club, exploring our on-campus ecological research area, or working with the US EPA on rapid testing water quality of public beaches, SVSU has every opportunity for you to excel.
The Cardinals of SVSU thrive in STEM and challenge themselves to reach for the extraordinary. We lead, discover, innovate, create, and explore where our ideas take us. Our academics combine engaging classroom study with practical experience, providing our students with the tools they need to succeed. Our passionate professors are committed to helping you grow, learn, and thrive so that you can reach your full potential. They know you by name and offer one-on-one mentoring for professional, medical, and graduate programs. At SVSU, the opportunities are endless and your success is limitless.